NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
Added another major Ohio State item to my collection recently.

1922 Ohio State Stadium Dedication game vs Michigan. The Grand Opening of Ohio State Football Stadium Panoramic Photograph. Panoramic captures the scene and most of the seventy-one thousand in attendance measures 10" x 44".

(Click on it, then expand it twice)

That's a great piece, Dan! Thanks for post it.

jeff
Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Martin Parker

Love the Ohio State panoramic image - great stuff!

Two additions - a box of 12 are at the PO to collect

[/URL]
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Daniel Elsass

Thanks IRT the panoramic.

The 55 Topps All-American has to be one the most beautiful sets ever made. Head scratch moment as to why I never put a set together... oh Lord, here we go.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Jeff P

The only thing that really bums me out about the Topps AA set is that the action shots behind each player's picture is not of the player on the card.

It is a really beautiful set, though!

jeff
Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Jay Shelton

No pics, but I just picked up the 1979 Topps football set from Larry on this forum (thanks, Larry). First complete Topps football set I've EVER owned (excluding USFL).

I started collecting Topps football cards in 1975 and continued until 1979, but I never completed a set. I got close; missing 4 from one set, 6 from another, etc., but never could complete a set from 1976-1979.

I purchased the 1979 set because:
1. Last set I worked on as a kid
2. Has the Earl Campbell rookie card and only cards of Campbell
3. Great cards of Steve Grogan (my favorite player), Roger Staubach, etc.
4. Nostalgia

It was cool to put the set in Ultra Pro pages and look through the set and remember which cards I had as a kid.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
No pics, but I just picked up the 1979 Topps football set from Larry on this forum (thanks, Larry). First complete Topps football set I've EVER owned (excluding USFL).

I started collecting Topps football cards in 1975 and continued until 1979, but I never completed a set. I got close; missing 4 from one set, 6 from another, etc., but never could complete a set from 1976-1979.

I purchased the 1979 set because:
1. Last set I worked on as a kid
2. Has the Earl Campbell rookie card and only cards of Campbell
3. Great cards of Steve Grogan (my favorite player), Roger Staubach, etc.
4. Nostalgia

It was cool to put the set in Ultra Pro pages and look through the set and remember which cards I had as a kid.
Very nice Jay. Congrats on the pick up.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Talking

Quote:
Added another major Ohio State item to my collection recently.

1922 Ohio State Stadium Dedication game vs Michigan. The Grand Opening of Ohio State Football Stadium Panoramic Photograph. Panoramic captures the scene and most of the seventy-one thousand in attendance measures 10" x 44".

(Click on it, then expand it twice)

I just picked up this Dedication piece for the Big House. Keep the rivalry going
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01260.jpg (74.6 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01261.jpg (81.5 KB, 200 views)
Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Jeff P

Nice piece!

The NFL draft started today in 1936. The first pick was Jay Berwanger of the University of Chicago. I picked this up recently as an upgrade.

jeff
Old 02-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Broughman View Post
I just picked up this Dedication piece for the Big House. Keep the rivalry going
You guys got us opening our place and opening yours as well. Ugh!

My OSU vs UM tickets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1051904...7637521821155/

Some of my OSU items (includes vs UM items): http://www.flickr.com/photos/1051904...7637530235614/

You ready for this? Only 293 days and 12.43 hrs left until Ohio State and Michigan battle again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23ZQQVVnwE
Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Quote:
You guys got us opening our place and opening yours as well. Ugh!

My OSU vs UM tickets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1051904...7637521821155/

Some of my OSU items (includes vs UM items): http://www.flickr.com/photos/1051904...7637530235614/

You ready for this? Only 293 days and 12.43 hrs left until Ohio State and Michigan battle again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23ZQQVVnwE
Great collection and loved the video brought back lots of memories. Thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 PM
pariah1107

1929 Entiat High School Football Team. The original town, school, and football field were submerged by a Columbia River hydroelectric project in 1958. Best thing about this image is... names are on the back!!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM

Default another pickup

here is the newest pickup for my hof collection. only five more to get!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Default which HOF u missing

Which HOF cards you missing cubsfan, maybe we can help u out
Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 PM

Default cards I'm missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr1 View Post
Which HOF cards you missing cubsfan, maybe we can help u out
I'm missing
tony canadeo
Clyde bulldog turner
bill dudley
Alex wojehowicz
George McAfee

I would appreciate any help. I am cool with beat up cards.

thank you
Old 02-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Peter

Default my first mayo's cut plug

Delete

Last edited by th38larg; 02-14-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Peter

Default my first mayo's cut plug

I mostly post in the boxing/wrestling forum, but I collect college football as well. So I thought I would post this: my first card from this set!

