NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Card Show Etiquette ? what would you do.

Heres a "what would you do" scenario ...

Midsize card show...You see a collector wandering around with a decent size cigar box...walking up to dealers looking to sell stuff.... You slide over and observe its good stuff..vintage 50s 60s cards ... lower grade HOFers, many early 60s high #s,etc..

It appears nobody is offering what he's asking... You see he still has box for 30 min or so

Do you -
A) stay away,knowing its not right for a customer to buy cards from a " non dealer/table" paying guy
B) give him the nod to " come out of the building" and look or buy in the parking lot
C) You saddle over to the guy in the show... and hand him 25 bucks for the 1959 T Mantle...pocket it and keep wandering around
Old 04-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
Heres a "what would you do" scenario ...

Midsize card show...You see a collector wandering around with a decent size cigar box...walking up to dealers looking to sell stuff.... You slide over and observe its good stuff..vintage 50s 60s cards ... lower grade HOFers, many early 60s high #s,etc..

It appears nobody is offering what he's asking... You see he still has box for 30 min or so

Do you -
A) stay away,knowing its not right for a customer to buy cards from a " non dealer/table" paying guy
B) give him the nod to " come out of the building" and look or buy in the parking lot
C) You saddle over to the guy in the show... and hand him 25 bucks for the 1959 T Mantle...pocket it and keep wandering around
D) As soon as they walk away from a dealers table go up to them and make a deal if there is anything you want. The guy is selling cards why would you let a dealer buy them first?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Bret

I would ask to take a look at the cards off to the side. What difference is it whether they are at a table as a dealer or not. Two of my lcs have trade days where this happens all the time whether it's trading or selling.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

If I had the money I'd probably see about making a deal. If it's done discreetly, it really shouldn't be a problem.

At least twice I've even made deals at a shop, Once with the dealers permission, just after the seller left with no offer, the other at the dealers prompting. "Can you use these RC cans? No! But that kid will buy them"

Having a really great relationship with a dealer can be very beneficial.

Steve B
Old 04-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
D) As soon as they walk away from a dealers table go up to them and make a deal if there is anything you want. The guy is selling cards why would you let a dealer buy them first?
+1

If the last dealer "passed" - he's fair game.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:31 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default show

I tend to think dealers and show promoter would be against any " selling/cash transactions' on floor ".

Does paying for a table ...give the dealer " exclusive rights" ?

Dealers might feel - " even though I passed on this guys selling price for the box of cards...I don't want the " competition" from a customer"... thinking the guy will then come back and sell his stuff cheaper
Old 04-24-2017, 07:38 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

If I see someone walking around a show with a briefcase, box, bag, etc., and they look like they're friendly, I'll ask them, "Whatcha got in the bag"???

Sometimes they're buying, sometimes they're selling, sometimes they're trading, and sometimes they just stop and show me some cool stuff...
Old 04-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Br3tt K0llin

Quote:

Was just about to post almost the same thing-I agree with option D!
Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Al Richter

I avoid people with bags, but admit I have been in the Middle East for awhile now
Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Agree with Ben...but would certainly be discrete about it.

Z
Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I think it would be poor form to stick your nose into the middle of someone's discussion with a dealer, but beyond that I'd have no qualms asking to see what someone has. And I wouldn't be hiding in a hallway or bathroom to do it. My experience is that very few dealers at shows are there to do heavy duty buying. Might be there for a purchase or two, but most of them are there to raise cash, not hand it over to someone else.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alr-bishop View Post
i avoid people with bags, but admit i have been in the middle east for awhile now
lol.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Glyn Parson

Default I would wait til he left show

Dealers pay good money to set up and buying walk ins is one of those things they are paying for.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:32 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Would consider him fair game... not much different than a flea market or antique show...and my money is green too!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:43 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I agree. Cards are fair game if the guy is not at a table talking to a dealer.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default fair

I first hand saw a promoter walk up to guy trying to sell and say something to the effect of " Hey, knock it off..dealers are complaining that your selling to customers "
Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 PM

I always carry a couple of graded cards in my pocket at a show. Usually a hot card that I'm using to sell or trade with. A pretty innocent "Hey what's in the case... do you ever trade?" with cards in hand so they know you're just a dude can spark a fruitful conversation and a possible transaction.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:03 AM

Dealers aren't looking to help anyone out. So if in your mind you're saying to yourself, "I will pay market value for that card," then the guy would probably love to talk to you.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Dealers pay good money to set up and buying walk ins is one of those things they are paying for.
+1

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore