NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

Fair enough, but I still think the market change is largely responsible for the price gap between these particular cards.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Fair enough, but I still think the market change is largely responsible for the price gap between these particular cards.
It is no coincidence that the highest sales for both PSA and SGC copies were in May-June 2016 when lots of postwar rookies were at their peak and have dropped a lot since then.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It is no coincidence that the highest sales for both PSA and SGC copies were in May-June 2016 when lots of postwar rookies were at their peak and have dropped a lot since then.
Exactly, so comparing a May SGC to a November PSA is not really comparing just based on the merits of the card.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:47 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I bought my sgc 5.5 1914 CJ Cobb for more than this psa 5 sold for (last public sale of a psa 5). Is that good enough for you? This is well over your made-up 10k threshold right? And since I'm not buying an sgc or a psa 7 mantle based on a dare from the forum-clown, you will have to take my word for it.
If you had read all the posts, you would know that the SGC Mantle at issue actually outsold that psa mantle, so it appears that a CARD collector actually did put their money where their mouth is.
the SGC was graded higher...lets see you buy a sgc 5 for what a psa 5 went in similar market conditions.....

i not daring anyone to buy anything....but talk is cheap and theres an awful lot of people saying what they would buy but not actually buying.....there are rare exceptions on every issue of course.... but easy to say and not actually buy. If something happens 9 out of 10 times in terms of price..id rather be on that side than the 1 out of 10 time if actually buying

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-30-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:15 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Yep. The .5 was the deal-breaker for me. Guilty as charged! Perry Mason strikes again.

Last edited by orly57; 07-30-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:36 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Yep. The .5 was the deal-breaker for me. Guilty as charged! Perry Mason strikes again.
Well if you were going to cherry pick one of the last 10,000 sales to prove a point not sure you would pick one that would not support your point. No one is saying that higher graded SGCs havent sold for similiar or more than lower graded psa graded cards. If the .5 doesnt matter, i will try that on the next ps a 5.5 1952 mantle and tell the guy to sell it at a psa 5 price since the .5 means nothing especially in $10,000+ card. Perry Mason strikes again..
Old 07-30-2017, 03:59 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I still think the exceptional centering and registration is the reason for the higher price on the Mantle not the timeframe of when it was sold.

The Mantle on the left sold for less than half the price at $104,000 on 5-1-16
while the one in question sold for $215,000 on 5-14-16 and I think this Mantle
would bring a higher price than a lot PSA 7's in the same auction.
Mantle SGC 84-7.jpg
Old 07-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Well if you were going to cherry pick one of the last 10,000 sales to prove a point not sure you would pick one that would not support your point. No one is saying that higher graded SGCs havent sold for similiar or more than lower graded psa graded cards. If the .5 doesnt matter, i will try that on the next ps a 5.5 1952 mantle and tell the guy to sell it at a psa 5 price since the .5 means nothing especially in $10,000+ card. Perry Mason strikes again..
I didn't cherry-pick an example, but rather, I used a recent example out of my own collection to show you that I do, in fact, put my money where my mouth is. If you can look at my sgc 5.5 compared side-by-side to that psa 5, and your best hypothesis as to why I paid more is because of a half-grade, then I have to question the logic in debating you at all. They say that arguing with fools is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are, the pigeon will just shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
I will tell you this: if both those CJs were at auction TODAY (and mine magically lost it's immensely important half grade), not only would I pay more for the sgc, but I wouldn't even bid on the Psa.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I still think the exceptional centering and registration is the reason for the higher price on the Mantle not the timeframe of when it was sold.

The Mantle on the left sold for less than half the price at $104,000 on 5-1-16
while the one in question sold for $215,000 on 5-14-16 and I think this Mantle
would bring a higher price than a lot PSA 7's in the same auction.
Attachment 282164
I would be shocked if the scans didn't have a lot to do with the apparent differences in color and registration. That scan on the right is radioactive for example. Obviously centering is what it is.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-30-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:37 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
I would be shocked if the scans didn't have a lot to do with the apparent differences in color and registration. That scan on the right is radioactive for example. Obviously centering is what it is.
I agree that the centering is the biggest factor Peter and the scan looks like
the colors have been enhanced but it still looks like better registration than
the other example, The same card sold four months later in a Heritage auction for $89,625.

