NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-25-2012, 07:59 PM

Default ? for 56 57 topps experts

I'm getting back into collecting for the 3rd time now. As I grow older I find myself to enjoy the older cards more now. Prob because I have the money to spend on em now... Anyways i'm looking for a set to start collecting. I really like the look of the 56 topps but at a card show this weekend a guy had a great starter set of 57 topps all very nice looking cards. He had 200 + of the set for 1k. I like the fact that it's a nice looking starter set and for my first set this may be the way to go. I'm the type of collecter that I want nice cards.. not the type that collects fuzzy corners just to say I have a set of blah blah. Anyone got any input to throw at me I'd appreciate it. The 57 set was selling at 1k booking at 2700 ish.
Thanks for ur time,
Steve
Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Al Richter

Default 56 & 57

Both great sets. The 57 is one of my favorites and my favorite of the 50s sets. Do you like the bigger cards of 52 to 56, or the smaller cards starting in 57 ?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Rick

Why choose one? I say dive into both... they're both classic sets. If you do choose, I think it comes down to your preference of photos vs. art or full stats vs. cartoons. Personally, I think the background art on '56 is hard to beat and the colors are a lot better compared with the photos. Also, if you're collecting high grade, '56 might be easier with fewer cards, no big rookies, and no tough series.

Whichever you choose the B/S/T section here is pretty helpful and much more pleasant to deal with than ebay.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the info. I prefer the 56 set myself. I like the colors and better looking cards to me. That being said .. with the seemingly good deal I found on the 57's it seems hard to pass up that starter set. If I do the 57 first I will do the 56 right after I finish the 57. Or maybe before
Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

PM sent about putting my 56 set together with some dupes available. Pretty cards, good choice.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM
David M.

1956's would be my choice. But my main advice, is to be sure that if you go for the starter set you're being offered, that it actually contains cards in a condition you will keep for your set. If you start the set and then start replacing the cards from the starter set, you won't have saved money but actually spent more. Yes, I've done it before.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Bi11..R0berts

If it was me I'd go for the '56 set. My favorite set, jsut I love the artwork on the cards. I'm one card shy of my '56 set and if you are looking for condition with nice centering there can be some tough cards.

My opinions on the '56 set aside, I would not go for the '57 set (or any other) just because you can acquire a large starter lot. Put together the one you really want the most and it will never feel like a chore.

Cheers!

Last edited by brob28; 09-26-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo