NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Default Why is this 1962 Mantle not cataloged in the SCD Standard?

Posted By: Shane Hardie

This is not my photo, but I do have one of these. I have a couple of questions about this. First of all, why is not cataloged in the SCD? If you have ever studied the Standard catalog, you know that there are some very obscure items in there, including many Mantle items. Secondly, are they pretty common? You would think that they would be worth a little to a Mantle collector. I see them on Ebay with Buy It Now prices for $10 to $20.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

imo is,that they do not consider it a card.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Yes, it is not a card, but there are many, many non cards in the Standard.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It looks more like a booklet to me. I am not sure what the criteria is (I think it actually changes) to determine if a card, or item, will be included but if it were my book I would try to make it to be as much about "cards" as possible. Evenly loosely defined I wouldn't consider this item a card, though it's still neat....regards

Old 08-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

There is sort of a fine line as to what should or shouldn't be included in the SCD. Obviously, periodicals are not going to be listed, and in my opinion pamphlets (such as the one you have here) are more like a periodical than a card.

However, flip books are included in the SCD (and if they were mass produced with a product-- they probably should be). Also, there are some items that are basically pamphlets that are included, but invariably these have some sort of advertising for a product or it is known that they were a premium associated with a product (usually food or gasoline) at the time they were produced.

Definitely a fine line, but I agree with the rest here that that item probably lies slightly outside what I would include in the book, if my name were Don Fluckinger.

-Rhett

Old 08-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Administrator

I agree with you guys to an extent. (By the way, I appreciate your opinions). I would just add that there are some items in the Standard that are just as far out of the realm of the card world. For example, there are some "super balls" with pictures of players inside. I forgot what year, but I think they were from the 60's.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

I know there is a similar issue called the "Champions of America" produced around 1928-29 picturing a number of subjects including Kenesaw Mountain Landis. It is about the same size as a modern baseball card.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Standard Cat also deletes/adds sets each year so it may make an appearance someday.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike McKee

Probably if more than one of these would have been issued. Such as one for Pitching by Bob Gibson. They would be listed. Part of the reason for including a "set" in the catalog would be so people know what is available. To provide a checklist. I understand lone issues are listed but they are usually without a doubt cards - Bowery Bank DiMaggio is listed I believe.

This item is attributed to Lee Jeans if I recall correctly but it is the lone issue.

Just my two cents.

Mike

Old 08-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
These Mantle pamphlets were very common in Massachusetts (printed there of course) in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I believe I had five or six of them at one point, but they were very difficult to sell or trade. I could be wrong, but I believe there was a wharehouse type find of these at some point in the mid to late 1980s.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com