NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Steve

Default First Time Going to National Convention (Prices better or Worse than eBay)?

I am Planning on going to the Sports Card National Convention for the Very First Time In Cleveland in August.

I am very very excited

Since I have never been to a Giant Show Show like this I was wondering what should I expect?

Any Tips from those of you that have been to this show in the past?

How are Prices and Selection?

How Many Vendors are there?

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 06-21-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:05 AM
Kyle May

Prices

Prices will vary. You'll have some sellers who roll their weekend costs into the prices of their cards. Others will have market list prices, and room for negotiation, especially if you buy multiples.

Selection

Depends on your focus. There's a lot of everything, and little of some things. Also, some of the good stuff is picked over on Wednesday by early entry/dealers.

Number of Vendors

A lot. I don't know the exact number, but the IX Center is huge and the show typically does a good job of filling the one side up. You'll be overwhelmed. I've been to two, and learned quickly my errors. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Rob G.

Prices are much higher than ebay. Probably 25% more. If it was the same as ebay, the dealers wouldn't show up. They have to pay for tables and gas/hotel/food expenses. You can negotiate / make offers if the sticker price is close to what you want to pay. But if its double, then its probably not worth the effort.

tips:
- wear comfortable sneakers cuz you will do a lot of walking for many hours
- bring a backpack to carry stuff in, including want lists and stuff you buy. Don't lose site of your backpack cuz there are sticky fingers all around.
- bring snacks because the convention food options are often limited and pricey
- unless you see an AMAZING deal, try to do a quick run-thru before buying. Keep track of table numbers with notes about the table contents if you see something you like, because you will THINK it'll be easy to find but after seeing hundreds of tables over multiple hours everything blurs together. Something simple like "T206 Cobb red VG $1k table #88 " will suffice.

Have fun!!!
Rob
Old 06-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Steve

Are there any recommended dealers or NOT recommended dealers?
Old 06-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Prices are much higher than ebay. Probably 25% more. If it was the same as ebay, the dealers wouldn't show up. They have to pay for tables and gas/hotel/food expenses. You can negotiate / make offers if the sticker price is close to what you want to pay. But if its double, then its probably not worth the effort.

tips:
- bring a backpack to carry stuff in, including want lists and stuff you buy. Don't lose site of your backpack cuz there are sticky fingers all around.
- unless you see an AMAZING deal, try to do a quick run-thru before buying. Keep track of table numbers with notes about the table contents if you see something you like, because you will THINK it'll be easy to find but after seeing hundreds of tables over multiple hours everything blurs together. Something simple like "T206 Cobb red VG $1k table #88 " will suffice.

Have fun!!!
Rob
When you say 25 Percent More than eBay do you mean?

- 25 Percent more than eBay Buy it Now (Seems like 90 Percent of eBay is BIN these Days). I remember the Good Old Days when eBay was 90 Percent Auctions.

- Or 25 Percent More than eBay Auction Prices.

It seems like eBay Auctions (What I always do) sell for Half of What Buy It Now eBay Prices are.

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 06-21-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Val Kehl

Rob, I agree with you re prices, except for the many eBay museums that have BIN prices that are greatly in excess of what one is likely to find at the NSCC, IMO.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:19 AM
Steve

I recently got the following on eBay (Auction not Buy it Now).

1950 Bowman Common PSA 8

It was $40

What do you think that card would sell for at the show?
Old 06-21-2018, 10:23 AM
Steve

I am pretty much looking for the following at the show.

1800's Cards (Low Grade PSA)
- Old Judge, Mayo, etc.

1915 Cracker Jack - Lower Grade PSA
1909 T206 - PSA 7 or Less
1933 Goudey - Lower Grades PSA 6 or Less

Common Cards from the 1940's and 1950's in PSA 8 (My Goal is to get one from each year - I currently have 1950 Bowman and Topps 56, 57, 58, 59)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Steve

Also I am OCD about my PSA Cards.

I only buy Originals that are in the Original Style Flip (from the 1990's) with the Rounded Corners.

The Square ones Drive me Nuts.

I guess I don't like change LOL.

It seems like I have to look at like 200 Square Flips just to Find One Round Flip from the 1990's on eBay.

That is the Main Reason I am going to the show as I only buy on eBay and it takes forever Squinting my Eyes to Find the OLD PSA Holders on eBay.

Will those be hard to find at the show (More or Less Common than eBay).

If they are Non-Existant at the Show I might as well just stay home and Skip the Show.

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 06-21-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 AM
Steve

I also want Raw Ungraded Cards for my Type Set Binder (One Card from Each Year).

I am just worried about Fakes being they are not Graded as there are Fakes on eBay.

Have you seen any Fake Non-Graded Cards at the Show or are all the Dealers Very Honest?

Are Ungraded Cards alot Cheaper than Graded ones of the Same Grade or No?
Old 06-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Steve

Sorry for all the Questions.

I just don't want to go if it is a waste of time for me.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that T206 Guy View Post
Sorry for all the Questions.

I just don't want to go if it is a waste of time for me.
I've been to a few Nationals, and wish I could arrange to attend more frequently, but the biggest reason to go -- for me -- is just to see all the stuff and connect with folks. If you'll be disappointed if you don't put a big dent in your want list at prices you like, there's a chance it may not work out for you, but I recommend it as a worthwhile experience overall.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:06 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
I've been to a few Nationals, and wish I could arrange to attend more frequently, but the biggest reason to go -- for me -- is just to see all the stuff and connect with folks. If you'll be disappointed if you don't put a big dent in your want list at prices you like, there's a chance it may not work out for you, but I recommend it as a worthwhile experience overall.
I am willing to pay more than eBay as I get to see the cards in person and the Dealers have alot of expenses.

For Instance

I just got a 1950 Bowman PSA 8 Common for $40 on eBay Auction (not buy it now).

I wouldn't mind paying say $60 for the same card at the Show since I can Cherry Pick but lets say the same card I paid $40 for on eBay Auction was $200 at the Show Forget it.

That's what I am wondering?

Since many of you have been to the National Convention before what do you think Dealers would Price a 1950 Bowman PSA 8 Common for?

I don't need an exact quote of a card you actually saw.

Just off the top of your head what do you think something like that would be priced at the show?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:07 AM
James
James Kin.chen

You probably won't find a lot of the old PSA slabs at the show
Old 06-21-2018, 11:07 AM

The collection of sports card knowledge is one location is the greatest part of attending a show. I always ask lots of questions and most dealers will freely impart their wisdom as long as the table isn’t too busy. The good ones also know who specializes in certain areas (raw cards, unopened, T cards, autographs, etc) and point you their direction.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
You probably won't find a lot of the old PSA slabs at the show
Would you say it is about the same Ratio (Old vs. New) as eBay?

Better or Worse than eBay or the Same?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post

tips:

Have fun!!!
Rob
It just depends. I have found dealers that are very much in line with Ebay/Auction Houses. They understand that Ebay/PayPal takes 13%, Auction Houses ~20%. They can sell enough where their expenses are covered by what they don't have to give to Ebay/Auction Houses. Then you have dealers who have museum prices and are trying to cover their expenses on a couple sales.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:35 AM
James

"Prices are much higher than ebay. Probably 25% more. If it was the same as ebay, the dealers wouldn't show up."

I disagree with this statement in one of the posts because it's too much of a generalization. Some dealers will be very overpriced and some will be in-line to better than a comparable auction house price, and everything in between. Like with everything else it depends on the dealer's cost basis/financial situation, how long it's been in their inventory, etc. If there is a general statement that I think is true it's that people shouldn't go to the show looking for bargains. That rarely happens for popular vintage cards at these conventions because the dealers are familiar with market prices...but if you work the floor you may get lucky.

