NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 03-07-2016, 10:29 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Default Uncut Sheet of Proofs - To Cut or Not to Cut

My apologies to the seller, if you are a Net54 member, but I just picked up an uncut sheet of 1970 Topps football Super Proof cards on eBay. There are supposedly only 100 of these in existence, and this one is pretty pristine looking. Note that the cards which are supposedly short-prints, the single printed ones in the center column are not Nobis, Hayes, Kapp, Lamonica, Namath, Webster, and Griese, as is commonly assumed, because those have been double-printed on this sheet. So evidently, Topps wanted to mix up the single prints on these sheets. Now I need some advice about how to maximize its value. Should I cut it up into individual cards (I have a steady hand with an exacto-knife)? If I do this, you would have to really twist my arm to get me to submit them for grading. I don't believe PSA or SGC will even grade hand-cut cards, so that leaves Beckett. But at the grading price of $17 each (the cheapest option), it isn't very practical. Of course, the other option is to keep it as an uncut proof sheet. Should I keep it or cut it?

Just for reference, here is the URL from the eBay listing (I had trouble uploading it):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322014139783...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by robw1959; 03-07-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Chris Counts

I would leave it alone if it was my sheet. I presuming the sheet's back is blank. I have a number of hand-cut, square-cornered 1970 Topps football "proofs," and I've never found much of a market for them. While I suspect they are rarer than the regular cards with rounded corners, I can't imagine many folks collect them. There are quite a few listed on eBay at high prices, but I'd have to sell one to believe it.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Ben North

How is it a proof sheet? I don't know the set so is it missing printing on the front or back?

Maximizing value depends on what you have.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Dave

There were quite a few of these, Deckle edge Hockey and Basketball tripleheaders from the 1970-71 time period, that were found in the 80's.

I had several of each one of these sheets back in the late 80's. Ended up bringing them to a professional printer and having them cut up, because there was really no market for the full sheets at the time.

PSA didn't exist at the time, so I never had any intention of getting them graded.

Kind of wish I still had them now in full form. They were really neat, especially the Basketball tripleheader sheet.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Jeff P

Everyone has to make their own decision on these types of things but I, for one, prefer keeping things in the state they are found in. While this is a hobby, I feel we have an obligation to preserve history.

This is one of the reasons I don't like cards made up of bat splinters, cut up jersey's, etc.

jeff
Old 03-07-2016, 03:10 PM
John

I agree with Jeff - even if cutting a sheet results in a monetary profit, I'd be on the side rooting for preservation (I know the 70s isn't exactly ancient history, but still). I don't know anything about these and the link didn't work for me, but in general I'd think there would be more sheet collectors found browsing AH catalogs then eBay, so that's probably the route I'd go if I wanted to sell.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 03-07-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:56 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Ben, the back of this sheet is completely blank cardboard.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Don't cut!
Old 03-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Jeff P

And the guy selling these is on crack regarding the price if you were to cut them up. I have the complete proof set and paid less than $200 for it.

Here is a link to an auction of the complete cut up set that went for $177.

http://www.milehighcardco.com/1970-t...-lot35304.aspx

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 03-08-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
And the guy selling these is on crack regarding the price if you were to cut them up. I have the complete proof set and paid less than $200 for it.

Here is a link to an auction of the complete cut up set that went for $177.

http://www.milehighcardco.com/1970-t...-lot35304.aspx

jeff
Of course, the ones I have would all be in NM/MT condition if cut up. That set you mentioned that sold on Mile High only featured 20% of the set in NM or better condition, with a bunch of VG/EX and cards with creases, etc.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Default To Cut or Not to Cut?

Hey guys, thanks for weighing in. When I won the listing, I had every intention of cutting it up. But when it arrived in the mail and I saw it firsthand for myself, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Thanks to your feedback, I now have serious reservations about going through with it. The only downside is that its size is too obtrusive to hang on any of the walls in my house; I have to be considerate of my wife in that respect. And I don't have a man-cave either. Therefore, it now resides in my closet, where it can be protectively stored and brought out for admiration now and then. In that regard, it is a bit inconvenient. It sure would be a lot easier to enjoy them and provide them with a lot more protection at the same time if I decided to cut them up and insert them in Card Saver IVs. But I'm not even going to consider doing that any time soon.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:56 PM
John

Hi Rob, glad you followed up and glad your keeping the sheet intact. I've heard others say the same about the difficulties of having sheets in their collection. I have one wall I use for display, so I can understand about space being at a premium.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 03-08-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:45 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
Of course, the ones I have would all be in NM/MT condition if cut up. That set you mentioned that sold on Mile High only featured 20% of the set in NM or better condition, with a bunch of VG/EX and cards with creases, etc.
Good point. I found an auction with another set with 83% at NM or higher and all graded that went for $477. Not sure how much you are estimating it will cost if you cut them and then have them grading but still looks pretty much like a wash with the ebay price for the uncut sheet.

I hope you find a nice place to hang it! That's a cool sheet.

jeff
Old 03-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Good point. I found an auction with another set with 83% at NM or higher and all graded that went for $477. Not sure how much you are estimating it will cost if you cut them and then have them grading but still looks pretty much like a wash with the ebay price for the uncut sheet.

I hope you find a nice place to hang it! That's a cool sheet.

jeff
Thanks for that input, Jeff. The best price for grading these over-sized cards would be right at $17 each, by Beckett BVG (ouch!). That would be totally impractical. And I believe Beckett is the only major TPG that would grade these. As of right now they're going to stay uncut, but I may be tempted to cut them up some day because I LOVE raw, pristine looking vintage cards like these.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:14 PM
shawn

do these roll up to put into a tube, or maybe would they fit in a poster frame?

just thinking of storage options.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
Thanks for that input, Jeff. The best price for grading these over-sized cards would be right at $17 each, by Beckett BVG (ouch!). That would be totally impractical. And I believe Beckett is the only major TPG that would grade these. As of right now they're going to stay uncut, but I may be tempted to cut them up some day because I LOVE raw, pristine looking vintage cards like these.
Don't want to spend your money for you but you might consider keeping an eye out for a set that is already cut up. Then you'd have both

That would be cool.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 03-09-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockwell123 View Post
do these roll up to put into a tube, or maybe would they fit in a poster frame?

just thinking of storage options.
It is already very nicely framed. Rolling it up would likely result in creasing it.