NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Tom Hansen

Default 1970s baseball pinbacks

Desperately searching for anything you guys know about these.
(longtime collector, first-time Net54'er.)
I know they were sold at ballpark concessions, and not MLB or MLBPA approved. I have only found Cubs, Red Sox, Giants, Orioles Brewers and A's examples. All of them are shot on the same style background and have a facsimilie autograph in brown (with the look of a felt tip pen). A couple of years ago i reached out to Lifson and Muchinksy, but neither had any insight. I'm interested in other players/teams you may know of, and any other background on them . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknownpinbacks.jpg (50.9 KB, 1754 views)
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Mike Kendall

I don't know much about them but I also have a Glenn Beckert and Billy Williams. Who is the Cub between Pepitone and Santo? I don't have that one.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 AM

I am almost positive I have seen a Roberto Clemente button from this series before.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Tom Hansen

i just picked up Billy Williams on ebay. i also have many Red Sox, and Vida Blue is the only A's example I have. i will now obsess over the Clemente. Thanks for that!
The mystery Cub is apparently Jose Ortiz, who played 36 games for the Cubs in 1971. That clearly dates the pin, since Ortiz was in the White Sox system in 1970
Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Default Photo of Clemente Pin

I found this photo of the Clemente pin. It's a small picture but it's proof that it does exist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clemente pin.jpg (8.1 KB, 1680 views)
Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Tom Hansen

wow. thats awesome. looks like the other one is a senator, so maybe they did do all the teams. that's what i'm trying to figure out
i just found the clemente pin on Legendary Auctions site from October 2007. it went for $385 with premium. i troll ebay for these all the time, but they appear to be very scarce
Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 PM

I would love to find any Minnesota Twins players from this set. I have collected Twins player buttons for quite a few years and I have never seen any Twins players from this series but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Tom Hansen

btw that Senators pin is Denny McLain. where'd you find the image?
Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Rob

I'm new today and don't know the etiquette of bumping 2 1/2 year old threads but I just asked about these pins in my second post. Perhaps someone knows something new from 2011? This is a strange bunch of pins without much rhyme or reason....
Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Tom Hansen

Default 1970s stadium pinbacks

ooo-ribay I've been searching for these pins for years. All i know for certain is they were unlicensed and sold outside the ballparks in 1971. I bought the Joe Pepitone Cubs pin on the street outside Wrigley Field from a vendor that year.
The Brewers displayed a "complete set of 10" at their fanfest a few years ago, confirming the year. I have pins from Cubs, A's, Giants, Redsox, Brewers, Pirates, Senators and Orioles, with multiple samples from Cubs, Redsox and Brewers. None of the pin "experts" know anything about them. There is no checklist (or anyone else who collects them, evidently!) Since the photography is so stunning, I thought Ozzie Sweet might have shot them, but his estate told me a few years ago that is unlikely. Paul Muchinsky lists only one--Dave Bristol of the Brewers--in his book about pinbacks, with no other details. They are a true mystery!

Last edited by thansen30; 04-11-2014 at 06:57 AM. Reason: new content
Old 04-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Tom Hansen

This is the checklist of Brewers pins, provided by Mears:
Dave Bristol - Manager
Tommy Harper - 3B
Mike Hegan - 1B
Andy Kosco - LF
Skip Lockwood - P
Davey May - CF
Marty Pattin - P
Ken Sanders - P
Bill Voss - OF
Danny Walton - OF

http://collectiblescentral.com/ReadA...x?articleid=11
Old 04-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Tom Hansen

Default Yaz example

There are superstars and journeymen in this pin "set." All of them are hard to find. There are also variations in size (the dave bristol is smaller than most) and finish (the Santo example above has a glossy plastic on the front, and an easel back not present on any of the others i've seen).http://www.net54baseball.com/attachm...1&d=1309278619
Old 04-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Default Vida Blue

This may be O/T, but if anyone has a Vida Blue from this set, I would be interested in purchasing it for my no-hit pitcher pinback collection.
PLMK

Thanks!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-11-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM
John E.

Kicking myself right now...

A few years back I saw a bunch of these in a bin, a buck each or so, at a twice-annual Peddler's Faire in Coarsegold, CA.

Memorial Day is coming up again...so I'll have to head up to it this year and see if they're out there again.

Couldn't tell you who or what was there for sure, but they were definitely these, as I remember that McLain one (or some Sen) and maybe the Vida Blue.

Last edited by JMEnglish27; 04-11-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7489 View Post

A few years back I saw a bunch of these in a bin, a buck each or so, at a twice-annual Peddler's Faire in Coarsegold, CA.

Memorial Day is coming up again...so I'll have to head up to it this year and see if they're out there again.

Couldn't tell you who or what was there for sure, but they were definitely these, as I remember that McLain one (or some Sen) and maybe the Vida Blue.
Thanks, that would be awesome!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Banned

They appear to have been shot in a studio, and probably at the same time for each team. You can ask one of the pictured players if they remember, should one of them appear at a show to sign autographs.

Last edited by sago; 04-11-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Tom Hansen

The were definitely shot in a studio, using the same backdrops. They are also very well photographed--that's why I got in contact with Ozzie Sweet's biographer to see if he had anything to do with it. Dead end.
They also feature the imprint of an actual signature, reproduced primarily in brown ink (not a signature font like many modern pinbacks). The Tommy Harper pin has no signature on it.
Because of the teams involved, i'm guessing they were shot in NY, Chicago or LA, for access to teams from both leagues, and probably within the same time frame. I'm wondering if there are 10 players from each of the teams, as we no know there are for the Brewers. I have multiple players from Cubs, Brewers and Red Sox, but only single players from the A's and Giants, and have seen single players from Pirates and Senators . . .

Last edited by thansen30; 04-12-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Tom Hansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7489 View Post

good luck with the bin! That would be incredible. Please post anything you come across--there is little known about these pins, so the more examples we can share the better
Old 04-12-2014, 10:59 AM

Tom,

Someone wrote to me a while back about the origin of these pins. I did not and still don't know their origin. A good clue is the story of how they were sold by a street vendor outside the ball park. They are definitely unlicensed. Pinbacks will bedevil you with their arcane creations. I don't recall ever seeing a Yankee player in this pin design. That is not all that surprising given the Yankees were a very mediocre team in those years.

I would disagree with you about them having been shot in a studio. It seems extremely unlikely to me that whoever commissioned these pins could convince MLB players to visit a studio (and bring their uniform) to create illegal merchandise. By the 1970s considerable progress had been made in creating "layered" images, i.e., placing a carefully cropped picture of a player on top of a synthetically created background. The bright white spots around some players appear to be artificially created.

Someone who might help with the mystery of these pins would be the photograph (or maybe card) collectors. If those images were not shot in a studio, they came from somewhere. I think the creator of these pins had these photographs, cropped and layered them in a photo studio, and then found a pin making company to produce them.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Tom Hansen

Very much agree that getting the ballplayers into the studio seems unlikely. But the high quality of the photography is what makes me think it was a controlled setting. Funny you mention bringing along their uniforms--if you look closely at the Joe Pepitone pin, he's wearing his home top and his road pants!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepitone.jpg (71.9 KB, 1158 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Tom Hansen

For what it's worth, I've noticed three variations in the "1971" stadium pinbacks: Version one measures 2.25" across and has matte finish. Version two measures 3" across and also has matte finish. Version three measures 3.5" across and has glossy finish.
There is a similar style of pinback that shouldn't be mistaken for this group--they have different cropping, inferior printing, feature a different autograph printed in black, have a high gloss finish and an easel back. They also measure 3.5" across (see below for comparison of Billy Williams and Ron Santo versions)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 stadium sizes.jpg (77.5 KB, 1242 views)
File Type: jpg setNONset.jpg (70.2 KB, 1238 views)
File Type: jpg NONsetback.jpg (74.8 KB, 1247 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 03:26 PM
Tom Hansen

For what it's worth, the seven 1971 Cubs stadium pinbacks I have--most are 3" and matte; two are 3.5" and glossy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971cubspinbax.jpg (70.1 KB, 1238 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Tom Hansen

The nine 1971 Redsox stadium pinbacks I have found. All are the 3.5" glossy version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redsoxstadiumpins.jpg (69.6 KB, 1235 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 04:45 PM

Great eye! No wonder Joe is grinning.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:00 PM

In addition to the Senators being represented in this style pinback by Denny McLain, I believe there was also one for Frank Howard. I've unsuccessfully looked for years to find and buy the Howard version.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Tom Hansen

