NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
In fairness I would expect the 20% (or so) Buyer's Premium to cover some of that, not the S&H.
that is what makes it a free market. much like all of the other pricing that gets discussed....you can chose to take your business else where or pay the price that it costs to do business with a particular business.

i don't really see much point in arguing really about the whole thing. the prices are listed on the webiste. you sign up and agree to pay a price when you knowingly bid on a card.

its almost like bitching about how TGIF fridays doesn't have cheaper hamburgers after you bought and ate your hamburger.

go to mcdonalds and pick yourself up a quarter pounder. you know they are cheaper there. they even ship your burger to you through a window.

kevin
Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Ja,mie B.

UPS is ridiculously overpriced. I don't think that if there is a package for $17 that it actually goes to the shipping department and paying the guy's salary, or any of their other expenses. I would bet that the $17 goes straight to UPS. Considering the cost of UPS, I doubt that SCP makes much if any money off of shipping.

But, Dan makes some good points that it is insensitive to the "little guy" who might just want one card. The auction houses would do better to send packages under $1000 via USPS. It would be better for the small collector. Yet that is not where the profit lies for the large auction houses, so they will cater their systems to the large purchasers who spend large sums, and if that means going with UPS, then that is what they will do.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Rob

Default shipping

I have sold cards on occassion on ebay since 1998. I learned that it is just easier to ship for free. Bidders factor in the free shipping and the lots sell for a little more. It's easier than explaining that my Maserati only gets 8 miles to the gallon and I live a long way from a post office.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Dan, I’m sort of tired of explaining this to you. I have said time and time again my fuel charge to run and ship something out for you isn’t cheap.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM

Default UPS Shipping Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
If it annoys you enough, stop bidding in the auction. If you continue bidding you are implicitly agreeing to these shipping charges. If so, stop whining.
+1!!!!!!

Joe T.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Ok.....now you did it..........

You're badmouthing UPS! They've put food on my table for 29 years........
(actually, WAY too much food, but that's another story)

You can badmouth SCP but not UPS!

Joking.....although I work there, they're not high on my list right now since they zilched my wife's healthcare. Also another story.

Everyone should use USPS for single cards. They don't have to make money so they charge a lot less. They have no shareholders.

The frustration is just so unlike you..............

Pretty much most healthcare is gone. Mine too.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-12-2013, 06:52 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
John--think about it for a second. If I ship a $200 card at the post office (the cheapest way to ship one card) and insure it it will cost me about $5. The mailer cost me $1. The gas driving to and from the post office from my current house would cost me about $2 (this doesn't count wear and tear on my car), and this all takes about 45 minutes of my time (you figure out how to value that). What I am saying is that for you or me mailing a card worth $200 it will effectively cost us over $12. The big auction house has to pay for shipping materials, a shipping manager, etc. No matter how much you think the auction house may be ripping you off, I would bet that the shipping area, as a profit center, is a net loser.
Now, you can argue that the buyer's premium should be paying for this. However, that premium must cover all the auction house salaries (except the shipping manager who we already accounted for), insurance, rent, travel to find consignments, entertainment, interest costs on advances, systems work, etc. Remember, virtually no consignor pays a consignment fee any more. In fact, big consignors typically get a kickback from the buyer's commission on their lots. All I'm saying is that this is not a business model that churns out money. It is not unreasonable for auction houses to cover their total shipping costs.

+1

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 AM

Default UPS Shipping Costs

Quote:
John--think about it for a second. If I ship a $200 card at the post office (the cheapest way to ship one card) and insure it it will cost me about $5. The mailer cost me $1. The gas driving to and from the post office from my current house would cost me about $2 (this doesn't count wear and tear on my car), and this all takes about 45 minutes of my time (you figure out how to value that). What I am saying is that for you or me mailing a card worth $200 it will effectively cost us over $12. The big auction house has to pay for shipping materials, a shipping manager, etc. No matter how much you think the auction house may be ripping you off, I would bet that the shipping area, as a profit center, is a net loser.
Now, you can argue that the buyer's premium should be paying for this. However, that premium must cover all the auction house salaries (except the shipping manager who we already accounted for), insurance, rent, travel to find consignments, entertainment, interest costs on advances, systems work, etc. Remember, virtually no consignor pays a consignment fee any more. In fact, big consignors typically get a kickback from the buyer's commission on their lots. All I'm saying is that this is not a business model that churns out money. It is not unreasonable for auction houses to cover their total shipping costs.
Jay - well said. Interestingly enough, there are individuals complaining about a few extra shipping cost bucks that set up at card shows and substantiate their seemingly high sticker prices due to the card show's overall overhead (table costs, gas, hotels, meals, etc. - which I TOTALLY agree with). Yet, these same individuals seem to conveniently dismiss the auction houses overhead as if their winning lots are magically packed and handled at ZERO costs??? Remember folks, the FINAL shipping fee is CLEARLY listed as shipping, handling and insurance....NOT JUST SHIPPING.

Joe T.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Remember folks, the FINAL shipping fee is CLEARLY listed as shipping, handling and insurance....NOT JUST SHIPPING.
Most of the bidders bid on ALL the various auction houses. I think what has happened is that some of the auction houses (Sterling with their speedy shipments and refunding of fees, REA with their FREE shipping, etc), has spoiled some of us bidders. So when someone charges what is perceived as an obscene amount (and yes, everyone knows what is acceptable), it infuriates some of us.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Most of the bidders bid on ALL the various auction houses. I think what has happened is that some of the auction houses (Sterling with their speedy shipments and refunding of fees, REA with their FREE shipping, etc), has spoiled some of us bidders. So when someone charges what is perceived as an obscene amount (and yes, everyone knows what is acceptable), it infuriates some of us.

