NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-18-2012, 08:26 PM

Post Mantle auto ID

New member to the forum. Been doing some research and it seems there is a way to authenticate a Mantle auto. Why doesn't someone spill the beans or email me the beans. If this is verboten please let me know. Spread the word or is this some big secret of only the wise and elder. I wanna know.PLEASE
Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Perry Lin

There is no secret formula but here is a start:

1) Mantle signs in the most presentable location on the piece
2) there is always an upward slant with mantle higher than mickey
3) Ey is always a smaller size
4) Le has a slight downward angle change
5) Top part of c is constructed first, then doubled back to complete the circle

If you follow these rules, and then identify the look of the marino fakes, you're halfway there.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 AM

You can't email beans. You have to use regular mail.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
You can't email beans. You have to use regular mail.
Good one, David!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmechanic View Post
New member to the forum. Been doing some research and it seems there is a way to authenticate a Mantle auto. Why doesn't someone spill the beans or email me the beans. If this is verboten please let me know. Spread the word or is this some big secret of only the wise and elder. I wanna know.PLEASE
There are no shortcuts or magic tells. You need to train your eyes.

1 - look at hundreds of authentic exemplars. Look at them every day for a long time.

2 - do side by side comparisons with known fakes

3 - don't focus solely on "shape." Look at speed and pressure. They are just as important.

4 - look for a loose relaxed hand that intuitively and instinctively signed versus a tight hand "drawing" the signature with too much "thinking"
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I think they missed two of the most important part of Mantles signing habits. I would say 99 percent of real Mantles the M stands alone. Then he then signs ickey. The other one is the a is always larger than the n. I will repeat what has been said over and over again. If you do not know if it is real do not buy it.

Last edited by shelly; 12-19-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I would agree with everyone. If in doubt ask Isaac.
Isaac has more information on Mantle than PSA & JSA combined in just a short time!!!!!We love ya Isaac!!!

Seriously, there is so much on the internet to search for an authentic vs fake Mantle that if anyone's still buying fakes, they are COMPLETE IDIOTS....They lack understanding and must have learning disabilities which is half of the people who collect.

A few years ago, there wasn't much on the subject and you had to figure it out on your own. Now, there so are many samples and collectors everywhere willing to share. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink it.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
I think they missed two of the most important part of Mantles signing habits. I would say 99 percent of real Mantles the M stands alone. Then he then signs ickey. The other one is the a is always larger than the n. I will repeat what has been said over and over again. If you do not know if it is real do not buy it.
excellent point. I created a 10 point system for Mantle and if it doesn't meet all 10 criteria, I run like rabbit with thorn in paw...
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Isaac has more information on Mantle than PSA & JSA combined in just a short time!!!!!We love ya Isaac!!!

Seriously, there is so much on the internet to search for an authentic vs fake Mantle that if anyone's still buying fakes, they are COMPLETE IDIOTS....They lack understanding and must have learning disabilities which is half of the people who collect.

A few years ago, there wasn't much on the subject and you had to figure it out on your own. Now, there so are many samples and collectors everywhere willing to share. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink it.
Shelly edited that post to prevent the dig but Chuck grabbed it before, nice guys

It is true, over the last 2 weeks, I have gotten lots of information from 2 of the top Mantle experts on the forum. If anyone is interested in me regurgitating what I have learned, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks again guys!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Shelly edited that post to prevent the dig but Chuck grabbed it before, nice guys

It is true, over the last 2 weeks, I have gotten lots of information from 2 of the top Mantle experts on the forum. If anyone is interested in me regurgitating what I have learned, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks again guys!

Not a chance in Hell
Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Not a chance in Hell
and I'm far from an expert... any info ive given IS regurgitation , as you all well know.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 12-20-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
and I'm far from an expert... any info ive given IS regurgitation , as you all well know.
What Mick didn't show you first hand how he signs baseballs?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
FIRST ....Welcome to the board !
The good news is that there really is no "secret" to authenticating Mantle (or anyone else), The BAD news is you'll need to set aside a minimum of oh..maybe ten to twenty years of your life 10-15 hours a day (no holidays) and you'll then be able to get it right "most" of the time....
Happy Holidays everybody !
Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Jim, nice. Now the guy will be depressed for the next twenty years.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:43 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Jim, nice. Now the guy will be depressed for the next twenty years.
Its probably easier to learn how to fly a supersonic jet or be an astronaut or something.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 PM

Great, Thanks Jim.At that rate Alzheimer's will probably get me before I can do a Mantle. But I am not going to throw the towel in.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Great, Thanks Jim.At that rate Alzheimer's will probably get me before I can do a Mantle. But I am not going to throw the towel in.
Don't worry some of the most respected authenticators in the World have Alzheimers.....
Its actually a PLUS so don't throw in the towel, Anyway what I was saying is Don;t throw in the towel....wait ! did I just say that ? I'm repeating myself. Shucks ! what were we talking about ?