NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Casey

Default Fake Ty Cobb

Hi all. Don't know if this useful for bad exemplars, but here is a fake Ty Cobb. I bought it in 98 at a show in Dallas. It used to be greenish, but has since faded. I studied his signature and thought I had it right. Displayed it for years.
A few years ago I decided to get some opinions. P.A.A.S struggled but eventually came back no. PSA took lots of extra time, but also came back no. I knew Wayne Stivers (a UACC contact) take a look and he eventually said no. - with certainty
So, I put it away in my closet for years. I know it's fake now.
Thoughts on what I missed? It bugged me because I spent so much time on his auto, and still got it wrong.
Thanks, Casey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15447995899448513642.jpg (70.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 AM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case12 View Post
Hi all. Don't know if this useful for bad exemplars, but here is a fake Ty Cobb. I bought it in 98 at a show in Dallas. It used to be greenish, but has since faded. I studied his signature and thought I had it right. Displayed it for years.
A few years ago I decided to get some opinions. P.A.A.S struggled but eventually came back no. PSA took lots of extra time, but also came back no. I knew Wayne Stivers (a UACC contact) take a look and he eventually said no. - with certainty
So, I put it away in my closet for years. I know it's fake now.
Thoughts on what I missed? It bugged me because I spent so much time on his auto, and still got it wrong.
Thanks, Casey
The paraph is wrong. That's the first thing that jumped out at me.

Fun fact: Paraphs were usually added to signatures in the old days in order to prevent forgeries.

Last edited by SetBuilder; 12-14-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
The paraph is wrong. That's the first thing that jumped out at me.

Fun fact: Paraphs were usually added to signatures in the old days in order to prevent forgeries.
Interesting. I will look at that now. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Casey

Up then down and over is wrong - should be down then up and over. Is that what you are thinking? (That's seems to be what I saw in most exemplars...and hallofshame article)
Old 12-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case12 View Post
Up then down and over is wrong - should be down then up and over. Is that what you are thinking? (That's seems to be what I saw in most exemplars...and hallofshame article)
Cobb had multiple versions. 99% of all authentic examples will have one of these types (see image).

You have to try to understand what Cobb was trying to do. He finished the last "b" and swung the pen out to the right for a quick moment to gain momentum for the leftward sweep that went out past the "T" in Ty (sometimes by a lot). He would then break hard back to the right in a quick, sudden motion. Then he would finish it by meeting the line in the middle with a curl and almost always two dots. He probably did this motion 500,000 times in his life, who knows...Muscle memory is strong.

Yours goes left and loops in a rounded manner that I've never seen in a Cobb signature. The ending then disappears somewhere near the center going towards the letters in the signature. Again, that is extremely atypical. The ending of Cobb also goes straight down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobbparaph.jpg (49.8 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by SetBuilder; 12-14-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:43 PM
Bob Davies

Wow Manny. Thank You!!!

So informative to us neophytes. Appreciate the effort in explaining things like this.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Casey

Intriguing. I have missed the importance of flow and intent. I read a lot about graphology in my early days, and took a more scientific view. Height, slant, gap, pressure...when looking at many signatures (and with fewer exemplars than these days on the internet.) I actually did what you said with my hand and can feel the difference from the fake one. Learning feel and intent of the original signer must take a lot of practice!!!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Casey

And feel/intent of each move of the signature adding many to learn..