NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Christopher Williams

Default Babe Ruth?

I'm curious what the members here think of this Babe Ruth?

Ruth-Auction.jpg
Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Brendan Mullen

Once again, no expert whatsoever, BUT I don't like the "e", and it looks like the "u" was done twice (the second part of the "u"). Like it didn't come up high enough, and they added some ink to the top. And the "h" is obviously atypical (but could be that way because it was signed in a hurry). I'd say 80/20 it's not good. For whatever it's worth...
Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Once again, no expert whatsoever, BUT I don't like the "e", and it looks like the "u" was done twice (the second part of the "u"). Like it didn't come up high enough, and they added some ink to the top. And the "h" is obviously atypical (but could be that way because it was signed in a hurry). I'd say 80/20 it's not good. For whatever it's worth...
I think Chris already knows the answer
Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I think Chris already knows the answer
Of course I do.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM

More games.
(And before you comment, no, I'm not gonna play.)
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

When a Kurt Cobain thread on a primarily sports autograph forum is the most interesting one, you know we're in trouble.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:41 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
More games.
This is my concern.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...scott-auction/

My concern about the above Babe Ruth was relayed to Huggins & Scott a week ago.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 04-02-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
More games.
I didn't think you would.

Didn't you write "Nice pickup. The autograph book looks good" on the below thread.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162167

As for my "Glass Houses" thread, it was meant for one person. I knew I'd be criticized for it. But it's what I do.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 04-02-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Chris,

What was Huggins response? I'd be hard pressed to believe that the stub is even real..
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 04-02-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Banned

well, if you dont like the ruth, you got sgc to blame. you know, that company with tons of autograph authentication experience, authentication and slabbing autographs for 8 dollars apiece and they won't tell you who authenticates their autographs.

Mr. Root is a member here, why don't you invite him on this thread to explain this authentication? for the record, i am not a ruth expert so i dont have an opinion on this, but i am sure he will come right on here and he can explain it to your satisfaction.

so i guess sgc autograph authentication gets instantly listed now on auction sites? nobody else can get in but sgc now joins psa and jsa because they have so much experience authenticating autographs, a whole 8 weeks now?

Last edited by travrosty; 04-02-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 AM
Scott

For all the guys fighting their little personal wars on here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tCfFEMqgmQ;)
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

The Ruth auto has been certified by JSA and SGC. I don't know either way on the autograph itself, but the condition that stub is in raises suspicions to me.

I went to some of the NCAA games the other night and I don't think the corners on my tickets were that sharp prior to the games even starting...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Last edited by jgmp123; 04-02-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Banned

why pick on an sgc encapsulated item when a jsa encapsulated item wouldnt get shown here even though root worked for jsa? as soon as he jumps ship and goes to sgc, then show the sgc item and say its bad? it has jsa loa but its slabbed by sgc and thats what people see. if it was jsa alone, then it wouldnt be shown here, i guarantee it.

why isnt jsa under the same scrutiny by some? the authenticator is the same, just different company. i guess some companies get protection and can do no wrong. root got thrown under the bus now that he doesnt work for protected company east coast anymore?

i am for treating them all equally, if its bad psa, jsa , sgc so what? i have never seen chris show a bad jsa item before, and he starts with a sgc slabbed item? now that it has a jsa loa, let's break precedent and chris can now start showing bad jsa items now. it's okay, we don't mind.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-02-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
This is my concern.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...scott-auction/

My concern about the above Babe Ruth was relayed to Huggins & Scott a week ago.

what did they say? nothing? why not? ask to be their babe ruth guy.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
well, if you dont like the ruth, you got sgc to blame. you know, that company with tons of autograph authentication experience, authentication and slabbing autographs for 8 dollars apiece and they won't tell you who authenticates their autographs.

Mr. Root is a member here, why don't you invite him on this thread to explain this authentication? for the record, i am not a ruth expert so i dont have an opinion on this, but i am sure he will come right on here and he can explain it to your satisfaction.

so i guess sgc autograph authentication gets instantly listed now on auction sites? nobody else can get in but sgc now joins psa and jsa because they have so much experience authenticating autographs, a whole 8 weeks now?

Travis,

In Chris' defense, the article he posted from Sports Collectors Daily mentioned nothing about the JSA letter. You have to actually go out to the Huggin's and Scott site to see that it has a JSA letter. Get all the facts before you attempt to start another one of "those" threads....

Last edited by jgmp123; 04-02-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Banned

michael root is a net54 member, why try to embarrass him with this thread, chris?

i have been told for years to contact the companies and personnel behind the scenes and work with them to rectify any problem. why don't you just pm or contact Root and ask him about this autograph, instead of just trying to post it here and embarrass him and smear?

now that he is not jsa anymore, he is fair game now, like global? what's the deal? Why post this autograph as a setup and then knock a man down when Root is just trying to do the best he can. You could have contacted him privately and worked with him and huggins and scott and maybe come to a conclusion instead of airing out the dirty laundry here and try to embarrass the man.

