NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Cameron Crafton

Default How do you tell if a 1949 Babe Ruth Leaf Gum is real or fake?

So as I said in a previouse post I recently won 9000 baseball cards at an auction, and since I found some really rare rookie cards and non-rookie cards I contacted the woman who auctioned them off to see if she went through them before putting them up for auction.
She told me that her cousin willed them to her, and that she did NOT go through any of the cards as she wasn't into basbeall or baseball cards and it was too daunting of a task.
Well I went through some of them, and found a 1949 Babe Ruth Leaf Gum card. It was in pretty good condition, but did show signs of age and had some discoloration. So I did some research on the card and it seems to be pretty authentic, but some reprints look scarily similar to the originals, so i was wondering if you guys here know how to tell a fake 1949 Babe Ruth from an original 1949 babe Ruth.

Last edited by UOFLfan7; 06-10-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:57 PM
T0dd M@rcum

It's unlikely, but you never know. I once had a genuine 33 Goudey Ruth come to me in a similar way.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Tim

Default scans

Posting scans here of front and back would help..........
Old 06-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Cameron Crafton

Here are some pics...now as I understand if it it has a space between the shoulders and the edge it is generally a reprint, but I have seen a some authentic ones graded by PSA that have that same space, so I don't know...I'll let you guys decide.
Also, just to let you know I did find it in a really old looking card sleeve, but had to take it out of the sleeve due to glare when taking the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (62.7 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg 0009.jpg (63.9 KB, 278 views)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:41 PM
David H.

My vote is genuine. The 'white' in the uniform is the same as the border...

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
T206 NY Highlanders (100%)
1956 Topps Yankees (100%)
T210 Series 3 Orange Borders (9/20 45%)
Old 06-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper1927 View Post
My vote is genuine. The 'white' in the uniform is the same as the border...
Thanks for the help. I'll get a few more opinions before I get it graded, but I have showed it to an avid collector who is one my neighbors and he says it looks authentic also.
Its amazing what you can find at auction houses!

Last edited by UOFLfan7; 06-10-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Looks like it might be real, but possibly trimmed? If it's not trimmed, that is in great shape (minus the surface issues).

Here's an interesting thread discussing the space between the shoulders and the edge on this card....

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=877861
Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Matt Hall

What is that sliver of white along the right side border? Is it just the picture or is it on the card?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Looks like it might be real, but possibly trimmed? If it's not trimmed, that is in great shape (minus the surface issues).

Here's an interesting thread discussing the space between the shoulders and the edge on this card....

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=877861
Thanks for your opinion.
And that thread was pretty interesting. Hopefully this card is authentic!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
What is that sliver of white along the right side border? Is it just the picture or is it on the card?
If you are talking about the little line on the right side in the first picture then it is just the background paper.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 AM
John Burris

I'm sorry, but this is a reprint. It exhibits the exact same surface wear patterns on the "aged reprints" floating around. For example:

Note the front crease locations, spots, and the scuff to the right of the "H" in Ruth, along with the fading on the word "Gum" at the bottom back left.

These images are from an Etsy listing. We can revisit the whole issue of people "antiquing" their reprints, but I'd rather not. It just stinks. (And the idea of that card exhibiting four sharp corners should give anyone pause.)

Last edited by Johnny Ballgame; 06-11-2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: changed "Etsy auction" to "Etsy listing" for accuracy and added explanation of surface similarities
Old 06-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Frank Wakefield

UoFL... where are you getting these cards?

Print that post #10 of mine from that Cracker Jack thread... fold that paper and carry it with you. Anytime you're about to buy some old cards, unfold the paper and read it. You're amassing a good set of reprints and fakes the way you're going now. You at least need a black light.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 06-11-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
UoFL... where are you getting these cards?

Print that post #10 of mine from that Cracker Jack thread... fold that paper and carry it with you. Anytime you're about to buy some old cards, unfold the paper and read it. You're amassing a good set of reprints and fakes the way you're going now. You at least need a black light.
Haha, I didn't buy the cracker jacks. Those were on Ebay and like I said in the original post, I got this one in an auction with 8999 other cards so if this is a reprint it's fine with me, sure it would be nice if it was real and yeah i'm a little dissapointed but its fine haha.
Just look at some of my June pickups in the post war cards thread.

Last edited by UOFLfan7; 06-11-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Cameron Crafton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ballgame View Post
I'm sorry, but this is a reprint. It exhibits the exact same surface wear patterns on the "aged reprints" floating around. For example:

Note the front crease locations, spots, and the scuff to the right of the "H" in Ruth, along with the fading on the word "Gum" at the bottom back left.

These images are from an Etsy listing. We can revisit the whole issue of people "antiquing" their reprints, but I'd rather not. It just stinks. (And the idea of that card exhibiting four sharp corners should give anyone pause.)
Wow does that suck haha, but it's not really that big of a loss as ugly with a Tom of other cards. This one may be fake but the others are real, just not worth 800-6000 dollars by themselves...

Tags
1949, babe ruth, fake, leaf gum co., original