Last edited by griffon512; 06-21-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:41 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It just depends. I have found dealers that are very much in line with Ebay/Auction Houses. They understand that Ebay/PayPal takes 13%, Auction Houses ~20%. They can sell enough where their expenses are covered by what they don't have to give to Ebay/Auction Houses. Then you have dealers who have museum prices and are trying to cover their expenses on a couple sales.
Awesome.

Glad to hear that.

I have seen a few people say "Museum Prices" on this Forum.

What does that actually mean?

Like Double or Triple what a Card is Really Worth?

Does it only Apply to Star Players or PSA 9 and 10

I am just Buying Commons in the Highest Grade I can Afford.

I am looking to Spend $60 Max from cards in the 1940's and 1950's

Maybe $100 to $300 for Older Stuff like Old Judge and T206

Does that stuff get Marked up to "Museum Prices" or is it only stuff like Mickey Mantle Rookies that are "Museum Prices"?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:43 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
"Prices are much higher than ebay. Probably 25% more. If it was the same as ebay, the dealers wouldn't show up."

I disagree with this statement in one of the posts because it's too much of a generalization. Some dealers will be very overpriced and some will be in-line to better than a comparable auction house price, and everything in between. Like with everything else it depends on the dealer's cost basis/financial situation, how long it's been in their inventory, etc. If there is a general statement that I think is true it's that people shouldn't go to the show looking for bargains. That rarely happens for popular vintage cards at these conventions because the dealers are familiar with market prices...but if you work the floor you may get lucky.
When you say 25 Percent More than eBay do you mean?

- 25 Percent more than eBay Buy it Now (Seems like 90 Percent of eBay is BIN these Days). I remember the Good Old Days when eBay was 90 Percent Auctions.

- Or 25 Percent More than eBay Auction Prices.

It seems like eBay Auctions (What I always do) sell for Half of What Buy It Now eBay Prices are.

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 06-21-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:09 PM
Eric
Eric

You aren't going to get exact answers to most of your questions. If you are solely going there to find great deals, better buy a VIP tag and be running in when the doors open ready to buy immediately the first thing you see that is close to what you want.
The National is an experience and, IMHO, a tremendous one at that. I love to see stuff that I have never seen in person. I love to have conversations and meet great people. I usually buy a few cards and mostly get some great time with my 13 year old and 16 year old sons.
Just my 2 cents worth, but you will get much more out of it if you are going for the experience of it. And bonus if you get some good buys.
Eric
Old 06-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You just gotta go, dig in, and work the room. All of the obvious great deals are gone before the show even opens by way of dealer to dealer sales, but there are tons of great items available at great prices, if you do the legwork. Flexibility is key: if you go there thinking that you are going to look for one rare card only, you probably will leave empty-handed. I find it best to go with a detailed want list across everything I collect but also ready to snap up whatever I come across that I can easily flip or trade. And then there are the offbeat things you find that you just cannot anticipate.

I figure that by the end of the show I will have physically shuffled through over 100,000 cards and looked at untold thousands more.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
You just gotta go, dig in, and work the room. All of the obvious great deals are gone before the show even opens by way of dealer to dealer sales, but there are tons of great items available at great prices, if you do the legwork. Flexibility is key: if you go there thinking that you are going to look for one rare card only, you probably will leave empty-handed. I find it best to go with a detailed want list across everything I collect but also ready to snap up whatever I come across that I can easily flip or trade. And then there are the offbeat things you find that you just cannot anticipate.

I figure that by the end of the show I will have physically shuffled through over 100,000 cards and looked at untold thousands more.
I am not looking for Crazy Expensive Stuff or HOF.

Just Common Cards.
- PSA 7 and PSA 8 From the 1940's and 1950's of Common Players
- 1909 T206 in PSA 1-7 of Common Players
- Stuff Like that

Do Commons Sell before the Show Starts?

I would assume you are talking about Mantle Rookies and Stuff like that.

Or Am I Wrong?

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 06-21-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

I understand what you are saying about the "Experience"

I have seen YouTube Videos with Old Game Used Jerseys and 1909 T206 Wagners.

