NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Default undervalued cards?

Posted By: scott

with the explosion of the caramel card market ,what other types of cards do you feel are undervalued?does the 18th century cards share the same potential as caramels?do goudeys have that potential?
thanks,
scott

Old 06-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott

oops i meant 19th century!

Old 06-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I don't think Goudeys have the potential of going sky high simply because of the number of the available on the market. Even though they are still caramel I think that the 1920's american caramel and such will continue to rise as people I think are just now starting to really collect them. Even though this sounds strange I think the strip card market will rise as well - but I have nothing to back that up.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you.

Not sure too many people are going to divulge too much info here, because they are probably currently buying the stuff they think is "undervalued". I will venture to say that PSA/SGC 8-10 cards are NOT "undervalued", but that is just my opinion.
-Rhett

Old 06-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

In the last Mastro auction, they had several lots of PSA 7s, 8s and other mixed grades. In general, they sold for about 40% over SMR (after including the buyer's fee). So it may be too late to get into Goudeys if you are looking to make a quick buck. Unfortunately for me, its too late.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard LLOYD

Regional and food cards are significently under priced and over the last several years Krause(Lemkee) has shifted there prices UP UP!!!.. In many cases these cards are near impossible to find, for the simple fact they were attached to a food products or a give away at a minor league game durning the 1940's-60's.. For example, I am currently in the process of writing an article about Spokane Indians Darigold Farm cards attacked to milk cartons...I found out the volume of milk produced and found that there were only about 2400 cards made of each player ... Now,the number of That cards survived over 40+ years is probably several hundard at most. Tis is just one example of many regional food issues...

If you want to know more about regional food cards I have written an artice about regional food cards for SCD weekly magazine and it should be out any time in June. maybe today??
Best
Dick
PS: Right TS !!

Old 06-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

strip cards have already been making a strong a move. Used to be you could pick up a nice Ruth or Cobb for under $100. Those days are long gone. And Joe Jax under $200 in nice shape is nothing but a pipedream now. They will pretty much be like caramel cards with a snowball effect of slowing building up steam over 3-5 years then getting to the point where it is today. You won't see strip cards command the prices caramel cards do, but they will keep going up for the foreseeable future.

30s caramel cards was an area I used to pick up a lot baragins, but those have pretty much dried up too. There really aren't any segments that aren't scoured for good deals. Hell, even MP&Co cards pulling silly prices and those are the last cards I'd expect to start going up in price.

Jay

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I always thought there was no way that game cards could catch up with regular baseball cards--after all, they came in PACKS, not singly. But Fan Craze are getting very expensive, and I have never actually held a WG1 in my hands...
Generic cards, although they get a little more expensive every year, SHOULDN'T ever catch up, because they aren't of particluar players...but who'll rush out and buy one?

(E and R Williams game card, 1889, Anson and Ewing; Fan Craze Waddell and Plank; 1884 Lawson's catcher; 1936 (Americam Game?) Waner).

Oh, I just did (R and S Chicago, 1889).

Seriously, off the subject of game cards and generics, does the original poster in this thread think Old Judges, Mayos, Goodwin Champions, Peck and Snyders, Jos. Halls, Just Sos, etc--are CHEAP?

Old 06-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

I've always thought the Tom Barker and National Game cards were a great buy and look great.

Old 06-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

BCD, you had better sell me yours before it is worthless. This is one time I will buy the holder and not the overgraded card!

Old 06-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Of course, any Joe is expensive--but this is about as cheap as they get.

Old 06-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

I agree with Anson and Julie, game cards will have their time in the sun, as will any decent appearing era piece showcasing a name like Cobb, Johnson, Lajoie, Speaker, Mathewson, Young, etc.

Oldcardboard made in New Orleans will also have its time, I think it's just a matter of time before The Big Easy is 6 feet under(with a direct hit from a hurricane) putting the city in the spotlight(or floodlight) for a bit.

T202's--the coolest cards at the best prices(you can still find a VG+ mathewson for under $200).

