NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 AM

Default Any Post Card experts here?

I believe this is a modern back and not 1930s. I think these backs were done in the late 1950s and 1960s. Dan.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-George-...item4cfd4096f5
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Dan Bretta

uh...definitely not 1930s. I realize this is a 1932 image, but wtf was SGC thinking slabbing that like that? My opinion is that was made in the 1960s or 70s. I would say with 99.9% certainty that this was made by Jim Rowe in the 70s. SGC should slab it as such too. $125?? with 6 days to go?? It's a $5-$10 postcard.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 01-03-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Phil Garry

I have seen this specific postcard circulate and sell every few months, or at least it appears that way. Once the new owner realizes that it is not from 1932, they probably sell it off and move on.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 AM

I thought so, yea, this is a mistake. SGC should consult a post card expert before slabbing something they know nothing about. I am no post card expert and knew this was bogus. unreal.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I have seen this specific postcard circulate and sell every few months, or at least it appears that way. Once the new owner realizes that it is not from 1932, they probably sell it off and move on.
How does anyone see that reverse and still drop $100+ on that postcard? Slabbed by SGC as 1932, that's how.

I have a revelation! maybe SGC should buy it and get it off of the market? fix a mistake they made? Should only set them back a few hundred.
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

SGC is pretty worthless when it comes to grading postcards. Not as bad as PSA, but still not very good.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Dan Bretta

I have no relationship with anyone at SGC, but perhaps someone could point out that auction and this thread to someone over there and they can get it off the market. Apparently the only reason it's staying in that bogus slab is because no one wants to lose money on it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Jeff

I noticed that one too. The Kodak stamp box on the back means it's at least from the 1950's. SGC got this one wrong.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default " 1932 p/c "

Dan

I have one of these. It's buried somewhere in one of my numerous junk-piles. If I find it, I will post it.

Anyway, I acquired it in small Antique shop in Pennsy approx. 15 years ago for $10. I asked the owner why was it only $10 ?

He said he that it was most likely issued circa 1950's (or 1960's).

Happy New Year to you and your Dad.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 01-03-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Dan Bretta

I am still trying to find any proof at all that these Burke/Brace Kodak backed postcards were ever issued in the 1950s. I don't think Rowe started making them until the 1960s.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Happy New Year Ted! Good to hear from you!

Yes I may be off, 60s and 70s may be correct, like I said, I am no expert on post cards but sure know enough not to slab this 1932!

ugh grading!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

more like 1970s

same back as all the real photo postcards made by Jim Rowe
Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

How about this Ruth postcard? Any ideas on the dating or whether the ebay listing is good? Link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth_front.jpg (39.8 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg ruth_back.jpg (12.5 KB, 225 views)
Old 01-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

looks ok, but really hard to tell from those scans
Old 01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default probably not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
How about this Ruth postcard? Any ideas on the dating or whether the ebay listing is good? Link
I bought a generic Ruth PC from this seller recently that I believe is not good and will be returning. All of his other stuff he is currently selling is fake and I would bet this one you ask about is too. I am going to lunch with some friends, who are graders, in the next day or two and will let them look at the PC I have but on first glance I don't like it, or the one shown. They have that "fake rough" paper feel. Most times when someone is selling reprints/fakes then the other things they have are too. We have seen this happen time and again. regards
Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Robert S

Default Not Good

These were a fantasy piece intended to deceive. A postcard magazine wrote up this fake a few years ago.

They pointed out that no postcards were issued at the time with both the stadium and Ruth's image.

Robert S
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM

No good for sure Gary, stay away from that recently made fake! I will try to shut it down.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM

There's a good website that I use that shows all the stamp boxes on postcards and when they were used. From that, you can see that this postcard was printed after 1950. The site is at:
http://www.playle.com/realphoto/

I still don't understand why they don't fake the stamp box also, but I guess that not many people know about them
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I bought a generic Ruth PC from this seller recently that I believe is not good and will be returning. All of his other stuff he is currently selling is fake and I would bet this one you ask about is too. I am going to lunch with some friends, who are graders, in the next day or two and will let them look at the PC I have but on first glance I don't like it, or the one shown. They have that "fake rough" paper feel. Most times when someone is selling reprints/fakes then the other things they have are too. We have seen this happen time and again. regards
In checking his feedback, he seems to have just recently forayed into the sports collectibles business.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
R Dixon

Default You guys are killing me.

I have this same postcard in a SGC 50 holder! I bought it on ebay a year or two ago for around $300. Obviously that was a big mistake. I don't know anything about postcards so in the end I know I shouldn't have bought it. I saw the SGC slab and assumed that it was good.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
In checking his feedback, he seems to have just recently forayed into the sports collectibles business.
I don't think it is going to go too well for him.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
I have this same postcard in a SGC 50 holder! I bought it on ebay a year or two ago for around $300. Obviously that was a big mistake. I don't know anything about postcards so in the end I know I shouldn't have bought it. I saw the SGC slab and assumed that it was good.
You should ask them to make you whole.
You made your purchase based on their advertised expertise.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Phil Garry

I bet that almost all semi-serious postcard collectors know about dating postcards using the stamp boxes and back designs
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
You should ask them to make you whole.
You made your purchase based on their advertised expertise.
Comical! But true, they should make good as you trusted their supposed expertise! That is the problem with buying stuff based on what someone who knows nothing is grading!

I suggest we should educate ourselves like we did in the good ole days and not trust ridiculous slabs created by clueless people who have been in the hobby 5 years.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM
R Dixon

Default Here's a pic

The back is the same as the other one.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 PM

Front doesn't look bad, the back is what matters. If the back is the same back as the ebay auction I posted, then you have a 1960s or 70s post card worth about $15.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Phil Garry

I tend to think that this particular postcard might be an isolated example as I have submitted/tried to submit many postcards to SGC and the graders are all over the stamp boxes, back designs, etc. in an effort to accurately identify the era which the postcard was produced.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Comical! But true, they should make good as you trusted their supposed expertise! That is the problem with buying stuff based on what someone who knows nothing is grading!

I suggest we should educate ourselves like we did in the good ole days and not trust ridiculous slabs created by clueless people who have been in the hobby 5 years.
Dan you might be onto something there. A whole lot more of my collection would pass for NRMT then based on the good ole days.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I tend to think that this particular postcard might be an isolated example as I have submitted/tried to submit many postcards to SGC and the graders are all over the stamp boxes, back designs, etc. in an effort to accurately identify the era which the postcard was produced.
Maybe all sent in at the same time by one person who got lucky that an unqualified grader was working?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Dan McKee--Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. As someone who collects postcards, I'm always wary of hybrid cards like this one. For example, I know that Burke reprinted many of his earlier images as postcards, and over the years I've learned to identify them.
Dave--Thanks for the excellent link for identifying postcard stamp boxes. It's nice to have this organized in one source.
Ted Z--I'd love to dig around in some of those "piles of stuff" in your house.
Dan Bretta--Your comment about "unqualified grader" seems eerily accurate!

Happy New Year to all!

Cheers, Mike
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
this a fantasy piece thats been floating around eBay and flea markets for a few years now. If I remember right the real Yankee Stadium postcard it was designed from didnt have the image of Ruth on front. the Ruth image was added to make it more appealing... there should be info on the internet on this card and a couple others from the same source.

edited to ad a link to info and the image of the real postcard this was designed from
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=79620
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Dan Bretta

The ebay seller ended his postcard. I emailed him with the bad news earlier today and he did the right thing by ending it. SGC needs to compensate this seller and they also need to compensate rdixon.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 01-03-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:16 AM

I've seen this variation before too at a Post Card Show....the seller knew what he had and did sell it as a reproduction stamped on the back... he said that he's seen others try to give it the "aged" look to make it look older...but the back is the giveaway....his advice was to learn before you buy..just like everything I guess... SGC definitely should have caught this one.

Ricky Y
Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 AM
R Dixon

Default Yep

As many have said, I really should have done my own research. It probably wouldn't have taken too much. As I said before, I saw the SGC slab and assumed it was good. Now for my lesson in humility.

I seem to do fine with cards. I've spent a few years around here and the old board and feel like I've got a pretty good eye for reprints and scam artists. It's when I get off the beaten path and buy a photo, postcard, ticket, etc. that I seem to get burned. I mean seriously....who reprints tickets!

Oh well....lesson learned. Hopefully the last one.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM

That isn't your fault RDixon, in the current collecting environment we are in, those companies portray themselves as the "experts" I have been saying since 1991 when PSA first got laughed at at the National, that the 3rd party grading is a joke. It does serve a purpose to help with a lot of online reprints. But the companies should hire or "UTILIZE" experts who have offered them help and even free help.

I think SGC is the best choice as PSA is more quantity then quality.

I do not consider myself qualified to be slabbing post cards, and I can promise you that I have forgotten more then the graders know about them.

Chin up! Keep collecting! any hobby will die without new and constant collectors.

Dan
Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Dan you might be onto something there. A whole lot more of my collection would pass for NRMT then based on the good ole days.
Yes the grading sure was different! But it was also based on the naked eye. A gorgeous card that has a minute wrinkle that you can only see magnified 10 times, was considered NM. And that was acceptable in a hobby that had collectors instead of investors.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
That isn't your fault RDixon, in the current collecting environment we are in, those companies portray themselves as the "experts" I have been saying since 1991 when PSA first got laughed at at the National, that the 3rd party grading is a joke. It does serve a purpose to help with a lot of online reprints. But the companies should hire or "UTILIZE" experts who have offered them help and even free help.

I think SGC is the best choice as PSA is more quantity then quality.

I do not consider myself qualified to be slabbing post cards, and I can promise you that I have forgotten more then the graders know about them.

Chin up! Keep collecting! any hobby will die without new and constant collectors.

Dan
Dan' s right...I'm sure we all have been burned at one time or another in the hobby...I know I have had my share. I hope you can get SGC to work with you on this one. Good Luck!

Ricky
Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. For reference, here is the other fantasy piece from the same seller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth front.jpg (37.3 KB, 95 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

ya Garry, thats the other one Ive seen, there might even be a 3rd one, but Im not positive. I knew there was at least 2 that had the Ruth images added to the fakes.
Good job bring these up in this thread too, many might not know about them as well...