NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 PM

Default Need some help!

I have no idea about this item which a friend has contacted me on trying to find out any information. Supposedly, it originally belonged to grandmother who grew up and lived her entire life in the Chicago area and it is from the 1908 Chicago Cubs team. I think it is referred to as a pocket mirror?? I did some research from previous auctions and found several of these type examples from 1909 and 1910 but did not come up with any auction results regarding a 1908 one. Also, curious if there were reproductions ever made of these and if so--how to tell the difference and any guesses on value if in fact it is indeed the real deal or should I figure about the same as 1909/10 ones that have sold at auction in the past....thanks for any opinions from anyone who might know on these.

sicollector1954@charter.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cubs.jpg (55.5 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg cubs1.jpg (42.9 KB, 257 views)
Old 05-07-2013, 09:49 PM

If it is not a reproduction, it is very scarce and valuable. You will have to include some images of the reverse to tell.

Paul
Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 PM

Many Pre-War pins have rust and corrosion on back, especially on the needle, that give them away as antique.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 AM

Default Need some help

Apparently it is a mirror....Will get a picture of the back and then post. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM

It's safe to guess it's real. I've never heard of reproductions of the early baseball mirrors, and if there were reproductions you'd see them for sale often and the existence of reproductions would be well known. There's a big upfront production cost to making things in metal or plastic, and the only way to profit is to make lots of them (lower the cost per item). That's why you see those repro Ted Williams Root Beer signs all over the place. Also, a pocket mirror is a neat antique artifact, but isn't the type of thing that would be reproduced for modern mass consumption. Pins, buttons, pennants and tin signs sure, but most people on the market today would say "A baseball pocket-WHAT?!?!" Like trying to market baseball spats to the masses.

I would guess the team image side is celluloid, which was an old time plastic no longer used and often used for mirrors and buttons. It should feel and sound like plastic, maybe a bit like enamel. Celluloid was often ivory color as here, as it was commonly made to mimic ivory.

Last edited by drc; 05-08-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Default Need some help

Here is a picture of the other side....any idea on value or previous auctions that might have had one or is this a really rare piece and worth trying to purchase? Thanks for any further info...

sicollector1954@charter.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cubs2.jpg (49.6 KB, 142 views)
Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 AM

All the Pre-WWI MLB player and team pocket mirrors are rare and valuable, though I can't give a price. Definitely something worth acquiring.

The only conceivable concern would me if the mirror itself was replaced. I haven't seen the loop before. I've usually only seen the backs so don't know what the mirror ordinarily looks like. The totality is in as good of condition as you'll find. Celluloid often didn't age well, so high grade celluloid is prized with antique plastic item collectors.

Last edited by drc; 05-09-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Mike Kendall

I would guess this could bring $4000+ at one of the major auctions.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 AM

Default Need some help.

Thanks much for all of the info....does not appear that it is going to go anywhere at this time since it is supposedly a family heirloom but you never know and I will keep watching if it needs a new home in the future. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I have nothing to add other than that is a really nice piece. Good luck with it. Jason