Old 06-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

IMHO Exhibits and DoublePlays are undervalued. So are w517s, Batter Ups, and lots of individual cards which are far less common than generally realized.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The exhibit thing is great right now; at least let me finish my sets before you run them up too.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

What should drive the market price is demand. To me, demand is usually a function of how popular the series of cards is to the collectors. If there is no interest then the demand will remain low and so will prices. Something to consider is that as more and more of the tougher (or more popular) sets become pricey then collectors will probably migrate to cards that were aesthetically less desireable (cheaper) to them to begin with and then the prices of those cards will begin to increase to reflect the new interest in those sets.

I suppose that a speculation feeding frenzy could create a temporary market for certain cards but if there is no further interest in the set then the prices will decrease accordingly. If you were a speculator in those cards and spent a lot of money "hoarding" them then you better be happy with what you purchased because you just might not be able to recoup your "investment" if the interest in that set drops and people don't want them anymore.

I buy what I like. Here's an example - I don't really care for the E107 series of cards so I don't buy them. I don't care how much people think they are worth, I just don't like the way they look. It doesn't mean I would turn one down at a cheap price because I know I could sell it and then use the money to buy something I do enjoy.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

IMO, 1950's-1960's cards will ALWAYS be undervalued.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 06-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Adam, 50s and 60s cards were the first segment of the hobby to become overvalued and market is probably still correcting itself from the craziness of the 80s.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Administrator

I happen not to like many of the popular cards so I buy them when I see them for good prices and always look to flip them. I also happen to like 1950s-1970s cards, so if the market on those is correcting, hooray for me. I can finally go after my sets at decent prices.

Old 06-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

I respect your opinion Jay. But here's an example: You can pick up a 1954 Topps Hank Aaaron rookie card in vg for about $325-350. You can pick up a 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax rookie card in vg for about 150-175, and a 1955 Topps Harmon Killebrew rookie card for about 100. ALL COMPLETELY UNDERVALUED IF YOU ASK ME! CONSIDERING THE ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF THESE GREAT STARS.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 06-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Sounds about right for those cards. They are not particularily tough to find. Granted, Aaron doesn't seem to get his proper due, but to me Kaufax is one of the most overhyped players ever. Now card #201, Sherm Lollar, is propably undervalued. It's is by far the toughest card in the set. I only know this because the 55 set was the first set of cards I put together that was not from my childhood. Berra also seemed to be tough for me too.

Jay

Old 06-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Administrator

and want to sell

Old 06-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

Thought I would list this set for everyone, since I sold my Walter Johnson and am no longer interested in buying any more cards from this set myself. These are one of the tougher 1920's caramel issues. Just make sure when you buy one in a PSA holder that it does have the little gray box at the bottom of the card with the player's info in it. I have seen E121's labeled as E122's and E122's labeled as E121's in PSA holders (sometimes with the later, you can get a good deal).

Also, National Caramels and E126's are good deals - both much scarcer than the E120's and E121's from the Roaring 20's!

Old 06-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

For a complete list of undervalued Pre-War cards please see the latest SCD or Beckett yearly price guide.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

What they sell for is a better benchmark for what they're worth. There isn't a guide out there that comes anywhere close. Otherwise, I would be done with my E101 set already. Which, by the way, is extremely undervalued if you consider that there are less graded examples of every HOFer compared to the T206 Wagner.

Old 06-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Most undervalued--low pop commons in psa 8 or psa 9 from most popular vintage sets,

T205,T206,33 Goudey,34 Goudey,34-36 Diamond Stars, 33 Goudey Sport Kings, 48 Bowman, 51 Bowman, 52 Topps, 53 Bowman Color, 55 Topps.

Dav

Old 06-12-2005, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I agree, the '54 Aaron rookie is undervalued. I never understood why it was not in the same ballpark with the Mantle and Mays rookies.
Also, relatively speaking, I think the T206 Cobb with Cobb back is undervalued.
JimB

Old 06-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD