NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Default Jim Thorpe Baseball Cards

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

Jim Thorpe played professional baseball for a while. Are there any cards of Jim Thorpe while he was on a professional baseball team. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Peter

Old 12-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

t200 giants

Old 12-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

There are several. The M101-4 / M101-5 is one of the easiest to find, but still expensive.
Scot

Old 12-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bill

here's mine

Old 12-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I understand there is also a Colgans (E270) but it's either unique or not known.....I was reading where Lew Lipset said someone had sent him a scan or something and confirmed it. This is sketchy info on my part though.....

Old 12-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Tocco

As you might guess by my user name, I'm a bit interested in Thorpe . I don't know much about many of these issues because most are pretty tough and I haven't been researching them for long. To the best of my knowledge, this is a complete list of Thorpe's vintage baseball cards:

1901-17 Police Gazette Supplements

1909-17 Max Stein

1913 Giants Evening Sun

1913 Colgan's Tin Tops. I've read he was only available in the Tin Tops series, and I've also read there are three known. I've never seen one.

1913 T200 Fatima New York Nationals. Probably his most common card. I bought a nice PSA 1 for $200, and probably overpaid. Card also features Matthewson and McGraw.

1913 T200 Fatima premiums. Oversized version of the small Fatima card, available as a mail-in redemption. I didn't save the auction, but my memory tells me one sold at auction for about $3500 within the last 2 years.

1916 M101-5. He was only in M101-5, not M101-4. Not the rarest card, but in high demand. Considered his baseball RC.

1922 Zeenuts. A nice one sold in Mastro recently for over $10,000.

He also has a handful of pre-war Football cards.

Joe

Old 12-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

see it here:

www.imageevent.com/exhibitman/interestingexhibitcards

Old 12-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I know it's off topic, but I'd be interested to know if Thorpe was in any football sets during his active playing career?

Old 12-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I don't know if I would call the m101-5 Thorpe common, or easy to find. I was lucky enough to purchase mine about 4 years ago. In the 6 years I've been back in the hobby, I know of only 2 others that have been offered for sale in that time. I've seen just as many of his Zeenut card offered in that same time frame. I'm not sure if other collectors are like me and just will not part with card, no matter how much moeny is offered.

I don't know if I would call the inserts cards. It's kind of like calling the centerfold from Playboy a card.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Jim Thorpe's E270 certainly exists. I know of three, one of which I have a picture of. Though it is obviously an extremely scarce card, I wouldn't say three is the definitive known number of how many still exist. There will be a children's baseball/Jim Thorpe book released in 2007 that will have a picture of the mysterious E270 Thorpe card.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Administrator

The M101-5 is definitely not common, but isn't as tough as say the Colgan or the T200 premium. I regret not picking up one that was offered to me last year.

It's up to your definition if you want to count the newspaper pieces, I guess. I included them for completeness, even though I don't know much about them.

That Exhibit card is cool.

Thorpe's first football cards were issued a few years after he retired.

Joe

Old 12-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I admit I am enough of a whore that I'd sell any card I own if the offer was right.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Jay, Guys

There are few cards in my collection I wouldn't sale or trade in order to get a Sport Kings Jim Thorpe in NM condition.

Peter

Old 12-09-2006, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

As stated before Thorpe has no active card issues when he was a professional football player. I devote half of my time/$ to collecting HOF football items of players while they were active. I picked up a sportspage on eBay from the Buffalo Express (1922) which described Thorpe's heroics as a member of Oorang Indians in defeating the local Buffalo All-Americans. A neat piece and for $15 a steal. The picture below is from that page. Thorpe and fellow HOFer Joe Guyon are pictured in their Canton Bulldogs uniforms.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Administrator

That's a great piece, John.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It's a neat story too.....

Old 12-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Nazi Indians?

