NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-21-2024, 03:27 PM

Default DiMaggio vs Mantle at card shows

I’m currently reading Morris Engelberg’s book about Joe DiMaggio and he says how great he was with the fans at card shows. That he took the time to look you in the eyes and say a few words before signing your item. He also says that Mantle didn’t do that and it was strictly business for him. Honestly I was under the impression that it was the opposite and that Mickey was much more friendly. What was your experience with those two legends ?
Old 04-21-2024, 04:28 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I have no idea what he is talking about. I was a dealer from 1978 to around 1992. I saw both of them 5-10 x per year during that time frame.

Dimaggio COULD be very nice, if he was in a good mood, but that was very sporadic. 2 stories exemplify how he could be. 1) At a show at the Ft Washington Motor Lodge(done recall the exact name) in 1982, I was a 16yr old who had 107 items to get signed. Most were for resale, but many were for pc. The promoter, Frank Garo, closed the door to the room while he signed my items. He chatted with me very cordially, as I asked him about Lou Gehrig. I left that room thinking he was the nicest guy. 2) At one Ed Keetz show, probably 1986ish, in Albany, Dimaggio actually wouldn't sign any more for me until I brought my collection binder up to his table and proved to him that I collect HOF yearbooks and would get the covers signed by HOFers. Below are photos of two of the items he stopped signing until I showed him the binder with the rest of them
Mantle, otoh, was fairly chatty, even when drunk. Now he wasn't always in a great mood, but more often than not, he would look at you and smile and chat a couple seconds. Also, he never signed a bad graph that I saw. He could be falling down drunk and still always chose the best spot to sign and his sig was always perfect.

Sent from my SM-F946U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 04-21-2024 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:59 PM
qualitycards

In the late '80's I went to a card show in Atlantic City
& got auto's from Joe Dimaggio & Ted Williams, both were great & chatted w/ me.
Saw Mickey at a show in NYC & he seemed that he wanted to be elsewhere.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:16 PM
Sean Brennan

That was the exact opposite in all my experiences. Dimaggio was very quiet and may look up at you but that was about it. Mantle was very pleasant and would sign whatever you wanted. I do remember that when I first got him around 1988, his price was slightly higher than everyone else (but still super low). I remember getting a book that shows his farthest home run picture and he even said he should add the HR distance
Old 04-21-2024, 07:15 PM
Brandon Bailey

That is how my experiences were with them, Joe D was pleasant, Mickey was rude, I just remember thinking I had to mow 2 lawns to get this jerks auto.
Everyone has bad days, but when you have great experiences it made me like those players much better. Brooks Robinson was the nicest most genuine athlete I have ever met, sadly I will always remember Mantle as a jerk. I have heard several bad stories about Willie Mays, but my 2 experiences with him were Great, so personal experience trumps all and you will probably hear lots in between.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:47 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I found Dimaggio to be a bit quiet but nice. Mickey was always nice and I still have a smile on my face from when I shook his hand. Mays, well, I had to get his auto 3 separate times and it pretty much ruined my collecting of him.
1955 Dodger Autographs...41/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete