NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Bryan Dec

Default Beware of eBay buyer everythingtreasure (Gary Stevens Jericho, NY)

In a time when there are so many eBay sellers selling “shady” items & scamming eBay buyers, this post is to warn eBay sellers & Net54 members of eBay buyer everythingtreasure (Gary Stevens of Jericho, NY). At the end of March, Gary won 2 of my eBay auctions, a 1920 Baseball Magazine with Ruth on the cover & a 1920’s Rogers Hornsby writing tablet, winning them for just under $300 a piece. The morning after the auctions, Gary wanted to back out on the Ruth magazine because he didn’t realize how rough it was, but he clearly didn’t read the description or look at the photos. When you state in the description "chipping along the spine, and the covers are loose & detached from the interior pages”, it’s pretty clear what you are dealing with. I declined his request, and he eventually paid for the items, but not surprisingly he filed a “Not as Described” claim with PayPal.

Paypal took his side & granted him a refund for both items, pending the return of both items in the same condition. Gary took the opportunity to keep the Hornsby tablet, just returning the Ruth magazine, and even that was in worse condition than when it was shipped to him, but he got the refund for both items. Luckily PayPal realized his scam, and after filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Center per Paypal’s request, they paid me for the two items.

Included is a picture of the Ruth magazine. Proceed with caution when dealing with Gary, and I will be avoiding his financial advisor services.

Regards,

Bryan Dec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1920 Ruth BM #1.jpg (69.3 KB, 1322 views)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

If someone backs out of an auction before they paid, I would just let them to avoid further trouble, even if they weren't justified. Why try to cram a sale down someone's throat?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If someone backs out of an auction before they paid, I would just let them to avoid further trouble, even if they weren't justified. Why try to cram a sale down someone's throat?
Yep. This is part of dealing on ebay. If you force a winning bidder to pay for an item he doesn't want you're going to end up with a hassle. I just let them back out, block them and then relist the item.

Also if I'm reading this correctly you got the Ruth magazine back and you got paid for it?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Brendan Mullen

Why would I even "be aware" of this buyer?? You got your items back AND got paid. I wish that would happen to me....
Old 05-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Paypal giveth and Paypal taketh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdecsports View Post
In a time when there are so many eBay sellers selling “shady” items & scamming eBay buyers, this post is to warn eBay sellers & Net54 members of eBay buyer everythingtreasure (Gary Stevens of Jericho, NY). At the end of March, Gary won 2 of my eBay auctions, a 1920 Baseball Magazine with Ruth on the cover & a 1920’s Rogers Hornsby writing tablet, winning them for just under $300 a piece. The morning after the auctions, Gary wanted to back out on the Ruth magazine because he didn’t realize how rough it was, but he clearly didn’t read the description or look at the photos. When you state in the description "chipping along the spine, and the covers are loose & detached from the interior pages”, it’s pretty clear what you are dealing with. I declined his request, and he eventually paid for the items, but not surprisingly he filed a “Not as Described” claim with PayPal.

Paypal took his side & granted him a refund for both items, pending the return of both items in the same condition. Gary took the opportunity to keep the Hornsby tablet, just returning the Ruth magazine, and even that was in worse condition than when it was shipped to him, but he got the refund for both items. Luckily PayPal realized his scam, and after filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Center per Paypal’s request, they paid me for the two items.

Included is a picture of the Ruth magazine. Proceed with caution when dealing with Gary, and I will be avoiding his financial advisor services.

Regards,

Bryan Dec
Old 05-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Why would I even "be aware" of this buyer?? You got your items back AND got paid. I wish that would happen to me....
Usually it's the other way around to me haha
Old 05-23-2018, 10:53 AM
Robert Williams

Sounds like the buyer never returned one item even though he was refunded for it, and the buyer returned a magazine in worse shape than he received it. Was it the same magazine, and he just mucked it up, or was it actually a switch?
Old 05-23-2018, 11:30 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Yes, I think people are missing that the OP had one item stolen as well.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

But, according to what you wrote below they paid the OP for both items. Stolen but no monetary damages, to the OP (hey Bryan), due to reimbursement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Yes, I think people are missing that the OP had one item stolen as well.

Last edited by Leon; 05-23-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:21 PM
Ben North

Bryan sorry to hear of your troubles. I am really hoping to avoid the same thing.

I recently sold an item on eBay and the seller asked me to cancel the transaction because their bid was an accident. I PMed back and asked how they bid on accident. A man PMed back and said his wife bid on the item and he didn't need it.

So still being a smart a$$ I said I did not know how to cancel an auction because I had never done it before. Then I asked if he had canceled auctions in the past and if so could he tell me how to do it.

With in a half hour I received payment for the item and it was delivered a couple days ago. Haven't heard anything back from them and hope I don't.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Added to my blocked bidder list, thanks.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Blocked

Thank you.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Bryan sorry to hear of your troubles. I am really hoping to avoid the same thing.

I recently sold an item on eBay and the seller asked me to cancel the transaction because their bid was an accident. I PMed back and asked how they bid on accident. A man PMed back and said his wife bid on the item and he didn't need it.

So still being a smart a$$ I said I did not know how to cancel an auction because I had never done it before. Then I asked if he had canceled auctions in the past and if so could he tell me how to do it.

With in a half hour I received payment for the item and it was delivered a couple days ago. Haven't heard anything back from them and hope I don't.
Haha. Well done.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:44 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdecsports View Post
Luckily PayPal realized his scam, and after filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Center per Paypal’s request, they paid me for the two items.
How did PayPal realize his scam? Did you have to send them a picture of the Ruth magazine that you received back versus the Ruth magazine you had listed?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:03 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
How did PayPal realize his scam? Did you have to send them a picture of the Ruth magazine that you received back versus the Ruth magazine you had listed?
I checked out the magazine that sold on Ebay. I don't mean no harm, but it looks like the exact same magazine.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Everythingtreasure Gary

I have also had some bad experiences with Gary. I believe, however, he might have issues/special needs. I also blocked eBay ID: secondsminuteshours

I believe that it is Gary too.. or someone affiliated closely with him.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-23-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:01 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
That's a good question. I dont think I'd want to do business with either party based on what's been written. Although I understand the urge to not want to let a buyer back out when you did nothing wrong, it doesnt make much business sense.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:37 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
That's a good question. I dont think I'd want to do business with either party based on what's been written. Although I understand the urge to not want to let a buyer back out when you did nothing wrong, it doesnt make much business sense.
Now, in this instance I DO agree with the OP. It screws with the integrity of the auction. You tie the item up for 10 days, only to have the winning bidder pull some kind of stunt at the very end. Of course, the item won't sell via 2nd chance offer, because they feel like they were jerked around. I just as soon them not bid, than to pull some crap like that.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
On the rare occasions it happens to me I just agree to cancel and move on. Block and relist as Dan said.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
On the rare occasions it happens to me I just agree to cancel and move on. Block and relist as Dan said.
Yep, I learned this the hard way. Guy wins item (sniped it) changed his mind and asked me to cancel it. I decided I wanted to teach him a lesson so I waited a week or so and then filed a non-paying bidder on him. He paid for item, left me a negative and then when he got it he filed a "not as described" on me and I had to take it back at my expense.

It's just not worth the hassle so if someone decides to cancel on me for apparently no other reason than they changed their mind (which still irks me, especially if they bid on it at the last second) I comply, then they get blocked.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:18 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Yep, I learned this the hard way. Guy wins item (sniped it) changed his mind and asked me to cancel it. I decided I wanted to teach him a lesson so I waited a week or so and then filed a non-paying bidder on him. He paid for item, left me a negative and then when he got it he filed a "not as described" on me and I had to take it back at my expense.

It's just not worth the hassle so if someone decides to cancel on me for apparently no other reason than they changed their mind (which still irks me, especially if they bid on it at the last second) I comply, then they get blocked.

And please post their name in here for all to see. I don't want that deadbeat bidder winning my auctions either. When so many people have him blocked, he might think twice about pulling stunts like that in the future.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 05-24-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:21 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
And please post their name in here for all to see. I don't want that deadbeat bidder winning my auctions either. When so many people have him blocked, he might think twice about pulling stunts like that in the future.
It was a couple of years ago...I wouldn't have a clue. I suppose I could post my entire blocked list in here, but it's huge at this point. And it wasn't even baseball card related.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

As others have said....I would never, never, never, never, never (getting the point) make a buyer take an item on eBay. They actually are doing you a favor when they ask you to cancel. You save the headache of shipping and then dealing with a refund, possibly bad feedback etc. At least you control the item, can relist, get your fvf refunded and move on.

Jeff
Old 05-25-2018, 04:13 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I

I believe i had an issue with this same individual a few years back. Pretty sure that was his name. Brian is a good guy and really knows his stuff and has some great material. i would not hesitate dealing with Brian. I would recommend blocking the buyer especially since i am confident it is the same individual with whom i had some problem. Unfortunately Ebay has given buyers 99.99999% of the power so i would recommend in the future just refunding the money or canceling the bid and just re-list the item. An unfortunate cost of doing business on flea bay.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:53 PM
Gary Stev.ens

Default The theif of theifs

Sent an e-mail and asked if the cover was even attached, sure it's attached was the response. It's garbage in and garbage out, keep selling newspaper clippings, but why sell garbage even if it has Ruth on the cover? Your a loser and a liar, you did rip off Pay Pal for the one item I kept and paid for. You are nothing but a nickel / dime seller who sells newspaper clippings and makes up stories!
Old 06-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Gary Stev.ens

Default You are 100% right

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
i checked out the magazine that sold on ebay. I don't mean no harm, but it looks like the exact same magazine.
it was the same magazine, and stupid me wrote the seller is the cover attached, the liar wrote back it's attached. Look at the condition it's in, the cover was crumbling, but when you sell newspaper clippings you need to nickel and dime buyers. You got caught being the theif that you are, your new aka newspaper boy!
Old 06-29-2019, 07:11 PM
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscollector57 View Post
Sent an e-mail and asked if the cover was even attached, sure it's attached was the response. It's garbage in and garbage out, keep selling newspaper clippings, but why sell garbage even if it has Ruth on the cover? Your a loser and a liar, you did rip off Pay Pal for the one item I kept and paid for. You are nothing but a nickel / dime seller who sells newspaper clippings and makes up stories!
State your name, Cowboy.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I've heard of delayed response.......

but a year later?!
Old 06-30-2019, 06:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
State your name, Cowboy.
Got ya' covered....
Old 06-30-2019, 06:59 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-30-2019, 07:24 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
it was the same magazine, and stupid me wrote the seller is the cover attached, the liar wrote back it's attached. Look at the condition it's in, the cover was crumbling, but when you sell newspaper clippings you need to nickel and dime buyers. You got caught being the theif that you are, your new aka newspaper boy!
I assume you'll address the Hornsby tablet?