NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 PM
ErikV

Default PM feature not working?

Is anybody else having issues with the PM feature? I usually get an email
with a notification and content of all PM I receive. Since I cleared out some
older PM last night, I've stopped receiving these emails.

As soon as I go to the Net54 website, I get popups advising that I have a
PM.

Any ideas what's going on, or how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

ErikV
Old 07-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikV View Post
Is anybody else having issues with the PM feature? I usually get an email
with a notification and content of all PM I receive. Since I cleared out some
older PM last night, I've stopped receiving these emails.

As soon as I go to the Net54 website, I get popups advising that I have a
PM.

Any ideas what's going on, or how to fix this issue?

Thanks,

ErikV
I am guessing you have a PM? I am not aware of any issues with the system currently. Not that this is your situation but members should always make sure they don't reply to PMs by email. They need to go back to the board and answer the PM. If anyone is having PM issues please let us know.

Last edited by Leon; 07-17-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Brock

I've had the same problem. It has stopped sending me emails letting me know someone PM me.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I've had the same problem. It has stopped sending me emails letting me know someone PM me.
It could actually be a server issue. I don't think I use that feature, but I know almost everyone does, so I don't know when it's happening. I will put in a help ticket.....
Old 07-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Zach

I don't know if you've already checked this but if you haven't...

Go to 'User CP'

Under 'Settings & Options' click 'Edit Options'

Under 'Private Messaging' make sure that the box is checked next to 'Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages'
Old 07-17-2014, 02:30 PM
ErikV

Default Re: PM feature not working?

Thanks for all the responses.

Zach,

I checked my setting. The box "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages" does have a check next to it.

Any other suggestion?

ErikV
Old 07-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Bill Gregory

I have the forum and my email open in the same browser (different tabs). I got a popup here from a message, and when I tabbed over to my email, I got a message telling me I had a new message on the forum.

So, it's not a system wide issue, Leon.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Bill Gregory

I'm trying to think of this from a database perspective. Are any of you guys who are not receiving notifications of new private messages coming close to maxing out your box at 250 messages?

I'd suggest following the steps provided a couple of minutes ago, and toggle the "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages" to off, and save. Then, go back in and recheck that box, and save again. Once you've done that, ask somebody to send you a message to see if it's fixed.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Bill Gregory

The old tech support guy in me is really perplexed right now.

Anybody having this same issue, try this. Go to your email to make sure these notifications aren't being treated like spam. Go to your spam preferences (they're different in each e-mail provider. I have mine through my web host). But add *@net54baseball.com, or just leon@net54baseball.com to your white list, which might be called approved email list, or something similar. That should allow any mail originating from the site to go into your inbox.

You guys might try archiving your messages. I use vBulletin PM reader:

download here.

Go to your message box here on Net54. Checkmark the little box atop your messages count on the far right, and then do the same to your sent messages list. That should checkmark every message.

Go down to selected messages, and choose to download as XML. The first time you use the program, it's going to ask if you want to create a database. Obviously you do. Once that's done, select the 'import xml file' option in the top left of the pm reader. Locate the file you just downloaded and open it. All the messages you downloaded should now be there. They're split into inbox and sent items like the forum. Delete that xml file you downloaded, it's now part of the database. You can do that again later, too. Just repeat the process, and select to import the new xml file you create. It will import the new messages into the existing database.

Once you've confirmed that the messages you're wanting to keep have been correctly loaded into the database for your reader, don't forget to go back and delete the messages, which will still be on the forum. Instead of downloading them as an XML file, just delete them.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I want to thank you for this. I usually have over 200 PMs (out of 250) at any given time. I have to go through every now and then to pick which ones I want to delete and which to save. I like to go back if I have a question about how much I sold or bought something for, or who I got something from, etc. Now I don't have to worry about that anymore!

Last edited by ZachS; 07-18-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
The old tech support guy in me is really perplexed right now.

Anybody having this same issue, try this. Go to your email to make sure these notifications aren't being treated like spam. Go to your spam preferences (they're different in each e-mail provider. I have mine through my web host). But add *@net54baseball.com, or just leon@net54baseball.com to your white list, which might be called approved email list, or something similar. That should allow any mail originating from the site to go into your inbox.

download here.

Go to your message box here on Net54. Checkmark the little box atop your messages count on the far right, and then do the same to your sent messages list. That should checkmark every message.

Go down to selected messages, and choose to download as XML. The first time you use the program, it's going to ask if you want to create a database. Obviously you do. Once that's done, select the 'import xml file' option in the top left of the pm reader. Locate the file you just downloaded and open it. All the messages you downloaded should now be there. They're split into inbox and sent items like the forum. Delete that xml file you downloaded, it's now part of the database. You can do that again later, too. Just repeat the process, and select to import the new xml file you create. It will import the new messages into the existing database.

Once you've confirmed that the messages you're wanting to keep have been correctly loaded into the database for your reader, don't forget to go back and delete the messages, which will still be on the forum. Instead of downloading them as an XML file, just delete them.
Thanks for helping, Bill. Very nice of you...
Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM
ErikV

Default Re: PM feature not working?

I wanted to give Bill a shout out. Somehow all of my PM were being filtered to my
spam folder. Thanks for looking into this and for giving me a hand with this, Bill.

ErikV