I had been looking to get one for a while, but couldn't find one in my price range (less than a hundred) that wasn't totally shredded. He's definitely rough, but hopefully this one won't be my one and only. Enjoy!

Don't worry, I'll actually break out my scanner for the next pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grey.jpg (77.4 KB, 165 views)
Old 02-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Erik

Very cool Peter!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 PM

here's wojo.....it's mine.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1938-Diamond...item3cdc8e1bb9
Old 02-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Jeff

Default A couple of Feb Pick Ups

1967 Philadelphia Football Box - LOTG

Don Hutson 1942 wirephoto

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-15-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:59 AM

Wow!

Lots of super cool items popping up here!

That 1929 Entiant High School Photo is so freaking cool!

You mentioned the names were on the back. Anyone we might know?

Ive been working hard on the start of my 68 Topps Set. My first pick up.

Im paying strong prices for ANY centered NM-MT to MINT cards. I prefer Raw cards, but will break them from graded slabs as well if need be.

Also been picking up a few high grade 64 Topps. If anybody has any of them I would likely be interested in them as well.

I may just start a Thread for both of these sets to track their progress. Ive been getting pretty lucky finding real nice 64's and 68's, but it looks like the well might be running dry. Its gonna be a long road on these, Especially if I stay true to my high grade needs. Im eye balling a nice 64 Len Dawson and Daryle Lamonica Rookie right now.

Keep posting those great historical photos Guys, They are absolutely fantastic Pieces!

John

John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 02-16-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 AM
pariah1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Wow!

John
Thank you. No players of note, unless your into apples. Jacob Balaban, backfield right, founded the candy company Applets & Cotlets in Cashmere, Washington.

Last edited by pariah1107; 02-16-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 PM

Regardless that photo is super cool.

John
Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Erik

Quote:
Wow!

Ive been working hard on the start of my 68 Topps Set. My first pick up.

Im paying strong prices for ANY centered NM-MT to MINT cards. I prefer Raw cards, but will break them from graded slabs as well if need be.

Also been picking up a few high grade 64 Topps. If anybody has any of them I would likely be interested in them as well.

I may just start a Thread for both of these sets to track their progress. Ive been getting pretty lucky finding real nice 64's and 68's, but it looks like the well might be running dry. Its gonna be a long road on these, Especially if I stay true to my high grade needs. Im eye balling a nice 64 Len Dawson and Daryle Lamonica Rookie right now.

Keep posting those great historical photos Guys, They are absolutely fantastic Pieces!

John

John
I am all for you starting threads on the 1964 and 1968 Topps FB sets John!

Two greats sets to work on as well. Both sets are loaded with stars, more so the 1968 set since it has both AFL and NFL players.

My favorite 1964 card is John Hadl, his RC. Always was a fan of his and one reason is he wore #21. We have discussed that before but as a kid I thought that was cool.

BTW, nice Namath!

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 02-19-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 AM

Erik

I'll likely get around to starting those threads.

The 68 set is my main focus, but Im finding myself more and more attracted to the 64 set as well.

#1 1964 is my birth year, but I never realized the 64 set contained so many key AFL players. Bobby Bell and Buck Buchanan Rookies, Daryle Lamonica and John Hadl Rookies, as well as other early cards of HOFers Len Dawson, Jim Otto, George Blanda and Lance Alworth.

I know Joe Namath and Jets Super Bowl III upset of the Mighty Colts is often sighted as helping legitimize the AFL, and rightfully so.

BUT, I really believe it was Hank Stram's legendary and Mighty Kansas City Teams that paved the way for the AFL more than anything else.

Im a big fan of Hank Strams Kansas City Chiefs Team as well as the powerful Raiders Teams featuring the "Mad Bomber" Daryle Lamonica.

