NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default 4k uhd tv

I came way too close to buying a new TV yesterday.
If you've been in the TV section of Best Buy or Costco lately, you've probably seen the alluring new 4K Ultra High Definition Television sets they have now.
Prices are from the ~1500 to ~6000 dollar range depending on size, curved screens , refresh rate and brand.

I was close to getting one ~2100 that was unbelievable picture and 65" big.
Yes I know, it seems crazy.

Ok, so I know that they'll come down in price and the amount of content is very minimal, but dang...they look nice

Anyone here an early adopter-type who gets the latest, greatest and coolest?
Who got a new TV for the Super Bowl?

Ultimately I decided that I just don't watch enough TV to warrant this expense and a TV that large means some new wiring, maybe new chairs and maybe a sound bar. Perhaps room-darkening blinds and then of course those garage sale end tables need an upgrade and it could spiral out of control quickly

I will watch the game today on my 8 yr old set that seems darker and more grainy by the day.
So maybe 2016 is my year to get 4 K UHD?

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
I came way too close to buying a new TV yesterday.
If you've been in the TV section of Best Buy or Costco lately, you've probably seen the alluring new 4K Ultra High Definition Television sets they have now.
Prices are from the ~1500 to ~6000 dollar range depending on size, curved screens , refresh rate and brand.

I was close to getting one ~2100 that was unbelievable picture and 65" big.
Yes I know, it seems crazy.

Ok, so I know that they'll come down in price and the amount of content is very minimal, but dang...they look nice

Anyone here an early adopter-type who gets the latest, greatest and coolest?
Who got a new TV for the Super Bowl?

Ultimately I decided that I just don't watch enough TV to warrant this expense and a TV that large means some new wiring, maybe new chairs and maybe a sound bar. Perhaps room-darkening blinds and then of course those garage sale end tables need an upgrade and it could spiral out of control quickly

I will watch the game today on my 8 yr old set that seems darker and more grainy by the day.
So maybe 2016 is my year to get 4 K UHD?
One of the things I will do this year is replace our 15 yrs old TV in our family room, which gets a lot of use. I am sure it will be a 4k one too......but I already know i will be doing some research first. I think if you buy a TV today you almost have to go 4k or it will be outdated in a few years. We were at a super bowl party at a house with a very high end 100" tv yesterday. It was really big. The one I am replacing is 65" and the new one will be similar, to fit in the space for it. Saving my pennies now.....Even without 4k programming definition the Ultra 4k TVs look fantastic.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 AM

Default problem

saw that tv also and liked it. but doesn't the program need to be broadcast in UD hdtv also so that new tv can utilize all its power? i do not know but am asking.
jim
Old 02-02-2015, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
saw that tv also and liked it. but doesn't the program need to be broadcast in UD hdtv also so that new tv can utilize all its power? i do not know but am asking.
jim
Yes but eventually (I think a year or three) it will be no different than HD. And how are those non-HD TVs doing today?
Old 02-02-2015, 08:15 AM

Default tv

when your eyesight is as bad as mine...
Old 02-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
when your eyesight is as bad as mine...
I'm with you, for the cash I can't tell a big enough difference. Sorta like shopping for diamonds.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
I'm with you, for the cash I can't tell a big enough difference. Sorta like shopping for diamonds.
I agree when it is new HD TV vs a little older HD TV. Unfortunately we have the very first iteration of HD (14-15 yrs old) on an old BIG TV and it is usually a little blurry. If we had a real good, newer HD TV I wouldn't consider it, as I agree. But if we are going to upgrade there isn't a ton of price difference (a few hundred dollars) between the decent and really good HD out today, from what I think I have seen.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:18 AM
octavio ranzola

Smile

jesus I just spent 500 for a tv unreal
Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Jason Albregts

I purchased a 65 inch Samsung HDTV with a 240 refresh rate last year for about $1200. We don't have cable, satellite, or even local channels. I love it for watching Blu Ray, Netflix and Hulu though. I also get the MLB.tv package and my neighbor loves it, because he can keep up with the game while he is out having a smoke As for 4K my wife, who is not impressed with TVs, was awed by it. Still a bit pricey for me but in the next couple of years I'll move the Samsung into my man room and get one

Last edited by Beatles Guy; 02-03-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Jeff C.

Stop. You had me at 100" TV.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Daryl

My 32" Sanyo 720p LCD (purchased circa 2006) died a swift death a couple weeks ago. I did a little research and purchased this from Best Buy for about the same price as I paid back then for the Sanyo: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-p-...&skuId=2436018

Netflix has a few shows and movies in 4K. Trust me, you can tell the difference.

Last edited by 4815162342; 02-11-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Dave

My tv died about 5 weeks ago. I don't miss it.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:43 AM
Arnie

I bought an HD tv just before the 4K sets really were all over, got a 60" Samsung smart tv with a sound bar. I love the set, but gotta admit the pictures I see in the store on the 4K sets really are amazing. Wifey wont spring for one now until the new set dies!!!!