And why don't you do that to Spence or Grad? Why just SGC?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Chris,

What was Huggins response? I'd be hard pressed to believe that the stub is even real..
James and all,
Interesting...

FWIW, I would not trust this to be a real Ruth 700th HR ticket.

I personally have not seen vintage Tigers tickets that have been stamped with a date. In fact, as a baseball ticket collector of over 40 years, I will tell you that I do not recall EVER seeing a Tigers stamped date ticket prior to 1969. I have, however, seen lots of emergency tickets like the one featured in this auction with designations like Game X, Game K, etc.

I do recall seeing a genuine printed date ticket to Ruth's 700th HR. At least one exists in the hobby. As I recall it has an uneven tear at the perforation, almost appearing to have a "fang" shaped tear....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-02-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
The Ruth auto has been certified by JSA and SGC. I don't know either way on the autograph itself, but the condition that stub is in raises suspicions to me.

I went to some of the NCAA games the other night and I don't think the corners on my tickets were that sharp prior to the games even starting...
Where did JSA cert that Ruth?

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 04-02-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Where did JSA cert that Ruth?
Go to the Huggins and Scott website and you will see the full LOA there from JSA. You can match the cert # with the JSA site and view the same picture you have posted at the beginning of this forum.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Here you go Chris...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.0 KB, 502 views)

Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 PM

Uh Oh!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Here you go Chris...
Thank you, James.

I am disappointed that Spence certed that.

If I recall correctly, PSA rejected that Babe Ruth awhile back.

It's not authentic.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:15 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Very disappointing indeed. Someone is going to lose A LOT of money...

Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i always thought it'd be easier to authenticate bigger names like ruth, mantle, gehrig, williams etc for people in the know because those get the most scrutiny, they have most examplars and authenticators study those sigs the most because they're the bread and butter, or am i wrong? maybe the forgers are getting so good....

like in cards you can look at a t206 or cracker jack and tell within 2 seconds if it's a fake...because you see them probably 100x more than some of the other obscure issues.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Uh Oh!
David, care to join me in sitting back and watching this unfold??

Ken
Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i always thought it'd be easier to authenticate bigger names like ruth, mantle, gehrig, williams etc for people in the know because those get the most scrutiny, they have most examplars and authenticators study those sigs the most because they're the bread and butter, or am i wrong? maybe the forgers are getting so good....

like in cards you can look at a t206 or cracker jack and tell within 2 seconds if it's a fake...because you see them probably 100x more than some of the other obscure issues.
Sometimes you see an item (like the example here) that you just want to believe so bad that its real. I would love to know that a signed ticket stub from Babe Ruth's 700 home run game exists...

Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Christopher Williams

The truth is, I was hoping that Huggins & Scott would have pulled their listing by now.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 04-02-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post

Ken
Can we lock the thread before Travis sees it....

Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post

Ken
Count me in, Ken!
Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Christopher Williams

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but the unfolding is over.

I just hope that Huggins & Scott does the right thing.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Do you really think they're gonna pull a JSA-certed Ruth, Chris?
I got ten bucks that sez they won't.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 04-02-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Wayne Walker

Yeah, no way Huggins and Scott pulls that down. JSA has given their opinion, so someone is going to pay big bucks for it. H&S wants their cut and they will get it.

And the person who pays based on JSA's opinion only will get what they pay for.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

I disagree. Huggins & Scott will do the right thing. They are stand up guys. Or they will come on and say why they disagree - which is their right.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss View Post
I disagree. Huggins & Scott will do the right thing. They are stand up guys. Or they will come on and say why they disagree - which is their right.
I think that Huggins and Scott is as quality an auction house as there is. But JSA is who they use and they have given an opinion, one that will be profitable for the house. What reason do they have to believe a message board? Maybe they will listen to the more respected people here, but I would be surprised.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I think that Huggins and Scott is as quality an auction house as there is. But JSA is who they use and they have given an opinion, one that will be profitable for the house. What reason do they have to believe a message board? Maybe they will listen to the more respected people here, but I would be surprised.
+1

Once an auction house has decided they will use JSA and/or PSA, that's that - they are paying them to be the experts. No matter how much they respect your opinion, the best you can hope for is for them to go re-confirm with the offending authenticator, and you know what the answer will be. I have already been through this process, and my opinion of the auction house in question dropped about 50%.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

Well, we know they read these posts so we will see. I hope I'm right; it will disappointing if they do not do the right thing.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:38 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

$3500 already
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Do you really think they're gonna pull a JSA-certed Ruth, Chris?
I got ten bucks that sez they won't.
Well, we can only hope.

I am very disappointed with JSA.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Count me in, Ken!
What kind of beer do you guys like?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Banned

only now he gets disappointed with jsa?

i found that boat about 4 years ago.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Travis, it's all personal opinion. Someone will endorse something that most others are certain is a forgery, and support the TPA that authenticated it, but then when they disagree with the TPA, they are disappointed.