I am Excited to see Rare Stuff like that.

Seems like a TON of Fun.

But I DON'T want to come back without any Cards Either

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 06-21-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Rich Klein

And sometimes dealers will have material ready for you if they you look for certain cards.

Last year in Chicago, a dealer I know for many years and was a good Regional Correspondence when I was at Beckett knew I loved the Topps buy back cards. Well he loaded me up with about 1200 cards at such a good price I had my money out before he finished the sentence.

Regards
Rich
Old 06-21-2018, 03:41 PM
Val Kehl

Steve, I say this in all sincerity. If you consider yourself a serious vintage card collector, and I sense that you do, then you absolutely, positively must attend at least one National in your lifetime. As I see it, this is the only way you will get ALL of your questions answered to your satisfaction. And, besides, you will really enjoy the experience - I guarantee it! I note that you are in Michigan, and with most of the Nationals these years being held in Cleveland and Chicago, I assume you won't have nearly as long a journey to make as most other collectors do. FYI, I have attended 15-20 Nationals, and I still look forward to attending them like a kid looks forward to going to a toy store.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:42 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
I only buy Originals that are in the Original Style Flip (from the 1990's) with the Rounded Corners.

Just Common Cards.
- PSA 7 and PSA 8 From the 1940's and 1950's of Common Players
- 1909 T206 in PSA 1-7 of Common Players
- Stuff Like that
You need to try and get over the OCD on style of flip, and just focus on the cards inside. While I'm sure there will always be some in the old flips, certainly most of the Hall of Famers are probably in new flips by now. Consider those "bonus finds" - not requirements.

There are tons of T206 commons, several dealers where that will be most of what they have to sell. There will also be some 1940/1950 commons graded, but those will probably be a little tougher to locate. Again, you'll have some folks that have stacks of them.

Prices will normally be marked high, but if you're paying in cash and buying in somewhat bulk, you can usually get them down to reasonable. Everyone knows what VCP is, you'll just have to wade through all the "great eye appeal for the grade" talk.

Yes, some dealers try to bake in the table cost, but if you use the 10-12% eBay fee as the baseline, I've found most of the sellers will split that with you. For the sellers, if they can just get eBay price that's better, so don't just settle for it. Most dealers mark up to have room to wiggle.

Don't worry about all the deals being gone on Tuesday or to the VIPs. I do the VIP just because I'm usually there for a few days anyway and don't like to stand in line, but I've been to the past three Nationals (and three others before that) and every time I've found things at good prices at different times during the show. Two years ago, got my best deals halfway through Thursday. Last year I was shut out Wed/Thurs, but then ran out of money around noon Friday. You never know when you're going to find something, and new cards walk into the show every day.

It will be overwhelming, so just be ready for that. I usually have a list with prices so I can move quickly, ask questions when I see something and negotiate as quickly as I can if it's just buying. If the seller won't get in your range, just move on to the next table. If you spend even a minute at every table in the show, you won't see everything on the first day.

I also take notes of booth numbers, especially if something is priced a little too high. I'll go back later and if it's still there, I might then start a conversation.

If you see something you like that is priced fair, I would tell you to go ahead and buy it then because it probably won't be there later. Common cards that's probably not as true, but with stars/Hall of Famers it definitely has been my experience.

Good luck
Old 06-21-2018, 03:45 PM
Al Richter

Bring cash
Old 06-21-2018, 04:01 PM
James
James Kin.chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Bring cash
Yes, lots of cash. Bring more than you plan to spend. In Chicago the ATMs in the lobby ran out of cash Saturday. Some dealers will let you pay with Paypal.
James
Old 06-21-2018, 04:43 PM

Stop by and see my friend John Goodman for great deals on t206 cards. He will be set up. Tell him Scott from Long Island sent you .
Old 06-21-2018, 04:55 PM
Johnny MaZilli

T206 Guy

Just wing it ! Don’t do any further research on what to expect at the National. I believe it’s counter productive. Just show up, walk around, talk to guy’s, feel them out, learn as much as possible. If it looks to good to be true, 98% of the time it is. Above all else have fun :-) I have the most fun with zero preparation, I don’t want this to feel like work hahah.