This is true in a way, but it could also be looked at as intelligent people starting AHs to compete with the AHs who used to monopolize the hobby, and to compete, they're making alterations to aspects of their venture according to what they thought was wrong (is wrong) with the said AHs. So, due to the success of these new AHs, the largest ones are going to need to start matching the level of personalized customer service, and non-inflated S&H costs - or this "bad publicity" (truth) is going to really begin to affect them. It's simple business. If Dan feels it, though he may announce it differently, he is speaking the thoughts of many bidders.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:33 AM
David R

I get more annoyed having to see the same ridiculously priced BIN cards cluttering up eBay for literally years and this includes many of Dan's cards.

Dav.id Re.is

Last edited by Leon; 09-12-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added name per rules
Old 09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Jay - well said. Interestingly enough, there are individuals complaining about a few extra shipping cost bucks that set up at card shows and substantiate their seemingly high sticker prices due to the card show's overall overhead (table costs, gas, hotels, meals, etc. - which I TOTALLY agree with). Yet, these same individuals seem to conveniently dismiss the auction houses overhead as if their winning lots are magically packed and handled at ZERO costs???
I agree with the intent of your comment, but it's not quite 100% accurate. Now IF the shipping fee was including in the BP, then it would be the pot calling the kettle black. However the difference is that the shipping fee is IN ADDITION TO the BP, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Would you be happy if also added "S&H from the AH where I bought the stuff" to the list their overall overhead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
Remember folks, the FINAL shipping fee is CLEARLY listed as shipping, handling and insurance....NOT JUST SHIPPING.
Joe T.
I think the point is (or should be) that the "shipping, handling and insurance" tends to be a "surprise" number with many AHs and is "CLEARLY listed" AFTER the fact of purchase. Some just have a general weasel-word description mentioning "reasonable costs" regarding S&H. The real question/debate is around "what is reasonable".
Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I get more annoyed having to see the same ridiculously priced BIN cards cluttering up eBay for literally years and this includes many of Dan's cards.
David, Did it ever occur to you that maybe that's how you sit on several million dollars worth of cards?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Val Kehl

I have long felt that most of the big auction houses with the glossy catalogs and large BPs charge too much for shipping. And, I have assumed this is due to (1) their refusal/reluctance to ship via the USPS, which is usually the most economical method, and (2) their intent to recoup ALL of their costs associated with shipping from their charges to the winning bidders.

I strongly feel (not that any of these AHs care what I feel) that their shipping charges should cover ONLY outside costs (and not their inside costs, such as a shipping manager - these inside costs should be covered by the BP!). I believe this is what most of the online-only AHs, such as B&L and Sterling, strive to do, and I applaud them for this.

Some have suggested that I stop bidding with the big AHs that "overcharge" for shipping. But, of course, I can't bring myself to do this because the "stuff" trumps everything. But, I do very definitely take the BP and shipping charges into account when I bid. In other words, if the exact same card were in both a SCP auction and a B&L/Sterling auction, I would bid higher for this card in the B&L/Sterling auction, so that my total cost would be the same with either auction.
Val
Old 09-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default SCP Customer Service

Back to Dan's point on SCP customer service.

I have called twice and emailed twice in the last two weeks with a question about a lot in one of SCP's auctions.

So far no response! I guess if they don't reply to a current buying customer what chance do I (a past customer) have of getting a reply?
Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default fees

Remember who really is the loser in these auctions - the consigner. If I know that I will have to pay a 20% buying fee and 20 bucks shipping for 1 $200 card, I will factor that into my bidding. That $60 in fees that goes to the AH comes right out of the consigners pocket.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Rich Klein

Default Dan gets world record prices

For his cards at the National, he should be able to absorb all these costs.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Robert Williams

I will gladly give you $350 today for a Koufax rookie worth $600 tomorrow!!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Rich Klein

Default bobby

In your case, isn't it a Ryan Rookie
Old 09-15-2013, 12:32 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default nice one Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
David, Did it ever occur to you that maybe that's how you sit on several million dollars worth of cards?
LMFAO --

PS: Dan, my friend, you can spare the $17 -- better than those blood vessels you're about to blow.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Robert Williams

Rich....You are so right!! I have a Topps rookie SGC A!!! Can I PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE show it to you?? PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE!!! LOL!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Rich Klein

Default Of course you can

We all love to see new acquistisions. And I know you got grief on CU, which is why I put the smiley face next to my post.

in all seriousness, that card presents well and I'd be happy to own a similar copy

Rich
Old 09-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
It seems like many of them have set a floor for shipping charges and instances where folks buy a single card or a small lot, it seems like you're getting the shaft on shipping. Having worked for UPS for almost 30 years, I can tell you it's not cheap to ship stuff. Also owned a UPS store for about four years, so the packing side of it is tough too.

Legendary is the best packers in the industry. Period. They use top notch stuff, bought new, and don't scrimp on materials. What does that mean to the single card guy...not that much probably but they do a great job packing. REA and Heritage are top notch too. The smaller auctions don't spend the money that these big guys do on packing materials and don't have accounts with UPS or FedEx, use USPS, so it's tough to compare the two.

Regardless, like Jay said.....if you don't like it, voice your displeasure and if you don't get satisfaction, don't bid next time. Don't hesitate to tell them that's why you're not bidding as well. I agree with Jay on that whole they may be making a buck or two here, they're losing it there..,.you just hate to be the guy that feels like they're making it off of you all the time....
I got a winning lot from Love Of the Game Auctions, and it was packed GREAT...maybe even overpacked! so even some smaller guys ship nicely