NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Larry

Default Most Legendary Players

Who, in your opinion, are the ten most legendary players in the hobby?

Meaning those who strode like true giants across the playing field, with indomitable vigor, ready and able to conquer all?

And who, among these, has the most undervalued cards?

Thanks for your input, guys.

Best always,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-17-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

If you're talking about titans of the game that are undervalued, I'd say DiMaggio.

The guy hit for average, hit for power, was an amazing fielder, and he was the glue that held a Yankee team together between two dynasties. He was the bridge from Lou to Mick and he could've been even better without the war.

Same could be said for Ted... Only differences are... 1 Ted wasn't nearly the defensive player Joe D was... 2 Teds cards carry a significant premium.

I don't think there's another guy out there that was better, whose cards you can get for less
Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default My nomination is .......

MARIO MENDOZA

A legend is a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.

Mario alone through his prowess in the batter's box defined mediocrity, both inside and outside baseball over 30 years ago. The Mendoza Line began as a clubhouse joke in 1979 when from mid April to mid May George Brett's batting average dropped from .341 on 4/17 to .244 on 5/11. Teammates chided Brett that his average was going to drop below the Mendoza Line in the Sunday newspaper's listing of major league batters (older members remember how the batters were listed by average in the Sunday papers before the internet). On May 11th Mendoza was batting .202 that year. I believe that .200 became the generic Mendoza line.

The legend of the Mendoza Line was popularized in the early days of ESPN by Chris Berman, who attributed the reference to Brett. Although the original Mendoza line in the Sunday newspaper may still be used to describe mediocrity in baseball, dropping below the Mendoza Line can be applied to mediocrity in any field and hence the legendary status of the term.

Interestingly Mendoza ended his career with a batting average of .215, somewhat above the generic Mendoza Line. He was also known to be an above average fielder.

With this background who can argue that the 1980 Mendoza card imaged below is not undervalued at 2 cents.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
MARIO MENDOZA

A legend is a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.

Mario alone through his prowess in the batter's box defined mediocrity, both inside and outside baseball over 30 years ago. The Mendoza Line began as a clubhouse joke in 1979 when from mid April to mid May George Brett's batting average dropped from .341 on 4/17 to .244 on 5/11. Teammates chided Brett that his average was going to drop below the Mendoza Line in the Sunday newspaper's listing of major league batters (older members remember how the batters were listed by average in the Sunday papers before the internet). On May 11th Mendoza was batting .202 that year. I believe that .200 became the generic Mendoza line.

The legend of the Mendoza Line was popularized in the early days of ESPN by Chris Berman, who attributed the reference to Brett. Although the original Mendoza line in the Sunday newspaper may still be used to describe mediocrity in baseball, dropping below the Mendoza Line can be applied to mediocrity in any field and hence the legendary status of the term.

Interestingly Mendoza ended his career with a batting average of .215, somewhat above the generic Mendoza Line. He was also known to be an above average fielder.

With this background who can argue that the 1980 Mendoza card imaged below is not undervalued at 2 cents.
Good stuff!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
David M.

I can't get as poetic about it as Frank, but I'd say Stan Musial has to be on that list. Most of his cards are quite reasonable yet he was considered one of the greats of the game. The only reason his cards aren't more highly valued is he didn't play in New York.

Some quotes about Stan from those that saw him play:
An outfield composed of (Ty) Cobb, (Tris) Speaker and (Babe) Ruth, even with Ruth, lacks the combined power of (Joe) DiMaggio, (Stan) Musial and (Ted) Williams." - Connie Mack

"He could have hit .300 with a fountain pen." - Joe Garagiola

"He didn't hit a homer in his last at-bat; he hit a single. He didn't hit in 56 straight games. He married his high school sweetheart and stayed married to her, never married a Marilyn Monroe. He didn't play with the sheer joy and style that goes alongside Willie Mays' name. None of those easy things are there to associate with Stan Musial. All Musial represents is more than two decades of sustained excellence and complete decency as a human being." - Sportscaster Bob Costas in ESPN SportsCentury (ESPN)

"How good was Stan Musial? He was good enough to take your breath away." - Broadcaster Vin Scully

And those that had to pitch to him:
""I throw him four wide ones then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe

"I've had pretty good success with Stan (Musial) by throwing him my best pitch and backing up third." - Carl Erskine

"Once (Stan) Musial timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy." - Warren Spahn
Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 AM

My father-in-law had the good fortune of being at a wedding where Stan Musial was also in attendance. Stan was as gracious as can be and shared some great stories. I wish I was with my wife at that point. I might have been able to tag along.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM

my vote is for jake duabert one of the best players from the teens but does not get the respect he deserves.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
If you're talking about titans of the game that are undervalued, I'd say DiMaggio.

The guy hit for average, hit for power, was an amazing fielder, and he was the glue that held a Yankee team together between two dynasties. He was the bridge from Lou to Mick and he could've been even better without the war.

Same could be said for Ted... Only differences are... 1 Ted wasn't nearly the defensive player Joe D was... 2 Teds cards carry a significant premium.

I don't think there's another guy out there that was better, whose cards you can get for less
I think you read my mind regarding the most undervalued at the moment. I think that's because the primary focus of the hobby is on the pre-World War I cards, and Ted and Joe (what, 11 penants in 13 years, and ten world championships, just going by memory?) will have their day when that focus shifts, as it inevitably will, and their best and/or rarer cards look like real bargains in comparison to the giants in the former group.

Frank, I love it!!!