I think the 64 set is the most complete set featuring the AFL. With the Execption of Joe Namath(65 Set) the 64 set, more than any other AFL set, is the most complete set featuring the players and teams most responsible for bring the AFL to Light.

Kayshasports has a beautiful John Hadl Rookie listed. It kind of drew my attention away from the Lamonica.

John
Old 02-22-2014, 05:34 AM
Erik

Quote:
Erik

I'll likely get around to starting those threads.

The 68 set is my main focus, but Im finding myself more and more attracted to the 64 set as well.

#1 1964 is my birth year, but I never realized the 64 set contained so many key AFL players. Bobby Bell and Buck Buchanan Rookies, Daryle Lamonica and John Hadl Rookies, as well as other early cards of HOFers Len Dawson, Jim Otto, George Blanda and Lance Alworth.

I know Joe Namath and Jets Super Bowl III upset of the Mighty Colts is often sighted as helping legitimize the AFL, and rightfully so.

BUT, I really believe it was Hank Stram's legendary and Mighty Kansas City Teams that paved the way for the AFL more than anything else.

Im a big fan of Hank Strams Kansas City Chiefs Team as well as the powerful Raiders Teams featuring the "Mad Bomber" Daryle Lamonica.

I think the 64 set is the most complete set featuring the AFL. With the Execption of Joe Namath(65 Set) the 64 set, more than any other AFL set, is the most complete set featuring the players and teams most responsible for bring the AFL to Light.

Kayshasports has a beautiful John Hadl Rookie listed. It kind of drew my attention away from the Lamonica.

John
I agree with you on all your points, especially concerning the Chiefs.

The Chiefs win in Super Bowl IV was just as important of a win for the AFL.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:22 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

John,
Please do get those threads started.

HOPEFULLY, and say this with caution because you know how EBAY is, HOPEFULLY, I am actually getting all of the 1968 set, minus 16 cards (but I do already have 4 of the missing, so all i will need is 12 cards) from a guy I sold a couple 72 High's, to, for $200. Seems like a REALLY REALLY cool guy that collects for the same reason as you and I do, for the hobby and not the money.

So if you get that 68 thread started, we can each track both our progress.
If the deal does go thru, I will only need, Starr, 355 Checklist, Sayers, Roy Jefferson, Butkus, Kemp, Lilly, Gary Cuozzo, Greise, Buchanan, Jordan & then whichever #219 checklist I don't get, blue or green. When I put sets together, I also like to get both versions of the multiple versions. I blame the 1979 Bump Wills - Blue Jays/Rangers cards for this because that is the year I started collecting and fell in love with "error" cards then and there.

So by you putting a thread out here, maybe we can work with each other as well.

On the 64's. John as you know, I am relatively new to getting back into the hobby after my son got me back into it. So I was researching all the Football sets since I stopped at 69 and am now putting the 59 set together, I thought I would see how difficult it would be to work my way to filling in the gap. I discovered, as you two were talking, the 64, 65, 66, & 67 sets only have AFL cards. I was unaware of that. I also thought they would be too expensive to complete, but after seeing that other then Namath, those sets are relatively inexpensive to complete. So I think I might give it a try other then the 65 which I could NEVER afford with the Namath, My FSU NOLE Fred, and the checklist, I just think that would be too much. But the others, heck yea!!

So yes John, start a thread if you would, so we can track each other progress. Maybe I will do the same over on SGC.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:39 PM

Default 1964 Topps Hadl RC

hi John, here is my Hadl. drop me a line if you want; also had the Patriots team card; thanks,
jim
#159 Hadl RC.jpg

#159 Hadl RC back.jpg

21 patrioys sgc 84.jpg

21 patrioys sgc 84 b.jpg
Old 02-23-2014, 06:51 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Every month I attend our local card show, and every month I try to get to get "Dealer A" to reduce his asking price on an assortment of 1955 Topps All-American football cards I needed. Yesterday was the day I finally wore him down Here are three of them including card #14 Gaynell Tinsley (RC) with the "Whizzer White bio back. I need eight more cards to complete my set.
 photo ScannedImage140530000.jpg

photo ScannedImage140530001.jpg

Last edited by LuckyLarry; 02-23-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 PM

Nice Job on wearing him down Larry!

Especially on a couple key cards like The Grange and Horseman card!

What are the other 8 cards you need to finish the set?

I seem to have come to a grinding halt on my 55 set. Im at the half way point of 50 cards. I don't believe I have added a card now in a couple of years.

A beautiful set it is, but I seem to have lost interest in it, weather it be the cost or the fact that its hard to find SCG holders.

I seem to jump from one thing to another and hopefully my interest will rekindle on the 55 set.

John
Old 02-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Robert

John love seeing your posts and those 55 AA's are sweet!
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 02-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Just curious, one that you are missing is not #4 Ernie Pinckert, is it?

I have a really nice one, I would say EX at least.

I dont sell, but I might trade if you need it.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Missing these eight: (#6 Niles Kinnink RC) (#12 Otto Grahm) (#20 Sammy Baugh) (#21 Whizzer White with Gaynell Tinsley bio) (#36 Turk Edwards) (#38 Amos Alonzo Stagg) (#86 Albie Booth) (#97 Don Hutson RC)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:20 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

The show I went to Yesterday had a dealer that had some.
Next time I go (April) I will look to see.

In the mean time, do you go to sportlots.com?

It is an "EBAY" but for sportscards only.

Their is a seller that has an EX-NM #36 Turk Edwards - $25.00
and the same seller has EX #38 Stagg for $24.00

Last edited by K-Nole; 02-24-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

K-nole I'll have to check out sportslots.com, never heard of it. Also no need to pursue these cards for me at your local show, they aren't rare. I just have to wait for the right card (G-VG) priced fairly.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:35 PM

Lucky Larry

Looks like you have quite and array of sets in the background of your photo.
Are all of those 60's baseball sets complete? The 64 and 65 Baseball sets are my favorites to look at.

Heres the latest addition to my 74 Topps Football Set.

Part of one of the greatest linebacking corps in AFL/NFL history. At 6' 4" 228 Bobby Bell was the perfect specimen. He was named the all-time AFL outside Linebacker by the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I'll get this beauty cracked out and added to my set pronto!

John
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Erik

Quote:
Lucky Larry

Looks like you have quite and array of sets in the background of your photo.
Are all of those 60's baseball sets complete? The 64 and 65 Baseball sets are my favorites to look at.

Heres the latest addition to my 74 Topps Football Set.

Part of one of the greatest linebacking corps in AFL/NFL history. At 6' 4" 228 Bobby Bell was the perfect specimen. He was named the all-time AFL outside Linebacker by the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I'll get this beauty cracked out and added to my set pronto!

John
Nice pick up John. Is it me or is the 1974 Topps Football set one of the worst when it comes off centered and diamond cut cards? It appears to be a very difficult set to complete in high grade condition.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

Today's Mail brought us closer to our 1959 Topps Football Complete Set.

photo 001_zps8af3a609.jpg
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 PM

Congratulations on closing in on the set Wes with the nice Krammer card.
I always liked the 59 set design and all, but with all the other sets going on I just never got around to starting one. I tend to start out like gangbusters on sets and then slowly burn myself out trying to complete one, like I did with the 55 AA set still setting at half completion. LOL

While I do have "All the cards" in my seventies sets, I never really call them complete as I always seem tohave an upgrade list.

About as close as Ive come is my 1974 and 1976 Topps Football Sets. Both with 31 and 24 cards still on my list even after 30 years of building them.

The funny thing is once I get those cards I just end up going back through the sets and making another want list again! Its a vicious cycle!

Erik

As for the 1974 Topps football...... YES they are brutally tough with centering.
All of the Seventies Topps sets present their own special issues with regards to the centering. I think in the case of the 74's it's the goal Post design that makes the 74's so suseptable to centering and tilts. Those Goal Posts run parelle with the side borders and if they are off even a little it really effects the card. Ive been lucky enough to have obtain lots of nice 74's over the years, as well as purchasing one of the finest raws sets Ive ever seen from my good buddy Mike Tavenner.

Here's a tough one that was on my want list I cracked out last year for my set.

And you probably already know my favorite.

I believe the card is under graded. Its the nicest 74 Staubach Ive ever seen.
When I saw it listed a few years ago I instantly knew I had to have the card.

