NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2021, 05:33 AM
Mike

Default New member intro - Hello everyone!

Funny story.....

I found this site by complete accident while searching for "does PSA authenticate fake cards" on google. I've always had my doubts about PSA and my research led me to this wonderful oasis. I've been thankful for finding you all for several reasons, but the most important reason is probably my sanity. Short back story.....

I was forced into early retirement earlier this year by my company of 31 years. Thanks to this and my newly found free time, I decided to pull out my lil ol' collection sometime around the end of January. As my research led me further and further down the collectors rabbit hole, I thankfully arrived here.

Fast forward a few months, and I must say, this is the most wonderful group of random people I have ever "met" and I've only been here a short time!!!!! Please accept my apologies for not introducing myself sooner, I was admittedly a kid in a candy store when I first arrived.

I haven't sold any thing but have made several purchases already. Everyone has been beyond fantastic and one transaction in particular caused me to finally step up and introduce myself because I wanted to please share.

I am a HUGE cubs fan and I would like to please thank one of the more tenured members on this forum that I was fortunate enough to encounter, quinnsryche
The Cubs programs I purchased "really tied the room together man" lol

I suppose I have rambled on long enough, but I did want to offer up a sincere thank you for allowing me to join and I hope to pull up a chair and stay awhile as they say down here in the south.

Best regards and pics attached.....
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg room 1.jpg (17.5 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg room 2.jpg (18.9 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg room 3.jpg (15.1 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg room 4.jpg (12.5 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg room 5.jpg (16.1 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey; 06-03-2021 at 06:08 AM. Reason: added more pictures
Old 06-03-2021, 05:35 AM
Mike

Oh......I painted that room myself, took forever and a day lol
Old 06-03-2021, 05:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice story, Mike. Nice room too.
There are thousands of good folks on this forum. And a whole lot of them will help you., This isn't like a social media platform. It's a little tighter knit community. But with around 12000 members you still need to be cautious. Good luck in your collecting pursuits!
Old 06-03-2021, 06:03 AM
octavio ranzola

Welcome mike octavio
Old 06-03-2021, 06:10 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

From one Cubs guy to another, welcome to Net54. You will find an infinite set of knowledgeable people in all forums. I have found them extremely great in the sharing of their knowledge.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:11 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Nice story, Mike. Nice room too.
There are thousands of good folks on this forum. And a whole lot of them will help you., This isn't like a social media platform. It's a little tighter knit community. But with around 12000 members you still need to be cautious. Good luck in your collecting pursuits!
Thanks, just happy to be on the team coach! (kidding)
Old 06-03-2021, 07:12 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Welcome mike octavio
Thank you Octavio!
Old 06-03-2021, 07:21 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
From one Cubs guy to another, welcome to Net54. You will find an infinite set of knowledgeable people in all forums. I have found them extremely great in the sharing of their knowledge.
Thanks! If I may say (with regards to this season so far)....its been fun, with a side order of unexpected. I know this is our last hoo-rah with contracts coming up, so hopefully we can keep it up over 162 and get hot at the end?

Swami prediction of the year........ Cubs over the Padres in 6 for the NLCS, we lose in 7 to Tampa

and yes I have taken my meds today (kidding)
Old 06-03-2021, 08:02 AM

Welcome aboard Mike! The Cubs programs are great but I’m really impressed by the paint job! You must have tremendous patience (and/or tons of painters tape) to get the pinstripes looking so good.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:06 AM
Jason Wells

Welcome to the forum. Very cool room!
Old 06-03-2021, 08:16 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey View Post
Thanks! If I may say (with regards to this season so far)....its been fun, with a side order of unexpected. I know this is our last hoo-rah with contracts coming up, so hopefully we can keep it up over 162 and get hot at the end?

Swami prediction of the year........ Cubs over the Padres in 6 for the NLCS, we lose in 7 to Tampa

and yes I have taken my meds today (kidding)
I am still concerned about the starting pitching. The bull pen has been lights out but I wonder if that can last the entire year. As an old, old Cubs guy I have seen too many May, June, July, beginning of August and the swoons!!! If you have any Cubs needs holler at me. In addition, as I found out, there are many people on this site that will be glad to help you out.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:33 AM
Howard Chasser

Default That's incredible!

The paint job!! I have done much more simple room painting and appreciate what is involved - I can't imagine attacking the paint job in your room!
The collection is nice too. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to Net 54!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:24 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Welcome!
Old 06-03-2021, 01:17 PM
James M.

Welcome Mike,

You'll find all sorts of collectors here, ranging from various ages and walks of life. I must say it's probably one of the most generous and knowledgeable boards I have ever been a part of. There are some great people here.

Fantastic Job with the room, I might have to call you up if I ever want my Walls to be done in Yankee Pinstripes

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:38 PM

Welcome aboard. I, for one, will not hold the fact that you are a Cubs fan against you...
Old 07-01-2021, 03:24 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
The paint job!! I have done much more simple room painting and appreciate what is involved - I can't imagine attacking the paint job in your room!
The collection is nice too. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to Net 54!
Funny story about the paint job and new pics......

I went to a out of town conference many years ago and was told by my lovely wife she was going to surprise me with a new paint job to my room. I helped pick out this scheme and showed her how to paint interiors (she had never done it before) then left out of town for like 5 days.

Came back, she had done 3 of 4 walls solid color, which was kinda sorta the plan and they looked........ok.

But this main wall, she wouldn't touch it lol, knew I was too picky and was unsure of how to really "lay it out". So I painted it, took like 2or 3 days, but pretty happy with how it turned out. Here's a few updated pix of some additional knick knacks I've picked up.

Also, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and compliments! Finally getting settled down and able more time to spend checking out things things around here!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my room.jpg (34.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg new pennant.jpg (63.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 07-01-2021, 05:42 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Great job of painting the room!! Love the colors and how you have your "knick knacks" displayed.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:46 PM
Brian Clatfelter

Default Welcome

Welcome Mike. I have also been a member for a short time and am learning the ropes from a lot of these guys. It is unfortunate you are a Cubs fan ha ha. I am a lifelong Reds fan and have gotten used to taking a beating from the Cubs lately. I live in North Carolina now, but was born in Cincinnati and went to high school near Indianapolis. The Indianapolis area was split between Cubs and Reds fans and cable TV brought in WGN to convert even more.

At some point, I’ll put together an introductory statement like you did. Very well done! And I do love the room and the paint job. Again, welcome to the site.
Maybe will meet up in the future. I do plan on attending the National in Chicago at the end of July and I’m going to go to see the Reds and Cubs play at Wrigley for the first time. Good timing on that one.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 07-01-2021, 08:33 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianclat11 View Post
Maybe will meet up in the future. I do plan on attending the National in Chicago at the end of July and I’m going to go to see the Reds and Cubs play at Wrigley for the first time.
That's awesome and yeah, maybe.......I hope you enjoy Wrigley, its a blast and if you can, try to get there early and "take it in".

This was the last game I attended in person. May 21 2014 (I shot this from above the Under Armour sign in right center, took me awhile to find this pic lol)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeters last game at wrigley.jpg (80.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 07-02-2021, 11:17 AM
Brian Clatfelter

Great shot! I will definitely try to get there early and walk around a bit. Thanks for the info.

Tags
cubs, introduction, new member, pennants, programs