NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Default Well...I guess she's going to let it run as is......

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I contacted this seller within an hour of her launching this auction to let her know that this was NOT Grover Alexander.

Here is my first email to her: "That's not Grover Cleveland Alexander in your photo. It's Dan Howley the manager of the St Louis Browns. The Cardinals did not wear that type of uniform in 1928. In fact they had not worn a uniform with 'St Louis' on the front of the jersey since 1921. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news."

Her response: "Hi Dan, here is the photo that was on the website about Grover, the faces are identical aren't they? Marianne"

My second email to her: "Marianne, they look a little bit similar, but there is absolutely no way that is Alexander in your photo. I am 100% certain of this. The St Louis Cardinals did not wear that type of uniform in 1928 and had not worn anything like that since 1921. I am completely sure that this is the manager of the St Louis Browns. Baseball photo identification is a specialty of mine.

You can check the uniforms at the Hall of Fame's Uniform Database here:

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/database.htm

Here is a baseball card of Dan Howley:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-Goudey-175-Dan-Howley-Toronto-Maple-Leafs-Ex_W0QQitemZ8722933613QQihZ014QQcategoryZ86847QQrd Z1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Best regards,
Dan Bretta"

Her response: "thanks Dan I already emailed the bidder, I appreciate your help! Again thanks I guess I struck out on this one! Marianne"

I just checked in to see if she ended the auction or amended it and she has done neither and now it has a second bid.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Dan

Do you have the auction link?

Max

Old 09-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Oh yeah...sorry about that.

http://tinyurl.com/3xjobl

Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Looks like she's going to let it run, but if you read the Q&A section she has let people know it's not Alexander.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Anyone know how to contact Dino at Tampa Bay cards? He has the high bid on this auction right now and I can guarantee you he is unaware that this is not GCA. I tried to contact him but ebay did not allow it and he has no current auctions running so it's impossible to contact him.

I emailed the lady again and told her she should end this auction now.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Davis

Since the item has a bid, it is too late to change the title. To her credit, she listed a Q/A at the bottom that indicates it is not Grover.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator

She was made aware of her mistake within one hour of her listing this auction. She should have ended it, but she chose not too.....she should still end it and I emailed her and told her she needs to notify the bidders what they are bidding on if she's not going to end it. She said she would, but if anyone here knows Dino or has his email address he should be notified. I can almost guarantee you that he didn't see the Q/A at the bottom otherwise I don't think he would have bid that high for this.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

the auction was indeed ended early.

Re contacting people on Ebay, I don't think people have to have active listings in order to be able to do this.

Click on the persons feedback number. It takes you to their 'Feedback Profile'. In the same line as their ID, feedback number and the notation of how long they've been a member it has a 'Contact Member' link to the right. If you click here, you can contact the person.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Martin, I tried that, but once I got done with my letter and hit send it said that I could not contact the ebay member because I did not have a current transaction with him.

I'm glad she finally ended it...I think my last email to her made her start to feel a little guilty. It's not like this was that big of a deal, but she should have ended it right away when she found out...of course maybe she didn't believe me?? Who knows. It's ended.