NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2013, 03:54 PM

Default Topps Xmas Packs

Hey Guys,

I am doing a blog for Heritage Auctions on the mystery of the Topps Christmas packs that have popped up throughout the years. I am compiling information and was wondering if any of you have theories on who made them or where/when they originated. Please include your full name, as I may use your post as a quote for the HA blog.
Heritage Auctions www.Sports.HA.com
ChrisN@HA.com
1-800-872-6467 X1615

Consign to auction at http://sports.ha.com/consign
Get a free Auction Evaluation or Formal Written Appraisal at http://sports.ha.com/appraise
find out what your sports memorabilia is worth at http://sports.ha.com/common/worth.php
Changing out "sports" for your subdomain (like "coins", "fineart", historical", etc. will make those links work for you.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Dan Bretta

Hunt auctions has been auctioning these off at the rate of about 5-10 per month for the last few years it seems...someone obviously found a hoard of these and has been slowly introducing them into the hobby. I'd like to know where these came from. The consignor of these may have your answer.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 12-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:15 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

There have been several posts on these...they are farces, fabricated well after the fact.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Al

My recollection of these was that a company purchased inventory from Topps considerably after the cards were produced, and packaged them into these Christmas packs. It's certainly possible to get star cards inside, but also possible to get EX condition (or worse) cards. One should not purchase these expecting mint or NM cards, nor should one purchase them thinking they're getting anything as scarce as an actual unopened pack from the manufacturer.

-Al
Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Dan Bretta

Anyone got a link to the discussions about these stockings? I'd like to read up on them. I have some 1977 Star Wars Topps packs that have only 4 cards in them, they are the wrong series, and there are no stickers in the packs. I came to learn that these were packaged for Halloween giveaways.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 PM

Here's a few. Searches showed a few others, but a lot of it is the same discussion. Al (aka bishop in the thread) gives a good summary in the first link...

Quote:
70s Fanatic---when Mark Murphy was first selling these exclusively, he and his business partner claimed the cards had been bought by a 3d party from Topps, repackaged in around 1982, and then sold in retail stores. He said the packs ran from 54 to 63. Later packs surfaced from 52 and 53. Now I have heard some exist for post 63. Murphy and his partner could not or would not say who the 3d party buyer was or which specific stores retailed them. I have had people say they remember them but they can not be very specific about where or when. Whatever they were originally, I don't think there is any doubt that someone else is continually recreating them today. So, not only are you not getting untouched Topps cards, but you may be getting 2nd, 3d or 4th generation repackages. But, it would be interesting if someone had first hand knowledge of how and when the first such packs came to be and where they were originally sold. A hobby mystery
thread on CU

Another

...and one more
Old 12-09-2013, 09:14 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I remember the Halloween packs in the very early 80's I think. Mostly non-sports cards like Jaws and Star Wars from what I recall. Funny, I just found a huge collection of the wrappers I saved as a kid from those.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Here's a few. Searches showed a few others, but a lot of it is the same discussion. Al (aka bishop in the thread) gives a good summary in the first link...

thread on CU

Another

...and one more
Thanks for the links Chuck. So I'm guessing that most pack collectors do not believe these are legit?

http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/im...17&lot_num=634