Thanks for posting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 05-17-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM

If you're talking about within the collecting world, the biggest names would include Babe Ruth, Joe Jackson and Mickey Mantle would be the big three.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Pete Sycks

I know he's not pre-war, but how about Jim Thome? Over 600 hrs and nobody has mentioned his name with the PEDs era. He is the left handed Killebrew of our time with a bunch of power and .250 - .260 avg
Old 05-17-2012, 01:17 PM
John Manning

Default Twelve of the TEN best

There's no point in ranking them, so here's my list of ten:

HANK AARON
TY COBB
JOE DIMAGGIO
LOU GEHRIG
JOE JACKSON
MICKEY MANTLE
CHRISTY MATHEWSON
WILLIE MAYS
SATCHEL PAIGE
JACKIE ROBINSON
BABE RUTH
TED WILLIAMS

Yeah, I know that's twelve. Maybe we could put pitchers in their own category. After all, I had to leave MUSIAL and CLEMENTE off my list so MATHEWSON and PAIGE could go on. And since I saw them both play, that was really hard. And who goes off to make room for CY YOUNG, SANDY KOUFAX, GREG MADDUX and BOB GIBSON?

But it might keep the discussion going. I'd really like to see other lists.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM

I based my list on what retired players names a typical 10-12 year old today recognizes (my 10 year old son, and 12 year old daughter).

Hank Aaron
Babe Ruth
Jackie Robinson
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Cy Young - due to the Cy Young Award
Roberto Clemente - due to his untimely death

I think that's a pretty good list
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM
David Str@@te

I might be a bit crossed up, but if you're going with the most legendary players IN THE HOBBY, Wagner's absolutely got to be on that list. Along with David's suggestion of Ruth, Jackson, and Mantle.

If you're going for an all time Top 10 thing, then I want to play. No particular order

Ruth
Aaron
Cobb
Mays
Gehrig
Maddux
Jeter
Johnson
Mathewson
Ripken
Old 05-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default There was only one

There was only one...

http://youtu.be/HBOQfr2Lrno

Last edited by Leon; 05-17-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Phil Garry

Jimmy Foxx
Rogers Hornsby
Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Larry

Thanks for the video, Leon. Great stuff! Both the Babe and Jimmy Foxx really launched their whole bodies into the pitch (hence the expression "swinging from the heels")--I wonder how that approach would work today, with so many pitchers able to make the ball break both ways, with slider, cutter, curve and circle-type change, that moves like a screwball, but without the wear and tear on the elbow? Or would these types of sluggers have to adopt more of a Miguel Cabrera/Joe DiMaggio approach, with a wider stance, and little more than a lift of the heel of the front foot for a stride?

Thanks for a great site,

Larry
Old 05-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Very Few

Talk about an overused term, often confused with great. Great isn't good enough to be legendary--there have to be actual "legends" told about them, stories that seem to defy the limits of human ability: the Babe's power; Johnson's speed; Cobb's fire; Robinson's determination; DiMaggio's grace (married Monroe!); William's eyesight (and military service); Gehrig's class; Jackson's perfidy; Mays's hustle; Mantle's--dare I say it--beauty. Every one of these will still be known by most baseball fans 100 years from now, while many other really great players will have been largely forgotten.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Talk about an overused term, often confused with great. Great isn't good enough to be legendary--there have to be actual "legends" told about them, stories that seem to defy the limits of human ability: the Babe's power; Johnson's speed; Cobb's fire; Robinson's determination; DiMaggio's grace (married Monroe!); William's eyesight (and military service); Gehrig's class; Jackson's perfidy; Mays's hustle; Mantle's--dare I say it--beauty. Every one of these will still be known by most baseball fans 100 years from now, while many other really great players will have been largely forgotten.
Awesomely put, Hank, and truly poetic. I think you hit the nail right on the head with that one!

Best regards,

Larry
Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Great video. Legend?

Ruth's home-run spray chart away games 1921 and 1927, with the black dots representing balls that were not home runs:

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 05-17-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There was only one...

http://youtu.be/HBOQfr2Lrno

The last clip of that collection is fantastic. The pose, the crowd rising and then the trot.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Alan U

ruth
cobb
gehrig
ott
ted williams
aaron
mantle
mays
rose
nolan ryan

11-roy hobbs
Old 05-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Don Hontz

Default Top 10

Here are my top 10=====1.Babe Ruth 2. Ty Cobb 3. Lou Gehrig 4. Joe Jackson 5. Ted Williams 6. Joe Jackson 7. Mickey Mantle 8. Willie Mays 9. Joe D. 10 Sandy Koufax Sorry Hank
Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
Here are my top 10=====1.Babe Ruth 2. Ty Cobb 3. Lou Gehrig 4. Joe Jackson 5. Ted Williams 6. Joe Jackson 7. Mickey Mantle 8. Willie Mays 9. Joe D. 10 Sandy Koufax Sorry Hank
No sweat. Koufax was the best I ever saw.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Great list... Great.

BUT I feel like ere has to be a dead ball era pitcher in there somewhere...

Walter, Cy, Addie, Matty... Hard to pick one guy, they all have merit...but they pitched with very little relief, on shorter rest, etc etc...

Also, hard to comprehend that not one player of the last 50 years was top ten good. Though I couldn't pick one name so maybe that's right...

Edit:

On second though... Ken Griffey Jr. The guy had a monster career, that should have been even better. Even with multiple lost seasons to injury, he was arguably the best fielder in the game for nearly a decade, and he was clearly one of the greatest power hitters in history. To think what he could've been if healthy is almost unthinkable

Last edited by phikappapsi; 05-17-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

Quote:
You have Joe Jackson twice.. although he was a great player!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Alan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
ruth
cobb
gehrig
ott
ted williams
aaron
mantle
mays
rose
nolan ryan

11-roy hobbs
In retrospect, Jackie Robinson should probably be somewhere on my list... in place of Rose
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Al Jurgela

i would say oscar charleston... and with far less total cards than 50 (billiken, aguilitas, tomas gutierrez)... still represents the best value to me...

al
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards