NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

Default Removing ink from baseballs

It took only 2 years to research and test, however last week " GONE WITH THE STAIN" past the test. Removed ball point pen on the sweetspot, ball looks great with no markes or indents. I have already checked with a top man who grades baseballs, he said, he could care less what is removed, as long as the signature he grades is real.

If anybody is out there and we can help, please email me at rtowle1@twcny.rr.com or call 315 375 8542 EST zone.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

And the point is what? To deceptively create the illusion of a single signed ball?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 AM

Exactly. Even with full disclosure of any work done to a baseball, many collectors turn away from such items due to the correct perception that they are marred and no longer in original condition. I'm sure that Dick has no malicious intent on his end, but this service will be used by people with deceit in their hearts and dollar signs in their minds.

I would be interested to see examples of your latest work, Dick, although it would be much better to see in-person. Just remember--things like this do not get past a VSC. I would also assume that, when held to a light at a certain angle, ballpoint pen impressions where ink was removed are still entirely visible.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 08-18-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

What's next? "Gone with the Crease?"
Old 08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
Exactly. Even with full disclosure of any work done to a baseball, many collectors turn away from such items due to the correct perception that they are marred and no longer in original condition. I'm sure that Dick has no malicious intent on his end, but this service will be used by people with deceit in their hearts and dollar signs in their minds.

I would be interested to see examples of your latest work, Dick, although it would be much better to see in-person. Just remember--things like this do not get past a VSC. I would also assume that, when held to a light at a certain angle, ballpoint pen impressions where ink was removed are still entirely visible.
NOTHING SHOWS, GET A BASEBALL, SIGN THE SWEET SPOT AND SEND TO ME i CAN SHOW YOU BETTER. DR
Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKTOWLE View Post
NOTHING SHOWS, GET A BASEBALL, SIGN THE SWEET SPOT AND SEND TO ME i CAN SHOW YOU BETTER. DR
Are you saying the area of the removed signature would not show up under a black light?
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-18-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Are you saying the area of the removed signature would not show up under a black light?
Richard,

Here I am going on about the VSC! Yes, a simple black light test would prove extremely interesting. If chemicals are involved (which they most assuredly are), picking up a $20 black light would likely do the trick.

Dick,

I beg you to reconsider offering this service, which will ultimately prove to create more problems for an area of the hobby which does not need any further negativity cast upon it. Stain removal and signature removal are two vastly different concepts, and thus both subscribe to a different set of mores. Signature removal will only inevitably serve to pad the wallets of scam artists, despite your good intentions. If your motives are purely for the betterment of the hobby, then it should be easy to understand my standpoint on this (and I make my living selling autographs).

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 08-18-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And the point is what? To deceptively create the illusion of a single signed ball?
Again, one of the top grading company's said " as long as the autograph they are looking at is the one to grade, it would make no difference. Also like in this case a man bought a ball with Mantle and Maris on it- mantle was real, Maris was not, now he can have the mantle graded- and yes, crease, like a dent in a car, can be removed also.

Maybe a good person like the one who sent me the ball can now enjoy it, I would just love to remove fraud from a ball. Maybe there are a lot of honest people out there who were cheated- now I can help. Thank you again Pete.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

In my judgment, it's deceptive, regardless of what the person you spoke to says. Taking out creases, without full disclosure, has no justification in my book.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM

There certainly are many fake Maris balls featuring genuine Mantle signatures.

PSA and JSA will still authenticate balls with signature removal(s), but will make mention of this fact in a full LOA. With small cert items (those that come only with a card/sticker with matching numbers), both companies will make mention of any removals on their respective websites.

Just to clarify, Dick--will you only be removing fraudulent signatures from baseballs, or will you remove anything the customer requests (such as removing a Milt Pappas signature off the side panel of a ball that also has a blazing Nellie Fox autograph)?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM

I'm not offering judgment, but believe what Dick says about autograph grading is accurate. I believe PSA/DNA's grade for an autograph is for the autograph itself and not the overall item. If you send in a Sandy Koufax single signed baseball or scrap of paper, the grade is for the signature not the ball or scrap of paper.

Last edited by drc; 08-18-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Barry Sloate

But the most valuable form of a signature is a single signed ball. So now you will have people looking for mixed signature balls that they can buy reasonably, and then use this product to remove all the signatures except the valuable one. It will create a cottage industry of people buying balls only with the intent of changing their appearance. And that will be the sole use of the product, to make that change.

That's not a good thing.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-18-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirkholm View Post
there certainly are many fake maris balls featuring genuine mantle signatures.

Psa and jsa will still authenticate balls with signature removal(s), but will make mention of this fact in a full loa. With small cert items (those that come only with a card/sticker with matching numbers), both companies will make mention of any removals on their respective websites.

Just to clarify, dick--will you only be removing fraudulent signatures from baseballs, or will you remove anything the customer requests (such as removing a milt pappas signature off the side panel of a ball that also has a blazing nellie fox autograph)?
correct if the signature is not real, that is the plan.