NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-06-2017, 10:33 PM

Default "755" a rare inscription?

I've managed to pick up a few cool certified inscription balls over the last few years: Rose 4256, Ryan 5714, and Henderson 1406 (this last one took a while to find the right ball at the right price).

I'm now struggling with Aaron. I've got a Steiner Aaron ball (from eBay as I rarely pay the extra Steiner markup) but I'd like to upgrade to one with a 755 inscription. Have yet to see one on eBay that isn't at least $150-200 more than the non-inscribed, and Steiner wants $600 for theirs.

Anyone know, does he just rarely do that inscription, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 03:55 AM

Matt,
It seems to me that I recall that Hank Aaron would not add the "755" inscription to his autograph at shows. Perhaps that's why finding balls with that added inscription is more challenging. Just sayin'...
Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Living in the Atlanta area for over 30 years and going to shows in Atlanta and New York and Nationals, and knowing dealers who did private signings with Aaron and having done a private signing for some dealers and me a few times Aaron never consented to add 755 to any items . Now this was back in the 80s and 90s but I have heard that this is still the case.
He did add 755 to a limited number of the original 500 HR Ron Lewis posters if others had added their HR totals but that was rare because Mays was always hesitant to add his HR total without charging an enormous amount of extra money to do it.
But yes baseballs with the added 755 inscription are hard to find and do have a premium but they are out there.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
Living in the Atlanta area for over 30 years and going to shows in Atlanta and New York and Nationals, and knowing dealers who did private signings with Aaron and having done a private signing for some dealers and me a few times Aaron never consented to add 755 to any items . Now this was back in the 80s and 90s but I have heard that this is still the case.
He did add 755 to a limited number of the original 500 HR Ron Lewis posters if others had added their HR totals but that was rare because Mays was always hesitant to add his HR total without charging an enormous amount of extra money to do it.
But yes baseballs with the added 755 inscription are hard to find and do have a premium but they are out there.
Why was this? Strictly a play to be able to charge a high premium for the "755" or was there some other reason?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:44 PM

Default "755" a rare inscription?

Thanks for the replies. It's interesting to think about. You'd think that the HR King would proudly declare it on everything he signed.

I'm wondering the same thing as Steve, is the rarity because he simply asked more for it, or because he flat out refused? Because if he simply charged more for it, I think most people would have paid it being how big a deal that # is. So that doesn't seem to explain the scarcity, at least in my uneducated opinion

Last edited by mattjc1983; 04-07-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:00 PM

He might not have such fond memories of setting his record considering it was shrouded in racist sentiments directed towards him.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
He might not have such fond memories of setting his record considering it was shrouded in racist sentiments directed towards him.

Touché.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Jeff P0tter

I am pretty sure someone just had one for sale on the BST that was signed and inscribed with I think "755" and "HR KING" but I can't find it now.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
Thanks for the replies. It's interesting to think about. You'd think that the HR King would proudly declare it on everything he signed.

I'm wondering the same thing as Steve, is the rarity because he simply asked more for it, or because he flat out refused? Because if he simply charged more for it, I think most people would have paid it being how big a deal that # is. So that doesn't seem to explain the scarcity, at least in my uneducated opinion

At Steiner we did several sit down signings with Aaron during my 9+ years there. In private settings he would write 755 or HOF inscriptions but only in small numbers and, yes, for a substantial premium. As he got older he frequently deny doing anything other than straight signatures. Its not uncommon for dealers, who get him on a good day where he is willing to sign inscriptions to pay Aaron 2 or 3x for the added inscription vs a straight signature. He makes his living on doing signings and made far more money post career doing signings and appearances, a lot like Mays did, both are tough inscriptions though May was more accommodating in a private setting so long as he was paid for it.

At this stage of life Aaron likely hasn't done any or very, very few inscriptions in the past few years

These older guys have always had a chip on their shoulder because of how much less their salaries for playing ball vs current stars and even vs many players that played in that era were so they use it as leverage in signing situations to cash in.

Hope that info helps some

Last edited by Kco; 04-07-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:04 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kco View Post
These older guys have always had a chip on their shoulder because of how much less their salaries for playing ball vs current stars and even vs many players that played in that era were so they use it as leverage in signing situations to cash in.
I agree with you but also at the time other collectors and dealers and I were dealing with Aaron in the 80s and 90s Mickey Mantle , and Ted Williams were the heavy hitters and the high dollar 500 HR autographs and there was obvious resentment from Mays and Aaron about that . Also Mantle and Williams were not easy to get their HR totals added to items also . They charged extra also unless you got them on a good day or in a private signing setting .
Old 04-07-2017, 10:28 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Why was this? Strictly a play to be able to charge a high premium for the "755" or was there some other reason?
The reason was twofold .
One was to get more money and two was to just be difficult in order to prove to the collectors that they were in control of what the collectors wanted and would pay for . In other words ego .
At the time there was no trouble getting the players to add HR inscriptions but when the 500 HR club became popular and collectible in the late 80s whether individually or as a group the players realized they could make more money by charging for it and Mays and Aaron took advantage of it . Give them credit by limiting their inscriptions ( HR, HoF year , MVP year, AS years, Full name , Nickname ,etc..) they created a mini - rarity for the collectors as opposed to other players with the exception of Joe DiMaggio , who knew what income could be generated by signing limited inscriptions . Joe's was money pure plain and simple not ego .
I really have no idea what is occurring in the market with other players and inscriptions now except that Mays and Aaron have continued their policy .
Old 04-08-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kco View Post
At Steiner we did several sit down signings with Aaron during my 9+ years there. In private settings he would write 755 or HOF inscriptions but only in small numbers and, yes, for a substantial premium. As he got older he frequently deny doing anything other than straight signatures. Its not uncommon for dealers, who get him on a good day where he is willing to sign inscriptions to pay Aaron 2 or 3x for the added inscription vs a straight signature. He makes his living on doing signings and made far more money post career doing signings and appearances, a lot like Mays did, both are tough inscriptions though May was more accommodating in a private setting so long as he was paid for it.

At this stage of life Aaron likely hasn't done any or very, very few inscriptions in the past few years

Hope that info helps some

2-3x, wow. Explains the premium even on the secondary market. Thanks for the info! I'd love to hear more about your time at Steiner sometime.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
I am pretty sure someone just had one for sale on the BST that was signed and inscribed with I think "755" and "HR KING" but I can't find it now.
Just saw this thread now as I was posting in the new pick-ups section. I had purchased the Aaron ball that was for sale, mainly due to how cool the inscriptions were.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1411.JPG (42.9 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by canjond; 04-10-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:52 PM

^saw it, awesome ball.