John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 02-26-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: hng
Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

John,

I can say this about the 59 set, it is one of the easiest I have ever done.
Now I did score a big (30-40) lot from a local collector for very cheap, but as far as finding them and in good shape, you wont have any issues.
For some reason, #22 (Can not remember the name) was a hard one to find, so if you can locate one, grab it. They didnt have one on Sportlots, and on EBAY, they only had 3 at the time, and they were not in good shape.

So basically what i am saying is, if you have never started one, dont worry, you shouldnt have much trouble when you do decide.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Erik

You like Roger Staubach John??? I did not know that.

Seriously, that is a super sharp card!

Your OCD though always gets the best of you as you keep going through your sets upgrading.

Like you said, it is a vicious cycle.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 AM
John

Default 48 Leaf

I thought I would keep this thread alive with a set we haven't talked about much - 48 Leaf.

I recently picked up 2/3 cards I need for my PSA set registry sets (if anyone has a lead on a nice Van Buren in the PSA 4.5 - 6 range, please pm me).

I like the Dudley (centering wasn't my priority - it's clean and bright), the Baugh definitely has numerous flaws beyond the obvious ones when you look at it under magnification, but still looks good in my display case (I like the 50 Bowman better, but I wound up selling it to finance this one):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baugh_Front_And_Back_4.jpg (73.3 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 48LeafDudleyFront5.jpg (68.6 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 48LeafDudleyBack5.jpg (73.9 KB, 191 views)
Old 06-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Peter

Default Postcard Show Find

I got this original photo of Fritz Hendricks (a halfback for the Carlisle Indians) at a little, local postcard show. This was like finding gold in my backyard! Pre-war, college football, Native American athlete ... couldn't get $30 out of my wallet fast enough!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hendricks.jpg (10.0 KB, 153 views)
Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Jeff P

Nice pickups, John. And that's an incredible find for $30, Peter! Love stories like this.

Here is a recent pickup of mine.

jeff
Old 06-15-2014, 10:50 PM

Default 1890 Yale v. Princeton ad card/roster card/scorecard

About 4x4. Anyone seen one like it before? Feel free to contact me.

Yale's roster includes William "Pudge" Heffelfinger, who became the first professional football player, and Thomas Lee "Bum" McClung, who became U.S. Treasurer (1909-1912).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004 (3) copy.jpg (75.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005 (2) copy.jpg (73.4 KB, 140 views)
Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbpostcards View Post
About 4x4. Anyone seen one like it before? Feel free to contact me.

Yale's roster includes William "Pudge" Heffelfinger, who became the first professional football player, and Thomas Lee "Bum" McClung, who became U.S. Treasurer (1909-1912).
Nice Find!! Where did you find this? Not something you see or hear about every day.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:58 AM

I'm new here and this thread will wind up being a favorite of mine here. Great items! It's awesome to see others with the same excitement for their sets as I have for mine. And the cards shown are awesome! I'll probably be more of an observer here since I don't have much purchasing power right now, but I do have a couple cards in the mail that I am pretty excited about getting and I will post them here when they get in.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:21 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Default Jim Brown

Always wanted one of these and finally broke down and purchased one. Hard to find these well-centered. Did the best I could for my price range. Some great finds by everyone. Keep posting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown, Jim 1958 Front PSA 6net54.jpg (37.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 06-21-2014, 06:27 PM

Nice Brown RC. I have a feeling it will be the last card I need in my own 58 set.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Erik

As for the 1974 Topps football...... YES they are brutally tough with centering.
All of the Seventies Topps sets present their own special issues with regards to the centering. I think in the case of the 74's it's the goal Post design that makes the 74's so suseptable to centering and tilts. Those Goal Posts run parelle with the side borders and if they are off even a little it really effects the card. Ive been lucky enough to have obtain lots of nice 74's over the years, as well as purchasing one of the finest raws sets Ive ever seen from my good buddy Mike Tavenner.
I have a tough time with these as well. Even with well centered cards, they still look off to me because the goalpost protrudes above the picture, which is what the vertical centering is keyed off of. They should have made the goalpost even with the top of the picture.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:30 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

How far along are you in completing the 58 set?