NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Mike Dugan

Mike I think it is those memories and the shared memories here that still make many of us collectors. I think there are plenty more out there that are like me, I appreciate the value of the cards but it the love of the game and the memories of youth that keep me involved.

Two years ago I spent five days in Cooperstown with my grown and then soon to be married daughter at the annual film festival. We went to the Hall every day.

Yesterday at lunch she and my new son-in-law gave me a play-by-play of a minor league game they attended last week. I turned to my wife and she just smiled, she knew it has been passed on.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Marcos

Default Sweet Memories Of My Carefee Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post
This is the most amazing thing about this thread. So many great posts, from so many members whom I haven't seen post from in the 3 years since I've been on the board. And each one has a fascinating set of memories
Oh yeah, this type of thread stirs slight butterflies of excitement in my stomach! Memories of the lazy, carefree summer days of my childhood come flooding back. Sweet!

I knew card series existed in those days, but they were never my focus. My quest was always about getting cards of my beloved Detroit Tigers!

I received a pretty humble weekly allowance so I bought maybe 3 or 4 packs a week. However, an older kid in the neighborhood, Larry Kruger, had a paper route, and seemed to have unlimited discretionary income for buying cards. Now the good news is that Larry was definitely into checking off series checklists and completing sets. Also, for some reason, he loved the Red Sox. And, if I had cards he wanted, he was very generous with the trade ratio. He would take me down to his basement where he had several card tables set up that were covered with stacks of cards. One table was for his doubles - or should I say doubles, triples, quadruples, etc. Larry always had lots of these - and he didn’t seem to value these excess cards. The transaction was quite simple. In exchange for a card of mine that he wanted, he would slide over to me a couple 100-card stacks. Again, great memories!

I don’t think our local dimestore had shortages of the later series. At least not in 1960. I’ve got multiples of many final series All Star cards - including seven Charlie Neals (#556) and five Ernie Banks (#560).

I sometimes wonder whatever happened to Larry Kruger and all his cards.
Marcos
Old 08-26-2018, 07:46 PM
Marcos

Default Store Names

I notice that many who post in this thread mention the name of the store where they bought the cards of their youth. Very cool. For me it was Denstadt’s Dimestore in Lansing Michigan. The store, of course, is long gone, but the building is still there. And so are the memories when I occasionally drive by. Oh to have a time machine.....
Old 08-27-2018, 06:26 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

My first memories are from the very early 70's when I was around 6 or 7 years old.

The store I bought cards from was Dyer's IGA on 24 Hwy in Wamego KS. I vaguely remember purchasing the 1970 Topps and really immersing in cards during 1972 and 1973. Can't remember the 1971's though.

They had all sorts of cards. Baseball, football, basketball, funny car trading cards, and the Way Out Wheels cards. Another store located on Lincoln Street, Duckwalls, carried the cards too.

Small Kansas town in the early 1970's. Bringing back the memories.....

Thanks for the thread, and to those chiming in after reviving the thread.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:59 AM
Bill par.sons

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
My first memories are from the very early 70's when I was around 6 or 7 years old.

The store I bought cards from was Dyer's IGA on 24 Hwy in Wamego KS. I vaguely remember purchasing the 1970 Topps and really immersing in cards during 1972 and 1973. Can't remember the 1971's though.

They had all sorts of cards. Baseball, football, basketball, funny car trading cards, and the Way Out Wheels cards. Another store located on Lincoln Street, Duckwalls, carried the cards too.

Small Kansas town in the early 1970's. Bringing back the memories.....