Here is the Clemente stadium pinback, which sold in the Legendary Auctions sale in October 2007 for $385. It's breathtaking. Their description was "Highly Visual 1960s Roberto Clemente Souvenir Pinback."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clemente pinback.jpg (9.5 KB, 1183 views)
File Type: jpg clemente back.jpg (12.4 KB, 1187 views)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thansen30 View Post
There is a similar style of pinback that shouldn't be mistaken for this group--they have different cropping, inferior printing, feature a different autograph printed in black, have a high gloss finish and an easel back. They also measure 3.5" across (see below for comparison of Billy Williams and Ron Santo versions)
A very interesting topic. IMHO, oftentimes both the "superior" or "inferior" versions have poor cropping....either too much and unequal background or not enough background.

The Mays comes both with and without facsimile sig.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Tom Hansen

Picked up several Brewers 1971 stadium pinback examples on ebay. All measure 2.25" across with matte finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newbrewers.jpg (68.1 KB, 1145 views)
Old 06-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Tom Hansen

Default Boog powell

Just picked up another example of Baltimore Orioles 1971 stadium pinback. Boog Powell joins Frank Robinson on the list. Are there others?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOOG1971.jpg (71.6 KB, 1113 views)
Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Just picked up another example of Baltimore Orioles 1971 stadium pinback. Boog Powell joins Frank Robinson on the list. Are there others?
I have a Brooks Robinson from this set.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Howard Chasser

Default some information

Hi all,

I know the origin of the pins!! But I don't recall the whole story off the top of my head. The guy who took the photos (and I believe they were a controlled setting (not sure about in a studio)) was a professional team photographer (also forget which team). Their short supply I believe is attributed to their lack of licensing. There are prints that were made from the original negatives (which STILL exist and are owned by the original photographers nephew) who runs a photo studio. They are SCARCE! I own a Clemente(pin and print), Mays, Gaylord Perry, Denny McClain. I owned a Rose print. My time is CRAZY tight right now, but I will try to get back here to fill in the blanks when I find my notes. I was chasing the origin of these pins for years and finally hit pay dirt ~2 years ago. Hope that helps.

-Howard
Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Tom Hansen

Post a pic, please. That's outstanding news!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Tom Hansen

Howard, that scenario sounds just about right; but now i have a million questions. I've been on the same search for information. Post whatever you know as soon as you can!
tom
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Tom Hansen

Post a picture of the Brooks pin if you can ...
Old 06-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Hi all,

I know the origin of the pins!! But I don't recall the whole story off the top of my head. The guy who took the photos (and I believe they were a controlled setting (not sure about in a studio)) was a professional team photographer (also forget which team). Their short supply I believe is attributed to their lack of licensing. There are prints that were made from the original negatives (which STILL exist and are owned by the original photographers nephew) who runs a photo studio. They are SCARCE! I own a Clemente(pin and print), Mays, Gaylord Perry, Denny McClain. I owned a Rose print. My time is CRAZY tight right now, but I will try to get back here to fill in the blanks when I find my notes. I was chasing the origin of these pins for years and finally hit pay dirt ~2 years ago. Hope that helps.

-Howard
An ebay seller recently told me a similar story, right down to time being crazy tight. That person asked for me to give him a month and get back with him. I did, but got no response. I wonder if that was Howard. I'm as eager as Tom to find out more info!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
post a picture of the brooks pin if you can ...
Sorry it's not better quality photo but short on time.

Brooks Pinback.jpg
Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM
Rob

Quote:
For what it's worth, I've noticed three variations in the "1971" stadium pinbacks: Version one measures 2.25" across and has matte finish. Version two measures 3" across and also has matte finish. Version three measures 3.5" across and has glossy finish.
For this ^^^ and the fact we got Scott Garner turned on to his Vida Blue, there have been two Blues on ebay recently (I have a permanent search for a different Blue pinback). I think the first pic is the 3.5" variety.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VB.JPG (33.5 KB, 1026 views)
File Type: jpg _12.JPG (21.9 KB, 1020 views)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Clint

Here's the 2 I picked up on ebay a while back. I missed out on a Frank Robinson and Boog Powell. The seller also had a Tom Seaver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jpalm.jpg (45.5 KB, 968 views)
File Type: jpg vida.jpg (43.4 KB, 980 views)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Rob

They're cool. I wish we could figure out the real story. Need to get Springpin "on it."
Old 04-16-2015, 01:13 PM

Pretty simple design, but I really do like these. Some great players represented.