Here are both of them with Heritage scans.
Mantle SGC 84-7.jpg
Old 07-30-2017, 05:39 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
the SGC was graded higher...lets see you buy a sgc 5 for what a psa 5 went in similar market conditions.....

i not daring anyone to buy anything....but talk is cheap and theres an awful lot of people saying what they would buy but not actually buying.....there are rare exceptions on every issue of course.... but easy to say and not actually buy. If something happens 9 out of 10 times in terms of price..id rather be on that side than the 1 out of 10 time if actually buying
So you buy the holder. Congrats. My view has always been why not buy the nicer, or even just equal quality, card graded by SGC and pay less money? Seems like a no-brainer but I collect on a fairly tight budget. If I was in the market for the Jackie's in the OP, I'd purchase the SGC for 20% less than the PSA every time

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 07-30-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

This should be a permanent sticky for anyone who doubts the power of scans and anyone glibly comparing cards based just on scans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (73.5 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (69.6 KB, 369 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-30-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Peter, the AH scan is all anyone has to go off when they are bidding at auction. That cuts both ways on psa and sgc-graded cards. You bring up a very serious issue about AH's using questionable scans. The SGC 7 mantle looks almost too good to be true, and may well be a product of that practice. But this string began with two cards from the same auction taken presumably with the same scanner. The premise of the post was to compare two equally graded cards, one by sgc and one by psa, and ask if the holder is more valuable than the card even when the SGC is clearly a nicer card.

Last edited by orly57; 07-30-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Peter, the AH scan is all anyone has to go off when they are bidding at auction. That cuts both ways on psa and sgc-graded cards. You bring up a very serious issue about AH's using questionable scans. The SGC 7 mantle looks almost too good to be true, and may well be a product of that practice. But this string begun with two cards from the same auction taken presumably with the same scanner. The premise of the post was to compare two equally graded cards, one by sgc and one by psa, and ask if the holder is more valuable than the card even when the SGC is clearly a nicer card.
Right, but the thread (like many) has evolved, I thought Patrick's scans presented an important opportunity to make a point, if a different one than the thread started with. I mean SO many times we see people here making judgments based on juxtaposing scans. "The one on the right has much better color and registration" blah blah. Well I could say that about the two I posted, couldn't I, other than the fact that they are the same card?

More critical thinking needed.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-30-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:03 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

My world has been turned upside-down. I am now critically thinking. I must now make personal visits to all AHs and hold it in-hand before bidding on a card. I can no longer buy on eBay. I can't even admire nice cards anymore, and must assume that Battlefield is now the staff photographer at Heritage. I see the light now. I just wonder how this board can go on if we can't discuss images of cards.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

There you go.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:23 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
This should be a permanent sticky for anyone who doubts the power of scans and anyone glibly comparing cards based just on scans.
Wow, what a difference!
Old 07-30-2017, 08:44 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
My world has been turned upside-down. I am now critically thinking. I must now make personal visits to all AHs and hold it in-hand before bidding on a card. I can no longer buy on eBay. I can't even admire nice cards anymore, and must assume that Battlefield is now the staff photographer at Heritage. I see the light now. I just wonder how this board can go on if we can't discuss images of cards.
Despite the sarcasm a trip to an AH office might not be a bad idea before dropping a couple hundred grand on a card.

As for the 52 Mantles in this discussion the improved color in the heritage scan may have played a role, but I believe the centering difference alone is enough to justify the difference in price.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:26 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Guess it's time for a trip to a live auction
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-31-2017, 07:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Despite the sarcasm a trip to an AH office might not be a bad idea before dropping a couple hundred grand on a card.

As for the 52 Mantles in this discussion the improved color in the heritage scan may have played a role, but I believe the centering difference alone is enough to justify the difference in price.
I had that discussion (scans) with Heritage at the National. The way they do scans of cards isn't with a scanner. It is with a camera. Any difference in colors is not intentional....and I am as cynical as the next guy but trust me, I doubt any good AH is doctoring scans in today's age. And I don't think I am too naive....but please keep going...it's interesting.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:41 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Confession

