NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-14-2019, 12:07 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

Default Cards featuring Managers

If I'm not mistaken, the last time that MLB managers were featured in a major set was in the 2016 Topps Heritage set.

What gives? Does anyone know why Topps stopped issuing cards of managers.

Personally, I would like to see them return to the Topps regular issue set.

I'm curious to see how the rest of you feel about this.

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 09-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Curt

My first real exposure to baseball cards came in 1978 and each manager had his own card and there were team cards too. I guess I would have expected that to be normal, knowing nothing else about cards before those. The following season, managers didn't have cards but got a small photo on the team card. I would come to find out that this was done in the past as well and would continue for several years after. I think it was 1983 when Topps finally gave managers their own cards again.

Personally, I don't mind them, but I also don't buy new cards in packs anymore, only singles I want. I remember as a kid, the feeling I got when instead of another player, I got that stupid yellow checklist. Manager cards may provide the same letdown for some. I always liked the "special" subset cards though, regardless of what they were (except checklists).

I even enjoy the "premium" oddballs, like the GM autos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l640.jpg (45.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 581bbce2ca392_189853b.jpg (53.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (79.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg nedcollettitoppsautograph.jpg (75.7 KB, 121 views)
Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

I didn't know who Ned Colletti was until I just did a quick Google search.

But his toupee is almost as bad as Joe Pepitone's

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Having managers in the base set would be nice. If only to cut down on the duplicated player cards which seems to be getting worse.

I always liked the "as a player, as a manager" type design and wished that there could be more of those. Throwback cards of managers from their playing days.

Also a reason I like minor league team sets, they will put cards in for the coaches as well, who are often ex-players.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Am I the only one who sees this year's Topps base set as the most disorganized, from a numerical standpoint, set ever?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-18-2019, 02:38 PM

I stopped trying to do the sets because of that. The last one I was working on was 2016, when I saw 2017 was just as bad I threw in the towel.