Still looking for the Frank Howard - Senators version.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:54 AM

Rob,

Your comment about me tracing down the story behind these pins raises another dimension in being a pinback detective. I will say for the record that Howard and his connection is the only way this story will ever be known.

All the sleuthing on pins that I have ever done involved trying to tie together scattered clues from the past. I recall one person even asking me, "Why would anyone care about such stuff?" My only answer was, "I don't know, but I do."

The new dimension in this case pertains to legal issues---the selling of licensed images. This is a pinback story that not only is not known, but perhaps some people may wish to have it remain unknown. By now I believe the statute of limitations may have expired, or perhaps more simply, no one in MLB today cares what happened 40 years ago. Then again, maybe MLB might want to make this photographer a poster child for those who defy them. I think winning the trust of this person is critical, along with perhaps the assurance of anonymity in telling the story.

By the way, I learned a lesson about these licensing laws about 10 years ago. My local minor league team hosted the league all-star game. I am friends with the GM, and asked if I could have made a 3.5" pin that listed all the teams in the league, plus some information about the all-star game itself. He said that would be great, but I could not sell them. The illegality is not the making of the merchandise, but the selling of it. So I ordered a batch of 50 pins, one for each player, one for each team GM, and a few other people. I recall it costs me about $100. I remember being a real SOB with the pinmaker, demanding the precise placement of images on the pin, and the right pattern of coloring. All minor league logos are licensed as well. As such, I did not violate the licensing laws because I did not sell the item, but the pinmaker did for selling the item to me.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Rob

Quote:
The mystery Cub is apparently Jose Ortiz, who played 36 games for the Cubs in 1971. That clearly dates the pin, since Ortiz was in the White Sox system in 1970
I would agree, these HAVE to be from 1971...of the 39 pins mentioned or shown, all the players are in the "right" uniform for 1971.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I would agree, these HAVE to be from 1971...of the 39 pins mentioned or shown, all the players are in the "right" uniform for 1971.
The McLain with the Senators also must be from 1971.

Last edited by icollectDCsports; 04-17-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:03 AM

I picked up a Johnny Bench photo version of the button years ago. It appears to be vintage. I'm not sure if these photos were made available to the players to respond to fan letters.

I've been looking for the Johnny Bench button. Let me know if anyone has one for sale.

Phil

Old 08-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Clint

Great photo Big Red. Would love to find the Orioles player versions.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Always good to see more info and examples added to this thread. Wish we could get to the bottom of who took the photos and who produced the pinback buttons.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:34 AM
Mikeknapp

Last edited by 71buc; 08-26-2015 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Posted in wrong discussion thread
Old 08-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I picked up this smaller version of the 1971 National league Champions pins in Blue font. This post is very self serving but I would love to know if any advanced Pirate collectors have any other examples of these post season pins other than these four examples. The Blue font examples seem to be much more difficult to locate at least on the left coast as well as eBay. Although I don't consider myself an advanced Pirate collector the 1971 Bucs are a central theme to my collection. I am sure there have to be other 1971 pin back versions and would love to see them.

I have also been collecting these early 1970s pin backs. I am sure this Tom Seaver is not rare but it is the first one I have encountered so I thought I would share it incase others have not seen it.
Hey Mike-

This thread was primarily about the mostly red, blue or green background pins like the Bench. There's a discussion about all kinds of pinbacks (including what I call the "black box" pins like your Seaver) over here:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...hlight=pinback (page 14)

Not trying to be an ass!
Rob

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 08-25-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:55 PM
Mikeknapp

Not an ass at all Rob, my bad completely... I wasn't paying attention as well as I should have prior to posting.

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 11-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Tom Hansen

Default more 1971 stadium pinbacks

these were posted elsewhere on the forum just aggregating them here--have not seen the Palmer before.
and another example of the larger photos, as seen over Vera Clemente's shoulder.
Recently contacted the Baseball Hall of Fame and Sports Collectors Daily for examples or info, but both sources said they weren't familiar with the pins. search goes on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jpalm.jpg (45.5 KB, 868 views)
File Type: jpg Corbis-U1764083.jpg (40.7 KB, 880 views)