I must admit that in my "Diminutive Surface Scuffing" thread that I did "doctor" the scans of the 55 Topps cards to make it easier for the naive among us to see the presumed defects. I suppose that some would argue that all my scans are "Doctored", but for the aforementioned thread I used SET (Scuff Enhancement Technology). So there , now I feel better.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:25 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I must admit that in my "Diminutive Surface Scuffing" thread that I did "doctor" the scans of the 55 Topps cards to make it easier for the naive among us to see the presumed defects. I suppose that some would argue that all my scans are "Doctored", but for the aforementioned thread I used SET (Scuff Enhancement Technology). So there , now I feel better.
Frank, I was more concerned with Brian's Hornsby card. It was in an SGC 2 holder in the Spring '14 REA auction, and recently appeared in a psa 9 holder. Obviously it has been doctored, though it may just be the scans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2EA969D-E1A7-465A-A02F-EF53EBA0BDF3.jpg (62.2 KB, 399 views)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I had that discussion (scans) with Heritage at the National. The way they do scans of cards isn't with a scanner. It is with a camera. Any difference in colors is not intentional....and I am as cynical as the next guy but trust me, I doubt any good AH is doctoring scans in today's age. And I don't think I am too naive....but please keep going...it's interesting.

The issue isn't scans versus pictures, obviously, as both can be adjusted. Intentional or not, it's hard for me to believe the hobby's biggest AH is not aware of the character of their pictures and the fact that they are relatively, shall we say, bright.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

On the subject of 52T Mantle colors, what up with this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (77.2 KB, 349 views)

Old 08-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

If that card weren't in a holder, I would bet a thousand bucks it is fake. But since it's in a bvg holder, I would only bet $500.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:29 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Sgc was behind by 50% yesterday, but just passed the PSA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04E6E004-43CF-43F8-81A0-80878FF50471.jpg (66.1 KB, 317 views)
Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
If that card weren't in a holder, I would bet a thousand bucks it is fake. But since it's in a bvg holder, I would only bet $500.
I have never seen a fake card in a BVG holder.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I was joking Leon.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Sgc was behind by 50% yesterday, but just passed the PSA.
Maybe the quality card will win out. I saw both at the national and it was clear the sgc card was a lot nicer. Not that it's not from the scan. But my initial prediction could be wrong if potential bidders got a chance to see both in person over the weekend.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:12 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

The SGC card now leads by just over 15%. I'm thinking that'll hold, as long as we're making predictions.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Frank, I was more concerned with Brian's Hornsby card. It was in an SGC 2 holder in the Spring '14 REA auction, and recently appeared in a psa 9 holder. Obviously it has been doctored, though it may just be the scans.
I have cracked it out of the PSA9 holder and am about to resubmit. Crossing my fingers for a PSA10 grade. After what I like to call a bit of card manipulation, I might just have a shot.

Brian (better late than Ernie Nevers)
Old 08-10-2017, 12:09 PM

I join you all in asserting the superiority of the SGC 96 Jackie. I just cannot fathom why PSA would award a card with such a large, ugly fish-eye a MINT 9. They're totally wrong. At the very least, the label should have their qualifier for a print spot. Without taking another gander, even if the PSA Jackie has perfect centering, perfect print registry, strong color, and no other print spots, when I look at that card, my eyes go to "fish-eye" sore. The SGC 96 looks regal and presents perfectly.

Anyone bidding on the PSA crumb bum is obviously buying the holder, 'cause when the time comes and they open up their "new prized card", the fish-eye is gonna start winking at them with all its might. Regret is a powerful emotion, and they're going to get quite a dose of buyer's remorse.

---Brian Powell
Old 08-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
I join you all in asserting the superiority of the SGC 96 Jackie. I just cannot fathom why PSA would award a card with such a large, ugly fish-eye a MINT 9. They're totally wrong. At the very least, the label should have their qualifier for a print spot. Without taking another gander, even if the PSA Jackie has perfect centering, perfect print registry, strong color, and no other print spots, when I look at that card, my eyes go to "fish-eye" sore. The SGC 96 looks regal and presents perfectly.

Anyone bidding on the PSA crumb bum is obviously buying the holder, 'cause when the time comes and they open up their "new prized card", the fish-eye is gonna start winking at them with all its might. Regret is a powerful emotion, and they're going to get quite a dose of buyer's remorse.

---Brian Powell
I visited Memory Lane this last week and the PSA 9 Jackie Robinson is much nicer than it appears in the catalog or website. The borders are whiter and the color is much more vivid in person. The corners are also extremely sharp. Sure, it has the print mark, but other than that, it's a pretty spectacular card.

