NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default *Help Please* The Big Three (DiMaggio, Mantle & Williams)...

I have tried to refrain from asking questions like this too frequently...but as I was recently updating all my scans on my Collector Focus web site, these three are just begging to be given a review by the board sages...my father purchased these over 20 years ago if not longer...I don't know from whom but we did each have a Perez-Steele post card set we got through Mountaineer Sportscards...can't say that these three autographs were from Mountaineer. Anyway, I have my thoughts on these three...what say you all???

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.

Last edited by Big Six; 05-29-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:42 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Hmmm...130 views and no comments?!? Personally I think they are real...would love some confirmation/refutation, though. Anyone???
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 PM
James Wymer

I like the Mantle, but I would wait for a more experienced opinion.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

The reason I have not said anything so far is that they look extremly weird to me. I like the Mantle and then I say no. I dont like the Joe or the Ted. I am sure someone will differ with me.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Not positive about the Mantle...like Shelly said, you think it looks good then it looks a bit off. I do believe the Dimaggio is good though...looks a little rushed but good, at least to me.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Like the mantle, don't like the dimaggio, and not sure about the williams
Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
The reason I have not said anything so far is that they look extremly weird to me. I like the Mantle and then I say no. I dont like the Joe or the Ted. I am sure someone will differ with me.
Agreed for the most part. The Mantle and DiMaggio appear a bit atypical, but could be okay.

Not loving the Williams.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

The Mantle has so many things wrong that it could be right. I dont like the Joe because of the J to the o. He seems to always have more space between the oe from the J. I do not like the willaims
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapro View Post
Like the mantle, don't like the dimaggio, and not sure about the williams
What do you like about the Mantle?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
The Mantle has so many things wrong that it could be right. I dont like the Joe because of the J to the o. He seems to always have more space between the oe from the J. I do not like the willaims
Shelly, I'll have to disagree with you on the J to the O spacing. Joe was a bit inconsistent with that and I've seen a number of authentic ones that were similiar to this one. To tell you the truth, the one thing about the sig I didn't like as much was that the D was a little less "full" than most, but within what I feel is the paramaters of most of his sigs. Just my .02
Old 05-29-2013, 11:42 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
What do you like about the Mantle?
It just looks very similar to the known good one I have seen before, but I am still learning.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

All kidding aside, I have never seen one quite like the one shown on this site. That is why it is making me crazy. The m's seem all wrong but the n look great. It is something that I have not seen.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
All kidding aside, I have never seen one quite like the one shown on this site. That is why it is making me crazy. The m's seem all wrong but the n look great. It is something that I have not seen.
Hey Shelly. Thank you for putting so much energy in to these, especially the Mantle. I've feel very comfortable with all three of them, personally, but I can tell you that the sharpie on the Mantle wasn't great. The connection between the M and the A in Mantle it seems the pen died before picking back up. In Ron K's book, my take is my Mantle is most like is 4th Exemplar.

As for Joe D., if I had a problem with it, it would be with the D. Frankly though, I see a mixture of Exemplars 2 and 3 from Ron K's book. And for Ted, I know its not secretarial and, to my eye, looks like his 3rd example.

Additionally, having seen a lot of signed Perez Steele postcards over the years, including having seen many signed in front of me, many players seem to sign these in the same place on the postcard. All three of my post cards are signed in the same manner I've seen slabbed copies signed. Now this could just mean the forger paid attention to that detail, but it also indicates whoever signed it wasn't trying to hide the signature in a dark part of the artwork.

For everyone, if you were me, what would you do? Who should I show these to so I can get the closest thing to a rock solid understanding if they are real or not. The thought of having a forgery in my collection is unappealing to say the least...

Thanks again everyone for your efforts and opinions! M@tt
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

I would use PSA quick Opinion. I would put it up for auction on ebay with the pictures at a high price so no one bids. Once I got the PSA quick opinion I end the auction. Make sure you make it so high no one bids and no buy it now.

That is just me.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Any other thoughts on these three? So far the Mantle and the Dimaggio have gotten mixed feedback and the Williams is, counter to my opinion, looking bad. I'd really appreciate some more thoughts on these!?!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 AM
J@RR0D

The Mantle looks like a legit Mantle to me... if he was still alive and signing at 80 years old. I agree with the "nothing is wrong but nothing is right" sentiment about it. If it were me, and based on the mixed feedback from the experienced board members, I'd avoid it. You'll always be questioning it.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I would not touch anyone of them.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:

that's why so and so hasnt come on here and chimed in. there is no consensus, so he cant swoop in at the end and confirm everyone else's opinion and take credit for it. if its tricky, he is not to be found. Anybody can do the easy ones.

Last edited by travrosty; 06-03-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Paulanthony

Default Big Three

At first glance I liked them all. The Mantle looked good except I thought it was to spread out. I still like them all. Two are JSA and one PSA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg net 54 mantle.jpg (75.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

I believe all 3 are fine, but I agree with Shelly about avoiding them. The Mantle and Williams looked questionable, but the longer you look the better they look. The DiMaggio is the best of the three to my eye, but there are so many beautiful Perez Steele's of all three, there's no reason to tak the gamble, thus I agree with Shelly about taking a pass.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:56 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss View Post
I believe all 3 are fine, but I agree with Shelly about avoiding them. The Mantle and Williams looked questionable, but the longer you look the better they look. The DiMaggio is the best of the three to my eye, but there are so many beautiful Perez Steele's of all three, there's no reason to tak the gamble, thus I agree with Shelly about taking a pass.
Thanks Steve...I really feel good about them, too. They were my dad's and were left to me when he passed away back in 1995. They were the reason I started collecting signed Perez Steele postcards (these were the three that started me on that path). I just wanted to get a sense if I needed to go out and get another set of the big three.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

In that case I think they are perfectly fine!