NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Default A survey about more surveys

Posted By: jay behrens

1. too many

2. not enough

3. just right

3. checking out the landscape

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

there are a finite amount of things we can discuss here as there are only so many sets to disect. I like surveys...I like speculating how many of a certain card may exist...which ones are tougher than others...mmm...I like surveys.

pete in mn

Old 05-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

They are all fine a good, but it seems like when something seems to go over well, everyone has to step up and turn it into overkill.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

outside it's America.

pete in mn

Old 05-12-2007, 04:24 AM
Administrator

I dunno. I think there are more than a few board members from other countries. I always chuckle when people seem to think the internet is a purely American thing with only Americans using it.

Jay

Old 05-12-2007, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

One a day is tolerable... Lately there have been several active surveys and they've can be overwhelming for some collectors afflicted with personality disorders.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Jay is correct on this one. Yesterday was one of the lesser "different country" days on the board. Besides one being called "satellite provider" and America, there were 8 others....including Thailand, Mexico, of course Canada, New Zealand, Korea, China, Israel and a few others....usually there are about 12-14 different countries that hit this site everyday...and for $50 I can prove it .....I will stand on my head with a newspaper and screenshot.....

Old 05-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Leon, you are such a money grubbing whore

Jay

Old 05-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i post a new acquistion every once in a great while, but in all seriousness, way too many surveys, polls, "let's see your..." posts, etc.

what are they really accomplishing?

Old 05-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...the purpose is to determine the most commonly owned pre-war card by Net54 members. Is there something nepharious about such a goal?

Old 05-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator

I get your point on the polls but they are harmless and with the lack of O/T stuff give us something to talk about. As for the "show me" threads...are you saying you don't like to see cool vintage baseball cards? It's not like we have had more than a few "show me" threads in the last several days....

Old 05-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

i knew i would catch slack for that post...

just a little frusterated with the front page being overtaken by these threads as of late...no need for anyone to get upset...

Old 05-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

I was looking at all of the relevent threads you started on the front page.....woops...never mind...there aren't any.... This is all in fun my friend....Cards are great and 99.9% of the folks that collect them are great.....

Old 05-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I again with Michael to the poit of too many at one time. A couple at a time would be good but when there gets to be more it overwhelms the board. Heck we could easily flood a whole page with these kind of polls.

Leon, Could you make a poll of most common card collected? Narrow the list to about 10 cards, them them check the ones they have and accumulate stats that way?

Lee

Old 05-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

Never was big into the survey thing. However, I do love the "Let's see your..." threads. I like seeing the different cards out there that everyone has.

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator

i may not start that many threads, but i think what i often contribute is of value.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I understand where Michael is coming from. Sometimes too many of these surveys or "show me such and such a card" threads give the impression we're running out of things to talk about. I think we all generally prefer the really meaty topics where everyone has a strong opinion about some issue, but they can't all be that way. Sure, we're always going to have a few lulls, and some slightly less exciting threads to fill the void.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

You are a very good board member and you post a lot of good stuff....I was only making the point that without new threads it gets boring so I am enticing everyone to start good new ones...that's all....No harm was intended....I do agree that too much of anything at the same time is not good....as I alluded to in my first post about this....regards

Old 05-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...that I've been here, there has never been a "What card is owned by the most Net54'ers" thread. And, in that regard, I do think it is cool to actually be able to identify and then see that card.

So, I would agree that a thread with the 10 most likely culprits -- and I have already made the as-of-yet-unrefuted statements that Matty Dark Cap is the winner, with Cobb Red and Chase Blue close behind -- but I think the winning card should be displayed from everyone's collection (scan/photo technology permitting).

Still, the problem with keeping it all in one thread is that you wind up with scans/discussions about other cards and it gets a bit messy. But if you have the "Show Only The Matty Dark Cap You Own" thread, then it creates a focus that is less easily hijacked/blurred.

In any event, at least 28 people on this Board own a T206 Dark Capped Matty. I think that's pretty cool.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

all is cool, guys...guess i'm just a little grumpy today, i snapped my dad's head-off for asking me a question earlier...i need to chill (i'll be at the borgata in A/C tomorrow playing poker, so that should mellow me out a bit)...

...maybe i'll start a new topic on something.

MS

Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

For guys that are complaining about surveys, did you realize that you are responding to a survey.

Also, Leon is right, if you have a better idea, post it.

Peter

Old 05-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

By the way, who is keeping track of the survey threads? They are started by so many different people.

Lee

Old 05-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Lee,

I suppose the informal rule is that the person that starts the survey thread keeps track of that particular thread and updates are given as needed.

It looks pretty close between whether Net 54 members have more T-206 Dark Cap Mattys or T-206 Johnson Portraits. Currently there are more Dark Cap Mattys but that thread started about a day and a half before the Johnson Portraits.

Peter