NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-23-2003, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Default Society for American Baseball Research (SABR)

Posted By: jay behrens 

Just curious who all here belongs to SABR. I've been a member since 1988.

For those like Scott who are uncertain about what your $50 gets you, here is a basic breakdown.

You get a monthly newletter that gives retails about regional meeting, board elections, research wnats and needs and other topics.

You get The Baseball Research Journal and The National Pastime. These books are loaded with great articles and research. TNP usually has a theme, such as last years theme, baseball during WW2.

There are also usually 1-4 other books published buring the year. These include great books such as ones on the Federal League, a HUGE book on the Negro Leagues and reprints of old hard to find baseball books.

There are also large number of different committees you can join. Research is not required, but if you are asked help with something, it is expected that you will at least try. Mostly, this will involve going to local library to research old issues of local newspapers. All of the committees have their own snail-mail newsletters and email newsletters.

I am personally invovled with Statistical, Records, 19th century, Dead Ball Era, Negro Leagues and MN Twins committees.

You can also subscribe to the SABR-L electronic newsletter that has an incredible amount of information.

All of this really is worth far more than the $50 it costs, and if thought you knew baseball, be prapared to learn a lot of things you never thought you would about baseball.

their website can be found at http://sabr.org

Jay

Old 12-23-2003, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Another benefit that almost fogot because it is so new, The Sporting News is making all of it's issues available online. SABR memebers get a huge discount on the subscription and I know a number of you do your own research. Who wouldn't love to be able to read thru early issues of TSN without having to worry about brittle pages breaking while trying to read them. And all reports I've heard from SABR members say that search function is really good.

Jay

Old 12-23-2003, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S

and concur with Jay's comments. Anybody here who is at all interested in the history of the game (everybody?) should seriously consider joining. Just getting the e-mail digests from the general membership and the 19th century sub-group is worth the price of membership for me. While some of the sub-groups are not always active, when they are, they provide just about the only way to get ahold of current research in those areas. And come to think of it, it's a lot like the atmosphere here: there's a lot of info out there that isn't published and never will be, but that doesn't stop a hardy few from putting a lot of effort into researching and reporting on, for instance, yearly changes in the rules up to 1870.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

I just joined this November, which I actually means I become a member beginning on Jan 1. I'm very much looking forward to the publications and am most interested in the 1846 - 1930's time period.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nickinvegas

Jay,

I have been a member for a few years now. For fifty dollars it is not a bad deal.

I have been a bit dissapointed with the information or lack there of on the history of Latin Baseball players. But this is not uncommon, despite the huge influence Latino's have had on the game.

The newsletters and lending library has been of great help to me in my research of other topic's. When the Bio-project is done it will be a great resource.

I give SABR 4 out of 5 stars.

Regards,
Nick

Old 12-23-2003, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: three25hits

Well worth it as stated...

Old 12-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

I've been a memeber since '95. The books alone are worth the price of membership, and the contacts are great if you do any research.

Jeff

Old 12-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Cowan

I am a member and can say nothing but positive things about the organization.

Your membership fees are down right cheap when you consider all that you receive.

If you're not a member I would recommend that you become one.

Old 12-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

here too.....

Old 12-25-2003, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

Well worth the $50. I believe that it is a not for profit organization so most of the dues should be used for the members.

Old 12-25-2003, 09:12 AM
Administrator

I couldn't remember off the top of my head if SABR was non-profit or not, but the dues can be used as a tax deductions, I believe.

Jay