NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Auctions Collect.com shipping fees

Just got my invoice for a high bid on last night auction. To ship one small slabbed card, high bid = $55, they want $19.18, excluding insurance. What a great way to tell bidders that they do not want repeat business. Future bidders might want to factor this in their plans.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Matt Wieder

Ouch. Maybe that's just the result of how some houses do invoicing where first they have some crazy huge number and then in the next day or two, it gets adjusted.

BTW, you're saying that doesn't include the BP, correct?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 AM

Default no BP

Hi Matt, did not include buyer premium; that was an upfront 17% fee. Was ok with that, as it was explicit.
jim
Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 AM
keith janosky

I had a problem with shipping costs with them on there first auction. can't remember the exact numbers but I won a bat and it was 100.00 or so and they wanted to charge me 25.00 shipping. I think it was figured for UPs express and I told them I live 90 mmiles from you guys and can drive there for less than that so they lowered it to UPS ground which I think was still 15 or 17.00 dollars. They did lower it though so call and ask for the cheapest price they can ship. People need to complain about high shipping costs. These auction companies already make money on sellers fees and buyer fees no need to make more on shipping. yes there are packing supplies but with say a 17% sellers fee and 17% buyers fee it is 35-40% they make and to try and milk more out of the people for shipping is crazy.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
yes there are packing supplies
That customized packing tape is expensive!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Al

Default Auctions Collect

Those vacations on the beach are expensive to!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not that you should have to but....

You really shouldn't have to but I would hope folks check with whomever they are having issues with before posting on a public site. That includes all companies, not just an advertiser on the board . It only seems fair to give them a shot to make it right. Again, not that you should have to but still.....
Old 01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
James Gallo

I got a follow up email from them saying they send everything Fed Ex 2 day shich explains the shipping cost, that being said it is really stupid to send a computer generated bulk invoice.

I won a small item for $10, shipping was $19.18 and insurance was $3. I felt this was a bit stupid but got the item cheap and it was posted up front in the rules. Still someone with some common sense should look at this and say the guy is going to pay double the cost of the item just to ship it, and $3 for insurance was just insane. Regardless I won something from thier last auction and it was fine, I am sure this will be fine as well but they need to revise however the invoices get sent.

UPDATE as I was typing this I got a revised invoice and an email directly from one of the reps, it put my shipping down to $7.92 and no insurance. Very quick and professional, I just don't understand why they didn't do this in the first place.

That being said I generally don't like to wait for my items, so if I had bought something more expensive I would have paid the shipping.

James G

Last edited by JamesGallo; 01-29-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default restate the obvious

To restate my last thought, and it looks like James just corroborated it, please check with anyone (or company) about shipping charges when they are out of line. I have probably participated in at least 200 auctions and every single time I had a shipping cost issue once the company was notified it was taken care of. Again, shouldn't really have to, but..... .
Old 01-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Default point made

Everything I wrote was the truth and factual; I or anyone else should not be afraid to state such things. No one should be afraid to speak the truth, no matter whose toes get stepped on; be it another board member or an ad banner client. Having said all that, it is good advice to cool off and see if things can be worked out satisfactory. I surely will take that point away Leon.
jim
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Jim

Every single advertiser, on this board, has been called out at one time or another. That is part of the deal with them having a banner here. They know I can't, and won't, protect them from what people say. A few companies wanted me to and they aren't banner advertisers anymore. How could this board be "real" if that happened? I appreciate you taking my point the way it was intended. I agree with everything you said too. regards
Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Steve Bloedow

Default shipping costs

Guys, our system automatically quotes FedEx 2-day shipping and we get a residential delivery charge and signature confirmation so that's why it is initially high. We have always found that most people want their items quickly and are fine with paying for 2-day delivery. For those who don't need it right away or want a less expensive way, we state in our invoices to email us (auctions@collect.com) to request a ground delivery quote.

I'm sorry it's initially high, but we are more than happy to work with each and every customer to reduce that cost. If you go to the FedEx site and get a shipping quote, you'll quickly find out that, in almost all cases, there is no markup whatsoever for the shipping cost, shipping materials, etc.

As always, thanks for following our auctions and if there's ever an issue, please email me directly at Bloedow@collect.com. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 PM
James Gallo

Default Not 100% True

[QUOTE=blades3;778850] we state in our invoices to email us (auctions@collect.com) to request a ground delivery quote.
QUOTE]

This is not true at all. I got a follow up email that said if I wanted to change the shipping to contact you. It did not say anything like that in the invoice I initially got.

I am not trying to be an ass just being very clear about what is written where. Again I have no problem paying the extra when needed, so this wasn't an issue just pointing out the facts.

James G
Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Steve Bloedow

Default James is correct

Yes, James is correct on this. The original invoice were supposed to include this reference, but did not. That's why we sent out a follow-up email to our database mentioning the ground quote for non-breakable items.