Old 12-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Hey Joe,

Watch the first 10 mins of the Da Vinci Code movie and you'll learn a lot about that "shape" or symbol. After that, you can turn off the movie... it wasn't amazing, but it wasn't terrible.

-Kyle-

Old 12-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyman

Below is an image of the Thorpe supplement from the New York Evening Sun (item #3 on the Thorpe checklist from the above post). The supplements featured only members of the NY Giants team. --Lyman

Old 12-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

well, if someone were to offer me $1 million, I'd prolly take it because I would ppretty much be assured of winning the next one that comes to aution and still have a nice chunk od change for other things. I don't think anyone is going to pony up that kind of coin for my card, so I'm not to worried about any offer that might actually make me think twice about selling the card.

It's essentially the cornerstone of collection, so it would take a stupid offer to get me to aprt with it. Stranger things have happened. I used to own a 1951 Minneapolis Millers jersey #24. Sadly, not Mays' as he wore 21 for them, but a guy offered me $2k for the thing back in 1989 when it was only worth about $100 and had no real interest in selling it becasue of the psuedo connection with Mays. The guy wanted for the same reason, but also to tell his buddies it was Mays, hehe

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Blach

I've been told that Thorpe is in this postcard. (This is NOT the one that recently sold on ebay and represented as a "Thorpe").

Old 12-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Administrator

I know the swastika had a few millenia of history before the nazis grabbed it, but it still has a stong emotional effect despite that knowledge.

Joe

Old 12-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

The "swastika" on the Oorand tent is NOT a swastika.If you look at it carefully the top bar starts at the west and goes easterly before turning south where it again goes easterly to the end. A swaskika of the nazi era has the top bar starting in the east, moving westerly, turning suth and then again to the west where it ends.

I guess I just could have said that the Oorang symbol is just a reverse of the nazi swastika.

Now with that said the symbol on my Pacific Coast Biscuit tin is of the nazi swastika style.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rick

Speaking of Thorpe's M101 card.
I had two of these about 2 1/2 years ago, but got talked out of one of them by someone who shall remain nameless. I have no regrets it is gone.
I was lucky enough to buy a bunch of cards back in 1983 that included some of this series. All of their conditions were close to the same. This card included.
they were in numeric ordered, and started one card after Ruth all the way to Vaughn, with doubles on Thorpe , and Tinker, singles on Stengle , Sisler and Schalk. Yes having the Ruth would be a dream come true, but I can't complain.
I actually had about a buck each in close to 600 T- series and E-eries from this purchase back then, but then again if you look at a 1983 price guide you would think I overpaid for some of them.
I have just within the last couple years started parting with any dupes,
It just made me think of it, because I think this particular Thorpe is such a great looking card.
I lurk mostly, but it is time to get off my ass and participate when i have time.
later
rick

Old 12-14-2006, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

hello everyone,
question for joe.....
other than the sport kings issue, what are the other prewar thorpe football issues?
regards
andy

Old 12-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Hey Andy,

Outside of some team composites and team photos I can't say that I have ever seen any other issues...I don't have my guide handy; did he appear on one of the blotters issued in the late 30's?

Old 12-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Yes, in addition to the Sport Kings he was in the 1939 Gridiron Greats Blotters set. Technically ink blotters and not cards . An extremely nice complete set sold in Mastro a few years ago for something ridiculous... I want to say over $10,000. He also has a 1937 Kellogg's Pep Stamp, which is another one that's kind of a stretch to call a card. Unlike Grange, he's only on one sheet.

Joe

Old 12-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

thanks for the info joe....i was afraid that i was missing some card issues. i am familiar with the stamps and the blotters. i should have responded to john yesterday (hi john), but i got this stoopid day job that keeps me away from the board.
happy holidays,
andy

Old 12-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

It would surprise me if Thorpe was on that postcard, since he was not a Cherokee. But you never know, he might have signed on to a predominantly Cherokee team, or the photographer or postcard issuer could have been ignorant of tribes.

Joe