NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Peter F

Default Help on Ott Goudey

Hey guys Im not an autograph collector but I saw a cool card at the national and have no idea what dealer had it. It was a 1933 Goudey Mel Ott in pencil.

if you know who was selling it feel free to PM me. Thanks so much.

Peter
Old 08-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
Hey guys Im not an autograph collector but I saw a cool card at the national and have no idea what dealer had it. It was a 1933 Goudey Mel Ott in pencil.

if you know who was selling it feel free to PM me. Thanks so much.

Peter
It's in the Huggins upcoming auction currently, can't do private sale, I've tried
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Sean Brennan

shew there will be quite a line on bidders for that one
Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
shew there will be quite a line on bidders for that one
Unfortunately lol
Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 PM

I just found this thread. I don't post much on here, but I was the winner of the Huggins and Scott Ott 33 Goudey. I went a little overboard on the price, but I now have a matching pair!

Ott.jpg

1933 Goudey Ott, Mel.jpg
Old 08-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Jeff P0tter

Nice pickup, love the signed goudey 1933 cards. Are my eyes deceiving me, or is the overlap backwards on the "l" in Mel on the red back ground card, second card pictured. Did he patch some of the ink or is it just the scan?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:18 PM

The shading on the jersey makes it look that way, but it's definitely one stroke. I'll try to get a closer scan posted tomorrow.

Jason
Old 08-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Jeff

Here's the match for the green pencil signed one:

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Here's a closer view of the signature. It still looks different on the scan, but it's a dark spot on his jersey that is giving it the illusion of a backstroke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ott closeup.jpg (71.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Jeff P0tter

Like I said, my eyes could be deceiving me but it still seems like the tail end of the "l" in Mel in underneath the start of the "l". It must just be the scan, take a look at it under loupe and see which stroke is on top of which.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Interesting observation.
I agree that it appears the upstroke of the "L" is on top of the tail.
I think there are 2 possible very plausible explanations.
First, if you notice from the downstroke of the "e" to midway up the upstroke of the "L," the ink is significantly darker than the ink before or after. This ink heaviness could account for a lighter tail of the "L" to not appear to be on top. The second could be that the E to L transition was light when it was signed and either Ott, or the original grapher at the time, went over the area with more ink. This would mean the tail would ion fact be beneath. If it wasn't Ott, I think it would've had to have been the original grapher because the ink looks identical to the rest of the ink used. What are the odds that someone after the fact would be able to find ink that was an exact match to the original.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Jeff P0tter

The main reason that I am intriguied by it, is that I have a hypothesis that somewhat regularly, the originally signer had to thicken or go back over the signature when using fountain pen specifically on cards, because of the way ink adhered to the surface. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just what they did to make it more presentable.... typically this is the kind of thing that an authenticator would look for, patching, retracing, and then rule it out though. It happened to me once on a card signed in the thirties that I was 99.9 percent certain of for many reasons, but it displayed similar patching. I have been looking at countless examples like this on 1930s signed cards for the last couple years.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Jeff P0tter

Now that I look at it on my iPad which is better resolution than my computer, I can actually see the upstroke where the l is thickened after completing the signature. You can see the spot where it ends.

Last edited by ATP; 08-26-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Typo