NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Al Richter

Default 1984 Topps "head all in the box"...

...or Encased proof set. Note the mix up on Carlton and Mathews ( marked with stickers)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-22-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 AM

Nice sheet. I had never heard of these until recently I picked up some commons to have as samples from the set.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Mike Bodner

these are very cool cards! There are a couple rare proof cards on a sheet on ebay and the seller doesn't even realize it! I have been fascinated with proofs since I read the articles in Baseball Cards Magazine in the mid 80's.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Kevin S.

Default 84 Proof HIB

Always a favorite. Here are some of my 84 Topps proof's. Not so long ago, Global was the only company grading these. I got a couple sets and cut them up myself; had one graded with a high GPA:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84_ToppsProof2.jpg (81.9 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg 84_ToppsProof3.jpg (54.8 KB, 294 views)
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Al Richter

Default proofs ?

I had an interesting debate with a seller of these ...well interesting to me anyway. His position was that these are not proofs in the traditional sense. You can find blank backed proofs of 1984 Topps cards with the head out of the box. He claimed that those were true proof cards. These he said, although blank back, were not proofs but rejected prototypes that led to the design change ultimately adopted. It may be a distinction without a difference, but in his mind it made the head in a box "prototypes" more valuable than mere proofs. As for the value of this "set" over time, he has mostly been right.

Other than the 67 Maris as a Yankee and the 77 Jackson as an Oriole ( there are some other 77 proofs like that as well), proofs, unless they include a Topps Vault certificate do not seem to sell for great premiums over other blank back cards. I would add the 3 1960 "proofs" of Cimoli, Hadley and Throneberry to the value list, but I think Bob Lemke determined that they are not blank backed proofs but rather rare variations with regular backs

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-26-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Vin¢£nt J@m£s Mo®£tti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
...or Encased proof set. Note the mix up on Carlton and Mathews ( marked with stickers)
AL, do any other players have HIB cards, or was just those on this sheet?
You said "encased proof set" so I'm thinking it's just these, but wanted to double check. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Al Richter

Default 1984 Encased or Head in the Box

Vincent---The base set has only 66 cards that come from a proof design sheet like the one I have. They are always blank backed and are not proofs of the actual 1984 set. In addition to the Carlton/Mathews mix up, Manny Trillo appears as an Indian rather than an Expo as in the regular set. I say base set because some say a master set includes 338 cards...the same 66 cards but with different colors missing from progressive proof sheets. Some of these also show up on ebay from time to time...blueless, redless, blackless. I picked up some as examples
Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Vin¢£nt J@m£s Mo®£tti

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Pete Sycks

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlychild View Post
Always a favorite. Here are some of my 84 Topps proof's. Not so long ago, Global was the only company grading these. I got a couple sets and cut them up myself; had one graded with a high GPA:
It looks like Carlton got a pretty dark spray tan in his pic at the bottom.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

For the Dodgers team set there are three cards. F. Valenzuela and Greg Brock are fairly easy to find, however, I had to purchase the Topps Vault Progressive proof of Steve Sax in order to complete my team set. If anyone has a regular encased Sax I would be a buyer. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Keith

Default 84 Sax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
For the Dodgers team set there are three cards. F. Valenzuela and Greg Brock are fairly easy to find, however, I had to purchase the Topps Vault Progressive proof of Steve Sax in order to complete my team set. If anyone has a regular encased Sax I would be a buyer. Thanks.
I have a Sax that is sheet cut... PM me if interested.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Thanks for selling me the card Keith, I appreciate your help! Looking forward to receiving it.

And thank you Al, for letting me hijack your thread to cross another item off my want list!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Tony Quinn

Default Maris, Jackson

Does anyone have scans of the aforementioned '67 Maris Yankees or '77 Jackson Orioles? Would love to see them.