Last edited by MW1; 08-10-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Jay Cee

Clarity isn't that good, light strike and an obvious print dot (defect) in the card but because the corners are sharp and borders are white it's still OK to slab it a 9. Grades of 9 and 10 should be for special cards that do not have any issues IMO. Will also add if any no named collector submitted that card it gets a 7 "SEVEN" all day long and they would be happy with it to being accurately graded.

Would love to know who the consignor was of the card?

Last edited by BeanTown; 08-10-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

With a relatively major print flaw that detracts/distracts that much from the appearance, it should not be a 9. I wouldn't object to an 8, but still, that's not a 9. As a cynic, I too wonder who submitted it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-10-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
These two cards are up for auction on Memory Lane. As of right now, the PSA 9 is Edging out the SGC by about 10%. In my mind, the SGC example BLOWS AWAY the PSA by any measure (most notably the registration, the whiter borders, and that awful print-Mark). I am extremely interested to see which carries the day: the card or the holder.
Assuming they were scanned in the same manner, there is no comparison here. If you couldn't see who graded it, the SGC card would far outsell the PSA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2D72BF7A-E18E-4B7A-9826-828DD74C1A59.jpg (67.0 KB, 434 views)

Last edited by JeremyW; 08-10-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:21 AM
Jerry

WOW! The SGC example is over $91K while the PSA is at $39K.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:18 AM
Glyn Parson

The Jackie looks like it was graded many years ago by the serial number. Back then even with the print dot a 9 was not shocking and from the looks and Mike's description I would have probably expected a 9 from 1992-2007. And before people scream that the standards should not change I agree but all three have tightened up in one way or another over the years in my opinion.

Last edited by glynparson; 08-13-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:54 AM

Wow - strong sale on the JR SGC, but beautiful card...glad to see the market forces work as they should, someone buying the card, not the holder

I believe SGC has also graded two other high-end copies of the 1949 Bowman Jackie, one 98 and another 96. Curious what that SGC 98 might fetch.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Frank Evanov

Default Jackie

A 1/8 inch piece of ink caused a $62,000 price difference! Amazing.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantlefan View Post
A 1/8 inch piece of ink caused a $62,000 price difference! Amazing.
Welcome to the world of disposable income.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Welcome to the world of disposable income.
Just think what's going to happen when they learn about prewar cards. Once they stop paying for holders and start paying for rarity where POP matters then we are all in trouble.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Rennie
Re.ne Gal.letti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
Assuming they were scanned in the same manner, there is no comparison here. If you couldn't see who graded it, the SGC card would far outsell the PSA.
The SGC card is nicer than the PSA but SGC got it wrong when calling this a "rookie"
Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Just think what's going to happen when they learn about prewar cards. Once they stop paying for holders and start paying for rarity where POP matters then we are all in trouble.
Or can retire.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWG View Post
The SGC card is nicer than the PSA but SGC got it wrong when calling this a "rookie"
What do you think is his rookie? The hobby has always considered the 1949 Bowman and 1949 Leaf cards as Robinson's rookie cards.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

There's plenty to choose from, but I like the 1947 D302 portrait.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Rennie
Re.ne Gal.letti

Quote:
What do you think is his rookie? The hobby has always considered the 1949 Bowman and 1949 Leaf cards as Robinson's rookie cards.
Didn't the 1948 Leaf card appear first? Many also consider the 1947 Bond Breads.

Last edited by WWG; 08-14-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWG View Post
Didn't the 1948 Leaf card appear first? Many also consider the 1947 Bond Bread.
The Leaf cards came out in 1949, not 1948.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:30 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
The Leaf cards came out in 1949, not 1948.
Still the Leaf cards of equal grade go for more than the bowman. i guess its the prime rookie card is leaf....
Old 08-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Gobucsmagic74

I think the question of which of Jackie's cards is his true RC is an intriguing question worthy of debate. There's been a ton of research that has taken place by board members discussing the issue and to me it's either the 1947 Bond Bread Robinson portrait (white border) with facsimile auto, which I think most agree was a promo card or the 1947 D302 Bond Bread with cropped corners. There's absolutely no question both of these (along with the white bordered 12-card Jackie set) pre-date both the 1948 Leaf (actually produced in 1949) and the 1949 Bowman, but I don't think a consensus has been reached to date regarding which was Jackie's absolute first card. Pretty amazing considering the player and his impact on modern day sports and civil rights, much less baseball.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 08-14-2017 at 02:44 PM.