NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Pup6913

Default Matting your photos and cards. Some finished product for you to see

So I got all my frames and mats together and am ready to get them put together. Whats the best way to get everything together?? Would you tape the item to the mat? Glue it? Or is there something special you can use that won't leave residue, stains, or damage?? Thanks for the help

Here are some of the matted pics I did today. I think they are good. They are:

Postage Stamps of "Take me out to the ball game!"

1886 Brooklyn Bridegrooms PC. from the 20'-30's I think

1911 Detroit Tigers Geo Burke photo

1911 Maine Team photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (73.3 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (75.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (68.8 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (72.8 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by Pup6913; 04-05-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default can only speak from one experience

I can only speak from one experience of mine. When I got the Horner Composite in the mail the frame and glass were badly broken. I was lucky the picture didn't get damaged. It could have suffered a couple of microscopic abrasions but it came through fairly unscathed. I ended up taking it to a fine art gallery, locally, that does higher end framing (as well as anything else too, I am sure). I spoke to the owner and he fixed me right up...with new archival glass that has no glare, triple matting and plastic type hinges that the photo fits into. I think this might be overkill for what you are doing but I thought I would at least give an experience. All in all it was about $375 to get it done and I couldn't be happier. regards
Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 PM
pete ullman

I think anti glare glass...and archival matting is key...I'm not sure what to adhere with...I wouldn't think tape? Should be easy to research on the web.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Pup6913

thanks leon. I have everything here to do them but was wondering if there was a better way than freebasing it and trying to get them all straight that way.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Ron Rice

Default Matting & Framing

You can get acid-free tape that is easily removable and doesn't discolor your valuable pieces. Try an art store, or online. Another approach is to put the item in a large plastic sleeve underneath your mat. I'd also recommend UV protected glass, so the items are less likely to fade over time.

Great idea to frame them. Hate to see collectors hiding everything and not enjoying those beautiful items.

Ron R
Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Steve Birmingham

Acid free matting is a must, teh UV blocking glass is well worth getting if the framed stuff is expensive or likely to fade.

I use acid free clear photo corners to mount objects to the backing board, They're inexpensive, and readily available at most craft or scrapbooking stores. There's a tiny bit of worry about the corners doing slight damage to a card. There are ways around that, like sandwiching the card between two pieces of mylar(or whatever they're calling it these days) and sort of squeezing out the air from between the two pieces. Then placing the whole thing in the photo corners.

How much extra efort I'd take would depend on how nice the item is and how expensive it is. If it's something like 88 donruss, go ahead and use whatever tape is handy

Steve B
Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I've often thought about framing some of my cards. I have been contemplating building a custom frame or having one built that would be thick enough to hold my SGC holders.

That would solve the problem of needing something to hold the cards in. I just don't think those photo corners would be safe, especially when removing the card. The archival museum glass is a must because it protects the cards from UV light and it gets rid of glare.

Has anyone framed graded cards?
Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Richard Simon

Not an answer to your specific question, but I always double mat my items. They truly look so much better that way. Or go all out like Leon and triple mat. Double or triple matting gives your items a three dimensional look and you will be very glad you did it.
--
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Pup6913

Got what I need for them. I will post some pics when I am done. Noting of great value but nice none the less
Old 04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Pup6913

Pics posted of the framing. Let me know what you think. Just begining a collection of wall stuff since my cards are not here to see.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Very nice. I especially like the Maine team photo, the frame and matte look great.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Mark

Just a comment on that nice Brooklyn team photo that Andrew posted. Actually it's the 1889 team - the date determined by the presence of mgr. Bill McGunnigle and Joe Visner. The players present are, as best as I can tell:

back:
George Pinkney - Mickey Hughes - Oyster Burns - Darby O'Brien - Hub Collins
front:
Pop Corkhill (?) - Tom Lovett - Bob Clark (?) - Bill McGunnigle - Dave Foutz - Joe Visner - Germany Smith

The cut-off billboard in the back where it says "antown" may refer to Germantown, which would place this in Philadephia.