NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-20-2015, 03:51 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Help with some Astros photos

I know these are all early Astros related. I just don't know what they are. I'm clueless on photos and the such. I am working on a a Colt .45 and early Astros post and any help with these would be Neato.

The first two are pictures of negatives that I have. They were in the box with the negs. The wax paper around the negatives on the first photo says Gentile and (?) the second name is chicken scratch. The second photo's negatives say 1965 Finale-Ball Players Stands-Gift.

The 8x10's all have the same markings on the back, except for the color shoot of the the Dome and the Paul Richards. And what is the Richards photo? Repop?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg astronegs.jpg (78.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg astronegs2.jpg (75.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg astronegs3.jpg (74.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg astronegs4.jpg (69.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg astronegs5.jpg (75.9 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg astronegs7.jpg (77.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg astronegs9.jpg (74.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg astronegs11.jpg (72.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg astronegs12.jpg (76.0 KB, 134 views)
Old 05-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'm fairly sure the color snapshot at the bottom right has Jim Wynn on the scoreboard (same image from first pic) - it's the scoreboard after he hit a home run. I'm just a little confused because of the Texaco advertising, since all the games I went to in the late 1960's had a Gulf sign instead - I have a snapshot of a similar Wynn home run photo with the Gulf signs. Maybe this one is pre-1968? Hub Kittle is in one of the pics, so that and the uniforms should help you date those.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:57 PM

Default 10th Anniversary photo

I recognize a few guys in the 10th anniversary photo.
Far left: Hal Woodeschick
2nd from Left: Dave Giusti
3rd from left: Don Larsen
5th from left: Mantle
6th from left: Ken Johnson

I'm sure someone will chime in with the other two guys, who both look familiar.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:59 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerainiers View Post
I recognize a few guys in the 10th anniversary photo.
Far left: Hal Woodeschick
2nd from Left: Dave Giusti
3rd from left: Don Larsen
5th from left: Mantle
6th from left: Ken Johnson

I'm sure someone will chime in with the other two guys, who both look familiar.
That would have '72? Why was Mantle there?
Old 05-20-2015, 05:05 PM

Mantle was there because the first game was Yankees/Astros, and he hit the first homerun. At the end of the 10th anniversary photo in uniform is Dick Farrell, the starting pitcher in that game, and the pitcher Mantle hit the homer off .
Old 05-20-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Mantle was there because the first game was Yankees/Astros, and he hit the first homerun. At the end of the 10th anniversary photo in uniform is Dick Farrell, the starting pitcher in that game, and the pitcher Mantle hit the homer off .
Absolutely correct!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Adam B

Mickey looks about 5' 5' tall next to those guys in the photo. Some big country boys there!
Old 05-21-2015, 09:49 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Thanks for the input. I'm putting on my detective coat and hitting the old interwebs to decipher the rest. I know NOTHiNG about photography. I'm going to see if I can have prints of all the negative developed.

Last edited by Laxcat; 05-21-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Todd Schultz

It looks like Roger Metzger standing behind the base at the kid's baseball clinic.
That dates those photos to the early 70's.

The 10th Anniversary photo is a bit strange to me. The dome didn't open for baseball until 1965, although construction began in 1962. The players are not wearing 1975 Astros uniforms, which was the first year of those multi-colored striped monstrosities, so it is not ten years from opening. I suppose it's possible the photo was taken pre-season '75, which makes some sense as that was 10 yrs from when Mantle homered, and that the fugly uniforms were not unveiled for a few more weeks. The featured player with the glove looks very familiar-- he has kind of a scowl that I know I've seen on a 60's Topps baseball card. Still, to me he does not look like anyone who appeared in that first pre-season game, if this was some sort of reunion, which it likely was given the people in the photo (Although I don't know why some are wearing street clothes while others are wearing the new, double-knit Astros unis).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 05-21-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:01 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I found these two stuck in a 1965 Astros box seat ticket info folder. I'm guessing the Fox is team issue. It is on really quality stock though. The other one seems to be the stadium being built. It has an almost silver sheen to it and in the bottom right border says Colt .45 photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg astronegs13.jpg (77.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg astronegs14.jpg (76.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 AM

Default Nice threads

Check out Giusti's leisure suit and shirt.

Woodeschick's pants are pretty sweet too. They had to kill a lot of polyesters to make those duds.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Some answers

Hi y'all. So I found out that the negatives were purchased from Herb Elk. Herb was the Astros public relations guy. So at least I found out where they came from. I'll keep updating the more I find out.

Last edited by Laxcat; 05-26-2015 at 04:48 PM.