NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Default Does anybody remember the Baseball Card Society

Posted By: Jason

Back in 87 when I was a lad of age 9 I started collecting cards.

My mom thought it would be nice to give me a years membership to the Baseball Card Society. So every month I got some random cards from various years and offers to buy other cards.

The reason I bring this up is that it gave me my first opportunity to purchase a T206. I had never even heard of these cards, but the thought of owning something that was 80+ years old was really cool to me. (and still is)

Anyways, I sent off my saved up allowance. (30 bucks I think) and I got a EX-MT condition Zack Caminitz with a plain jane Piedmont back. Was a real cool experience for me. Does anybody remember this organization? Is there anything similar to this nowadays? My nine year old son is becoming interested in the hobby and something like that would be pretty cool for him.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

I remember for a few months in the 80,s one of the then prominent dealers from Brooklyn NY ran an ad for something similiar,it sounds like the same. He was very big in the hobby until he started getting a terrible reputation. I can,t think of his name but I remember he relocated to Huntington NY about 20 minutes from my house and I paid a visit to his office and remembered being kicked out for questioning him on several cards. I am sure somebody on this board will remember his name as it slips mine. CN

Old 05-17-2008, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

This guy?

Baseball Card Society Incorporated
138 Beverly Rd
Huntington Station, NY 11746
Phone: (631) 424-2427

Looks like he is still in business.

Steve

Old 05-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Are you thinking of David Festberg?

Old 05-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peck

Is he the guy that set up at East Coast shows in the early 1980's and worked his table like a Carnival Barker?

Old 05-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Galovich

If memory serves correctly which is a long shot at my advanced age I believe that was Stanley Apfelbaum who ran this deal, He was a coin dealer who saw the "hot" card market & saw some easy $$$$$ ..He was not offering any real blue chip quality stuff, probably anything old he could get at low prices for resale ...I am pretty sure he is now deceased & would be very surprised if they are still operating

Old 05-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

That sounds about right. None of the cards I got were great shakes. He did have monthly offering that were optional and that was where I got that T206. It was kind of neat though for me since I live in a more remote locale in Canada and card shows and baseball cards were in short supply.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:18 PM
Matt

Default local pickup today...

I picked up this batch of 20 t206's today locally and each screw down holder was labeled 'Baseball Card Society' on the front. A little research led me to this very old thread. It was some sort of mail in program from the later 1980's.

All cards are commons, but half of them have Sovereign backs. All are in the Poor to VG range. There are 9 Piedmonts and 1 Sweet Cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230210_174839.jpg (193.0 KB, 123 views)
Old 02-10-2023, 09:39 PM
Frank Wakefield

My recollection was that Mr. Apfelbaum was a stamp dealer.

But having Googled a bit, Stanley was a coin dealer; and worse, a lawyer...

Tom was right, up above.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 02-10-2023 at 09:44 PM.