NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-06-2002, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Default Bonds aside, what do you guys think of the SBAR list (first post under Bonds thread)?

Posted By: Julie Vognar

To me, there're some mighty strange things--mostly LEFT OFF--but also on it. I guess I've decided these guys probably know what they're talking about positively, but not not negatively. Exactly 2 19th century pitchers, and one number 102. Anyway, I still collect 19th century players, reverently, and I also spent 2 hours this morning fishing out a Bagwell, a kevin Brown (what IS his rookie card? The only one I could find that I own was a 1989 Upper Deck), a Frank Thomas--and I don't have a Piazza--or a Hartnett or a Heilmann.
I figure these guys spend most of their spare time studying baseball, so they must know something about it.

Old 06-06-2002, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Default Bonds aside, what do you guys think of the SBAR list (first post under Bonds thread)?

Posted By: runscott

I recently read a 1914 article by Clark Griffith, who played with the "OJ era" players and later managed - he compared the greatest of the 1800's that he had seen, to the best players of the 1900's and in most cases the "OJ era" players fell short in his opinion. If anyone is interested in the article, I will photocopy and mail it to you. He breaks it down by position, so it's quite fascinating.

Old 06-06-2002, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: GlenV

Is Paul Molitor the most unrecognized player of recent times. 8th in hits (3300+), 39 game hit streak, 500+ stolen bases, World Series MVP. There are better players, but it seems like he should make it in the top 100.

Old 06-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Connie Mack was quoted as saying that the greatest catcher he ever saw was Buck Ewing. As a catcher and one who had seen alot of baseball that was quite a compliment. However, as we all know it is difficult to compare players across eras. Also, one has to realize that baseball was still in its infancy in the Old Judge era. As the sport grew in popularity and the economic incentive to play in the "major" leagues as opposed to other leagues grew the talent crop should have improved and the players, on average, should have been better. That should in no way diminish the accomplishments of any pre-1900 player.

Old 06-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

It's also interesting to note that in the early days of baseball, catchers' were not expected to be great hitters. Much more of a premium was placed on defensive skills.

Griffith: "I have never seen a catcher the equal of "Buck" Ewing. I call him the best ball player in the world...Ewing was a wonder. He was a great thrower, not as fast, perhaps, as Archer, the star of to-day, but marvelously accurate. He was the man who invented most of the tricks that modern catchers use."

Old 06-07-2002, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I've read a number of quotes from different players from the OJ era that say Ewing was the player of that era.

In regards to someone else's comment;
Even as basbeall matured after the turn of the century, many good, possibly great, players never played in the majors becuase several of the 'minor' leagues payed as well or better than the majors. Most notably the PCL. Many players from the PCL never went to the majors becuase they did not want to take a pay cut and/or leave their families. So there were still a large number of outstanding players that were not in the majors.

I have heard some good arguments that the PCL was basically a third major league for most of the first half of the 20th century.

Jay