NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Richard Simon

Default Grandpa got this Yankee ball signed

I just was sent a digital picture of this supposedly 1960 Yankee baseball, the seller insists grandpa got it signed and that grandpa got pictures of himself with Mantle and Maris to prove it.
I told them maybe he got a ball signed but it was not this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (73.6 KB, 362 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-24-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Scott

Grandpa got run over by a Beer Truck, coming out of a bar on Christmas Day...

It's a stupid Facsimile. Even a dummy should see that Or perhaps, he's a crook, but you don't send an obvious facs to an autograph expert..stupidity reigns supreme
Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Richard Simon

Not the first time this has happened to me.
He is not a crook, just was not very bright and believed his grandpa.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-25-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Grandpa got run over by a Beer Truck, coming out of a bar on Christmas Day...

It's a stupid Facsimile. Even a dummy should see that Or perhaps, he's a crook, but you don't send an obvious facs to an autograph expert..stupidity reigns supreme
Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 AM
Jim Murphy

But it is a story I have had told to me more than ten times where someone was lucky to make it into the clubhouse and were given a ball like this one. As the person receiving them was not an experienced autograph collector, they believed that it was an autographed ball that they received.

When you say just a "facsimile ball" you are wrong. They are an item of baseballs past which can be purchased at a reasonable price and resold with a nice profit. The highest I have ever paid for a facsimile ball was $160.00 which I then sold for $350.00. Both transactions were made knowing by all that the ball was a stadium ball. Facsimile balls from the 30's thru the 50's bring over $100 when in near mint condition

Right now I have over 60 such balls in my collection.

Last edited by murphusa; 01-25-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
But it is a story I have had told to me more than ten times where someone was lucky to make it into the clubhouse and were given a ball like this one. As the person receiving them was not an experienced autograph collector, they believed that it was an autographed ball that they received.

When you say just a "facsimile ball" you are wrong. They are an item of baseballs past which can be purchased at a reasonable price and resold with a nice profit. The highest I have ever paid for a facsimile ball was $160.00 which I then sold for $350.00. Both transactions were made knowing by all that the ball was a stadium ball. Facsimile balls from the 30's thru the 50's bring over $100 when in near mint condition

Right now I have over 60 such balls in my collection.
you make a good point Jim on your first paragraph. In the moment, people can't tell that their ball was a stadium ball, due to excitement at times.

Yes, some Facs bills have value and are definitely collectible. I have owned/sold some myself over the years. What I meant was that in comparison to what the ball Richard was showing would be worth IF IT WAS A REAL SIGNED BALL, they are MUCH less valuable, at least in this case.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Richard Simon

I have never been offered a facsimile ball as a facsimile ball. They ALWAYS believe it is a real signed baseball, worth a decent or large sum of money.
I never even make offers for them because they are usually still convinced that I am wrong and they are right and the ball is worth a lot.
How do you offer someone $50 or $100 when they think they have gold??
--
Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Jim Murphy

because back in the day, people didn't sell them. That was granddads ball he got from the Yankees. Who would sell it. Heck it was more than likely that you weren't allowed to touch it

Now people don't care care about it they are only looking for the money.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Scott, if you wanna use a "Like", you should really buy one on the bay first.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Facebook-LIK...item3cc135c387
Hell, at least it comes with FREE Economy shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fb.jpg (46.6 KB, 195 views)
Old 01-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Scott, if you wanna use a "Like", you should really buy one on the bay first.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Facebook-LIK...item3cc135c387
Hell, at least it comes with FREE Economy shipping.
I'm saving my Shillings for a rainy day. Oops, it's raining today...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-26-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

I had a friend who had a St. Louis Cardinals team-signed ball from around 1967. He showed it to me, telling me it was a ball with fake signatures. The signatures were all real. What a twist.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I'm saving my Shillings for a rainy day. Oops, it's raining today...