Thanks for the thread, and to those chiming in after reviving the thread.
For me it was Mello's Grocery store rte 105 Lakeville, Ma. Bought 5-8 packs about twice a week. Also bought a pkg of Twinkies at 15 cents and a can of soda for 10 cents on the walk home. Open the packs right after I got out of the store, then ate the twinkies. Threw the wrappers away outside the store. I'd buy anything, depending on what they had. Baseball, Football or non sport. If my mother went to a larger store like Moskoff's on rte 18, they had rack packs as well as 5 cent packs. Didn't go for the rack packs as there was always doubles that you could see. I know I got my first packs of 65 tall boys there. Mello's didn't have them. Mellos is still there, when I drive by that's the first thing I think off. Moskoff's not. Great stuff. billp
Old 08-27-2018, 06:59 AM

Default Kansas

We had Duckwalls, IGA and a couple of other locally owned grocery stores that all had sports and non-sports. Even the concession stand at the local baseball diamond had Topps packs. Remember getting the 69 decals and sticking them on the cards and the bleachers. We could only tell when the next series came out by the checklist and new faces/numbers, but it was off to the races buying and marking that box in, when I got the whole row done I marked it top to bottom. in 1969 there were still nickel packs, so when I got a dollar from my grandmother on the way out the store I went to town.....So many Al McBean's in the first series!

And small world...… we played Wamego the first Football game of the season for many, many years.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:24 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

The late 60's and through the 70's I bought a lot of packs from a corner grocery/liquor store called Sam and Sally's in Alhambra Calif. To the best of my recollection, neither my friends nor I realized that the cards were released by series...we should have known, but the lightbulb just never went on. It's funny remembering back to 74 when my friend Jeff and I were trying to get the whole set, and both needed Stargell. We bought a heck of a lot of packs, but never found him. I guess knowing he was in the first series would have helped us quite a bit. LOL
One other favorite moment was in the mid 70's, when our local "major" grocery store started carrying baseball wax. For some reason they would sell them for 5 cents instead of 10. Nothing better for a kid than to be able to buy twice as much!!
Old 08-27-2018, 09:51 AM

At the main intersection right out of our subdivision, there was a 7-11 on one corner and a Stop n Go on the other. Across the street there was a strip mall with a grocery store and drug store. So, we had lots of options. We would go in every so often and buy a pack and if it was a new series, a whole box and then trade to finish out the series. 1967 7th series was the only one that we never got. 1969 6th series and 1970 & 1971 7th series were in shorter supply. Everything else was pretty plentiful.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:19 PM
Mike

Ordered from I believe an ad in The Sporting News ( probably Card Collectors Company in NY ). Got Series by Series all summer from 1958-1962. Also bought packs and had a lot of duplicates. Bought a few packs in 1963 and then The Beatles came in 1964 and I collected all their cards and no more baseball cards after that. If you lived in 1964 you understand how baseball could be replaced by The Beatles if you were a teenager.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
We had Duckwalls, IGA and a couple of other locally owned grocery stores that all had sports and non-sports. Even the concession stand at the local baseball diamond had Topps packs. Remember getting the 69 decals and sticking them on the cards and the bleachers. We could only tell when the next series came out by the checklist and new faces/numbers, but it was off to the races buying and marking that box in, when I got the whole row done I marked it top to bottom. in 1969 there were still nickel packs, so when I got a dollar from my grandmother on the way out the store I went to town.....So many Al McBean's in the first series!

And small world...… we played Wamego the first Football game of the season for many, many years.
Would that be Council Grove?
Old 08-28-2018, 07:21 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Sorry for the off topic but thought you guys might like this. Was flipping through channels this morning and on M.E. TV there was an episode of Leave it to Beaver on. Wally had a new job at the soda fountain and Beaver and Whitey and one of his other friends (can't remember name) came in for a milkshake. They assumed Wally would give it to them free but he asked for payment and Whitey reached in his pocket and threw out about a half dozen 1959's. One of the cards was the Words of Wisdom with Stengel. Thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 08-28-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Marcos

Hilarious - maybe it’s on YouTube.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Would that be Council Grove?
Yes it would be.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:59 AM
D.an Jackso.n

The words of wisdom card is #383 and I also saw a #417 Virgil Trucks. They were mint! One of the cast or crew must have just opened a 4th series pack.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:26 PM

My story began as I compiled the first 5 series of 1972 bb in Sonoma county (except Ed Kranepool that is, another story)... thinking I was done, went along with neigbor family on a trip up to Red Bluff where the neighbor kid and I bought some packs in the local store... low and behold Julian Javier! I know I dont have him! Many years later to complete that set