NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2002, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Default ton of high dollar stuff on Ebay...

Posted By: Ben

Is it just me or are there more big ticket graded cards on Ebay right now than ever before?

For starters, there is Leon's four base hits Kelley (oh my god), the PSA 8 Cobb and Jackson Cracker jacks, the PSA 6 Cobb w/Uzit reverse, a PSA 7 magie, and the list goes on and on...

IS there any particular reason why all these cards are for sale at this time? Is now a good time to sell? Is this all an attempt to lure the infamous free spending rockets_lover?

Old 10-25-2002, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

I was just going to post this message. I think this flurry of high dollar card auction activity can officially be named "In search of rocket_lover's cash". Seeing what multiples of book he has paid for cards recently, sellers can practically taste the green of their outrageous BIN amounts in their dinner salads.

Brian

Old 10-26-2002, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Brian
It's always good to have bait in the water when the big fish are circling. Besides the rocket, it's the Christmas buying season which always brings out nicer stuff. I'll be listing a ton of graded t206's in November to cash in on the madness. later brian

Old 10-26-2002, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...that "rockets lover" also does not know what he is buying in all cases. He's bought some crap so far and he's spent some high dollars on it. I need to relist one of my spoof auctions and maybe he'll bite.

I'll bet every seller sends him a notice via the eBay mail network, though, every time they list something big...heck, I would.

Old 10-26-2002, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

it would be a great season to buy a very nice card for your loved one....see, you could buy the Kelly card for your wife....oh, the joy that would bring to her...you could see the gleam in her eyes for days....regards all

Old 10-26-2002, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

I would love to "Rocket_lover's" mail -- can you imagine. Talk about Christmas!
I admit that after he bought something of mine I went out of my way to notify him about my other items.
There seems to be little ryme (sp) or reason behind his purchases. He already has quite a collection he's assembling out there in CA.

Old 10-26-2002, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Brian---Did he pay you on Paypal and was the item shipped to a hotel (Hotel California?)?

Old 10-26-2002, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

Don Henley and the boys there?

Old 10-26-2002, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I can practically feel the couch under me for the next fortnight.

Old 10-26-2002, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

That situation you describe is the experience of one or two dealers who I know have already dealt with him.

Marc

Old 10-26-2002, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

I am also surprised he did not use BIN for all theses big lots. But it looks like they should rename Ebay to Rocket_lover.com. Hope he leaves some stuff for the rest of us. Bigb13

Old 10-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B Hodes

It was a nice Hotel in California but even though they have full time residences I believe you can check out anytime and you can leave....

Old 10-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

I've noticed he missed this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1572783156

Old 11-11-2002, 08:51 AM
Administrator

I have sent this guy multiple emails. I sent in the nonpaying bidder warning. He said he would pay, then nothing. I've deadlined him for today. I'm not hopeful. I guess the rocket burned out . . .

Old 11-11-2002, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

he paid me with PayPal after 8 days..total was about $600. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2002, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

On the bright side he doesn't have any negative feedback.

Considering how much he buys I would think his hands need a rest from time to time after all the typing and check writing he has to do.

Old 11-11-2002, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B Hodes

He bought 3-4 items from me and forgot one ...however after a couple of (nice) emails and the Ebay "non-paying bidder" he paid for th3e last one.
I don't think he ever leaves feedback (probably too busy opening packages). Anyway, I don't think he's a deadbeat he just seems to be buying so much stuff he has trouble keeping track of what he pays for and when.
Unless something has changed recently he has no negatives and usually pays with paypal. I guess if you don't accept paypal that might be slowing him down too....

Old 11-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

The actually is staying in a hotel in California for business!!!

Old 11-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Maybe he is..." Broadside Rick "!!!

Old 11-12-2002, 02:26 PM
Administrator

took a month, multiple emails, a nonpaying bidder complaint, a lot of aggravation, etc.

Now, the question is do I provide an honest neutral feedback over the deal (he paid, eventually, but a seller should not have to bird-dog a buyer for a month to get a deal closed) or the typical positive blather?

Old 11-12-2002, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Give the typical positive blather.....the Rocket has fizzled .....most likely never to return.....no use in getting a negative by a weirdo....just my opinion....at least you got your money.....best regards

Old 11-12-2002, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

What's the purpose of feedback if you don't use it as it was meant to be used. If you required that much time and effort to be paid he should get neutral feedback at a minimum.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

By leaving non-positive feedback you are warning other sellers of potential issues concerning a problematical bidder. Even if you are worried about retaliatory feedback, this bidder supposedly has yet to leave feedback on any of his transactions. My advice is to neutralize him!

Brian

Old 11-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick Martinez

I am sure I will not be on the popular side of this discussion, but I do not think a month to get paid is that long. From a sellers perspective, I feel a month is still a reasonable amount of time.

Just my opinion...

Nick

Old 11-12-2002, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

About 5-10% of all transactions take over a month to get paid for, and 1-2% never get paid for at all. It is very frustrating as a seller.

Scott

Old 11-13-2002, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leonl

A month is rediculous. Ebay rules state several days, I think about 3 days to respond, by saying :

As a professional courtesy, please contact the seller or use Checkout within 3 business days after the end of the listing.

I don't see where it gives an exact time frame to pay but if someone pays me in 30 days they probably will not be allowed to bid in my auctions again.....I also put that "payment is due within 5 days of end of auction" in my auctions to prevent people from doing what you think is ok. The time to figure out how to pay for an auction is not after you win it. If you can't pay for it in a short amount of time don't bid on it......just my opinion.....regards all

Old 11-13-2002, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Leon
I remember Ebay having a 10 day policy, payment should be received within 10 days of the auctions end.
Is this correct? later brian

Old 11-13-2002, 09:44 AM
Administrator

I lean towards neutrality here but since I am a wimp, I will probably just not leave any feedback on the transaction. The irksome factor really is the inconvenience. I don't think those who feel that neutral feedback is not merited really understand the amount of trouble this caused me. Look at the sequence of events:

1. The auction closed October 13th. I sent an invoice through ebay listing the total for the item, shipping and optional insurance.

2. I sent a payment reminder.

3. I sent a direct email.

4. The buyer asked me for Paypal. I said I don't take it. He then told me that payment was on the way via a MO.

5. I never got anything via snail mail so I offered to accept Paypal (despite my normal policy against it).

6. I got nothing, so I then sent the nonpaying bidder warning. He responded that payment was going out immediately. Nothing happened.

7. On November 9th I sent a "lawyer letter" stating: "Hi, I still have not received payment on this item. You can use Paypal, as indicated in my last email, provided you pay for insurance and ship to a verified address. Since we have been back and forth over this item for some time now, unfortunately, if I do not have the payment by 5:00 p.m. PST Sunday, I will void the sale, apply for a refund of the auction final value fees, and offer the card to the underbidder. If there is some circumstance that is preventing you from completing the sale, please let me know." [For me as a litigator, this is super-polite, BTW]

8. He finally responded by requesting the total again [The total was in the invoice, BTW].

9. I sent the total and was paid.

Now that the sequence of events is out there, does all that chasing merit a neutral feedback?

Old 11-13-2002, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2002, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Personally to me it warrants almost a negative feedback but definitely a neutral. But that is not why I suggested you take the high road before. I was thinking of you, and how you will feel with a potential negative, if you do this and he retaliates. It's sort of like when you get real angry at the way someone is driving. Who is it hurting? AND, we could argue ad nauseum about it but that is my feeling on it....others have theirs and you will do what makes you feel the best....I will stick to my guns on my initial recommendation although personally I think he needs an a** kickin'.......best regards