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-21-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:19 PM

Here's a beginner's guide to the National:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight, a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for collectors who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced cards to show after show.

Also, do get together with other collectors & dealers. It's a great way to put some faces to the names of the Net54 members. People can be quite different face to face than they are on the forum.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy a whole lot. But, most of all, enjoy your experience !!!
Old 06-21-2018, 06:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Most stuff overpriced. But it’s cool being around your peeps. That’s the bottom line. Don’t look for bargains but you will see cool stuff and meet some nice people.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-21-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:30 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I'm worried if he goes that his head will explode.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Most stuff overpriced. But it’s cool being around your peeps. That’s the bottom line. Don’t look for bargains but you will see cool stuff and meet some nice people.
Somehow I doubt that the OP is one of my peeps, but I could be wrong.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I'm worried if he goes that his head will explode.
I've definitely set a record with fastest ignore list add today.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 PM
Tony

I went to the one in AC and had a blast. I saw the trimmed Wagner, held a Ruth bat, got interviewed by Topps. My kids participated in breaks, got a bunch of free stuff and were going crazy searching/buying out the .10 boxes by the boatload. Agree, some are there to sell and recover their expenses, others are to showcase their inventory. All in all, great time and well worth the admission, especially if your collector. Hopefully, I'll be there too. I heard the net54 dinner was really cool and maybe I'll be able to make it to one. Good Luck, temper your expectations and you will be very surprised.

{Leon, If I can't post other boards feel free to delete this line and everything below}

Below is a really good thread/topic on the blowout boards. Posted every year from April thru August. It contains a lot of info, dealer stories, etc and is a really good read/look through.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Last edited by cardsnstuff; 06-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:15 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Stop by and see my friend John Goodman for great deals on t206 cards. He will be set up. Tell him Scott from Long Island sent you .
I have seen him in some Videos.

I will stop by his Booth For Sure.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:19 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Here's a beginner's guide to the National:

My advice to first timers is to wear comfortable shoes, carry a large shoulder bag or a pack for your cash, want lists, top loads, plastic cases, and a small box for graded cards. Leave your coat/jacket/sweater in your car. it will be warm at the show. Bring a pen and a notebook to keep track of your purchases and to make a map of dealer booths so you can remember where you saw particular items. Don't pay the listed price for anything. Many times the dealers will offer you a discount before you ask for one. It doesn't hurt to ask for a larger discount that the one that they offer. If you are looking for specific items in specific grades, make a list of the prices that you are willing to pay. It is easy to overpay at the show. If you look hard enough you will find a few bargains, but it may take some time. Bring a small flashlight, a loupe, and a magnifying glass. Bring some $1 bills and $5 bills. It is surprising how many dealers don't have enough change.

When you see a card in a dealers showcase with no price, and you ask the dealer how much he wants for it, usually if he says, "hold on a minute, I'll look it up", you can count on the dealer asking for much more than it is worth. Generally he will be looking for collectors who are willing to overpay, or he really doesn't know how much it is worth and he is "fishing" to see what you will offer. It seems like some of the dealers don't like to acknowledge that you are looking at their cards, and that you may like to buy something from them. They are too busy eating, reading, or sorting their cards to look up and say "hi". It also seems that the dealers who do acknowledge you, talk to you, and ask you questions are the ones who are willing to be flexible on their prices. Some of the dealers are there to sell their cards and turn over their inventory, and some seem to bring the same overpriced cards to show after show.

Also, do get together with other collectors & dealers. It's a great way to put some faces to the names of the Net54 members. People can be quite different face to face than they are on the forum.

You will have a blast at the show even if you don't buy a whole lot. But, most of all, enjoy your experience !!!
Great Tips.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2018, 08:19 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
i'm worried if he goes that his head will explode.
lol
Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 PM
Steve

I sure Hope this is Not Like a Coin Show.