We all follow that model.

What I don't understand is people being disappointed in an auction house for not pulling a TPA-endorsed forgery. Once the house has decided to use a particular TPA, that TPA is their expert. You either support the TPA's decisions, or you stop using the TPA. Telling a supposed 'expert' that they are wrong, by pulling an item from your auction, isn't going to happen - it would be a bad precedent.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
only now he gets disappointed with jsa?

i found that boat about 4 years ago.
This may be hard for you to believe, but it is possible for some people to be disappointed in a decision someone else makes without completely condemning them, calling them incompetant at every turn, ranting like a lunatic ad nauseum, conjuring countless inane analogies, turning every thread into a hate-filled diatribe, etc. etc.

Just sayin'
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
This may be hard for you to believe, but it is possible for some people to be disappointed in a decision someone else makes without completely condemning them, calling them incompetant at every turn, ranting like a lunatic ad nauseum, conjuring countless inane analogies, turning every thread into a hate-filled diatribe, etc. etc.

Just sayin'
Don't you think it is time just to make belive he is not there.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Scott R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post

Just sayin'
I completely get that all of these TPA's are fallible...even the big 2.

But what I don't understand as of yet (since I'm fairly new to the industry), is the poor quality of some of the forgeries that are being certed (particularly the high end autos). Some of these are so bad, that the company that issued the cert is the only one claiming them be authentic.

Is it the fact that so many Ruth's/Gehrig's/Cobb's are submitted to the big 2, that some very bad versions slip through the cracks? If that's the case, I would argue that I deserve much better service for my $200 authentication fee. I've submitted Ruth auto's at national events, and on average, I have an answer within 30 minutes....which would equate to $400 per hour. At that rate, bad versions shouldn't slip through (but I do understand a well executed forgery occasionally getting through).

And don't get me wrong, I have no problem with paying the fee...because as a little guy, I need the cert and can recoup that fee in the sale price.

Then again, maybe I'm completely off base, and the big 2 have exemplars of atypical Ruth's/Gehrig's/Cobb's that no one else is privy to.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 PM

The big two don't have anything that "no one else is privy to."
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Scott R.

Quote:
The big two don't have anything that "no one else is privy to."
That's my point...
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Don't you think it is time just to make belive he is not there.
+1
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM

Default Response

Fellas:
I just went through the thread and I apologize for not weighing in earlier. Here are some facts surrounding this:

There is a back story to this piece that also needs to be told. The ticket came from a gentleman in the Detroit, MI area who was gifted the ticket from a woman who attended the game with her father at Navin Field. Following that game, her and her father were at The Fisher Building in Detroit where Babe Ruth was doing a radio interview and the woman was sitting next to Ruth's wife. They got to talking and the woman asked if Ruth would sign the ticket stub from the game that she attended where he hit his 700th home run. He obliged the request. The woman held the ticket until 1992, where she gave it to our consignor, as a gift.

Both the ticket and the autograph were authenticated prior to it being encapsulated by JSA and SGC (independent of each other).

Today, James Spence was at our offices doing an authentication. I had Bill Huggins pull the ticket and show it to him again, for a second opinion, along with the concerns set forth. After a thorough examination with loop and his exemplar file, Jimmy was again 100% certain that his original opinion was correct - this is an authentic Ruth.

We also showed it to SGC's ticket authenticator again, who also was 100% sure of his original opinion of the authenticity of the ticket stub.

I also personally spoke to the consignor again today, just to verify the facts of the story. The consignor is NOT in our hobby and is not a collector of sports memorabilia - just a baseball fan who lived near this lady and prior to her passing, she gave it to him. He has also offered to speak to anyone who would like any more details of the story. If you would like his name and number, email me privately, and I will get you the contact information.

Thanks
Josh Wulkan
Vice President
Huggins and Scott Auctions
1-866-462-2273
josh@hugginsandscott.com
Old 04-04-2013, 04:36 PM

FWIW, I believe the signature is good, as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
James and all,
Interesting...

FWIW, I would not trust this to be a real Ruth 700th HR ticket.

I personally have not seen vintage Tigers tickets that have been stamped with a date. In fact, as a baseball ticket collector of over 40 years, I will tell you that I do not recall EVER seeing a Tigers stamped date ticket prior to 1969. I have, however, seen lots of emergency tickets like the one featured in this auction with designations like Game X, Game K, etc.

I do recall seeing a genuine printed date ticket to Ruth's 700th HR. At least one exists in the hobby. As I recall it has an uneven tear at the perforation, almost appearing to have a "fang" shaped tear....
Here is a listing of other Tigers ticket stubs. You can see there are a couple of stamp-dated 1934 Tigers ticket stubs in this lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_4a3665d8c99ab8f6feb91f9ec7277628.jpg (52.9 KB, 407 views)