Which it sounds like

For those of you that don't know EVERYTHING is marked Up at Coin Shows.

And Everyone but Me Asks for a Deal.

I Hate the Deal Thing because I don't want to look like a Cheapskate.

At a Coin Show Half the Dealers Assume you Will Ask for a Deal Regardless if you ask or not so I Pick Some Coins and I Get a Discount Without Even Asking.

But Other Dealers just Take your money if you don't ask which I can't stand because I Don't Ask for Deals.

Just List What you want and stick to it.

It is Not Fair to Those of Us that Don't Beg for Deals.

We are Willing to Pay your Price and Don't Pester You but then You Rip Us Off.

Is that How This Show Will be (Like a Coin Show)?

Last edited by that T206 Guy; 06-21-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:15 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:

Which it sounds like

At a Coin Show Half the Dealers Assume you Will Ask for a Deal Regardless if you ask or not so I Pick Some Coins and I Get a Discount Without Even Asking.

But Other Dealers just Take your money if you don't ask which I can't stand because I Don't Ask for Deals.

No guts, no glory!!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:59 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:

Which it sounds like

Locally; I usually give a better deal to those that don't say anything. The ones that are more aggressive end up not buying much from me. But that's just me.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:02 AM
Robert Williams

I have never been, but the only reason I would remotely think about going is to get auto's. I am 100% sure the prices can not compete with Ebay/Auction Houses even with a 20% BP.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:47 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Good and Bad Buys are possible

There will be overpriced cards and there will be bargains. As is usually the case blanket statements are usually wrong. Simple math and common sense should tell you that with the sheer number of cards and dealers in the room there will be some cards underpriced and some cards overpriced. it is up to you to decide what you wish to buy and what you are willing to pay. To the op you should be able to find material you are looking for in the price range in which you are looking for it. Finding older PSA holders will not be easy but not impossible either. Its rather tough to find T206 in the older holders because many have been relabeled to get the back designations, which they didn't do back in the day. Good luck and have fun, to all who are going, see you there.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I have never been, but the only reason I would remotely think about going is to get auto's. I am 100% sure the prices can not compete with Ebay/Auction Houses even with a 20% BP.
Robert, I'm amazed that you can be 100% sure about something you've never experienced!

A number of the dealers at the National also sell on eBay. I've noticed that some of them have their cards priced at the show the same as their eBay BIN prices. Since they won't be paying eBay commissions, I have found most of them to be receptive to reducing their show prices to reflect this, when asked politely.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:40 AM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Robert, I'm amazed that you can be 100% sure about something you've never experienced!

A number of the dealers at the National also sell on eBay. I've noticed that some of them have their cards priced at the show the same as their eBay BIN prices. Since they won't be paying eBay commissions, I have found most of them to be receptive to reducing their show prices to reflect this, when asked politely.
+1

In the last three years of going to the National, for the cards I ended up buying I only paid the original asking price one time.

Every other time, I was able to get involved in a conversation with a friendly person, we did some price comparisons to eBay and VCP and got to a number we were both happy with.

It's not begging, it's just the way the game is usually played.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post

I know what you say is true Val, but it always amazes me. My total overhead on an ebay sales is roughly 15%. My total overhead on a show sale is MUCH higher. I have to cover the cost of, Gas, Hotel, Table Rent, Meals and other incidentals. Even at my best show ever that totaled a LOT more than 15%.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-22-2018, 11:11 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Once you've paid all those expenses, they're a sunk cost, right? So would you rather make a sale or not?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:25 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I know what you say is true Val, but it always amazes me. My total overhead on an ebay sales is roughly 15%. My total overhead on a show sale is MUCH higher. I have to cover the cost of, Gas, Hotel, Table Rent, Meals and other incidentals. Even at my best show ever that totaled a LOT more than 15%.
Great!

Now that I've thought about the cost of my gas, hotel, meals and other incidentals, the 20% buyers premium of an auction house seems like a bargain!