NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-31-2002, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Default What is the dope on Mike Wheat?

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Seems to me I used to get his catalogues, but don't anymore. However, he's flooded the early card market on EBay--T202s, lots of Old Judges, etc. mw cards.

Is he a good seller or not? Doesn't seem to be getting many bids.

Old 12-31-2002, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

He just dumps everything on ebay when they have free listing day. He has something in his software that'll pump it all over to ebay which is pretty smart. His prices are generally on the high side but he does have a pretty good selection of stuff that isn't all that easy to find. He doesn't really deal in graded stuff, so always scrutinize any older cards for trimming/etc. Fulfillment of orders is always top notch.

Old 12-31-2002, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

They are excellent in service. They usually mention when nice or very desirable cards are trimmed, be careful on lower graded cards to satisfy yourself that they aren't trimmed and be sure and ask about the backs, sometimes back damage is not mentioned. His prices are high but occasionally you can find a lower graded card and get a bargain.

Old 12-31-2002, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 01-01-2003, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Verrill

I have purchased many, many cards from Mike - no complaints. Sure - his prices can often be on the high side, and he tends to overgrade by one-half to one full grade - but, he's a straight shooter. He does a couple of things I appreciate. First - he has scans of practically everything he sells. Why doesn't everyone do that? It seems to me like it should be a given. See what you're buying. He's good that way. Second, if you buy alot of cards from him, he'll offer a discount. Not a big one - but, it's an incentive for a buyer to come back. That's a smart business approach, and it creates a positive customer service perception. Third - and this is important, I think - he's smart enough to know when it's time to just let a card go. Most "dealers" won't do that. They want to hold it until that opportunity a decade from now when some unbeknownst buyer will pay triple the true value. Mike doesn't do that. He hates to keep cards sitting around. That's good business sense in a lot of ways. Mostly, it makes sense to sell for less than the profit you anticipated - because it frees up capital. Also, though - by doing so, it makes possible the acquisition of new card stock - which gives the perception you always have new inventory ("rolling").

Anyway - I don't want to plug his business too much here - but, when you see someone doing something the right way, I think its worth noting. People are certainly quick to comment when folks make mistakes! It should work both ways.

He also takes credit cards - which I like.

Just my personal take.

JV

Old 01-01-2003, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have had one dealing with Mr. Wheat. I have never met him in person, or had any other dealings with him, so maybe mine is the anomoly. I bought a nm-nmt T205 Cobb on ebay from Norm Showers about 3 years ago. It was ungraded and was pristine. I was too new to the hobby to have seen the red flags on this type of card. The card did not meet reserve and I ended up making a deal, offline, for $3550.00. I originally told Norm I wasn't sending it in to be graded and he was very happy. We had numerous discussions about that. As the card was enroute I emailed Norm and told him I had changed my mind and was going to send it in immediately upon receipt. This was 4x more than I had ever paid for a card at the time and I wanted some assurance it was a good card. The card came back trimmed AND altered. Not one or the other but both. Norm and I worked out a swap for about 50 cards for the Cobby return to him. I still have most of all of those cards in my collection. He was pretty cool about the whole thing. About 3 months or so later I saw the card on Wheats website. It was the exact card folks. I remember it like because it is my belief that vintage cards are like fingerprints. IT has a small blemish on the otherwise perfect bottom border. It was absolutely unmistakable. Period. The card on his website was listed at about 3k. I emailed Mike and told him that I knew this card all too well and I was positive it was trimmed AND altered, according to PSA. He told me I didn't know anything and to mind my own business. The card remained on his site as far as I am aware......that's the real story on this one instance...and BTW, this story was all too familiar with one other board member whom also knows the whole history of the card.....caveat emptor and best regards

Old 01-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

My experience with Mike has been good. He is a pleasure to deal with, always ships promptly, and if there is ever a problem works quickly to resolve it.

Old 01-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

I've bought 3 items from Mike Wheat, including one T207 and a T222. The T222 in particular was a nice buy, since I didn't want the so-so T200's it was bundled with in Lew Lipset's last auction.

My one (small) carp is over an E90-3 that I won on eBay earlier this year. I using a sniping provider to place a bid and only found out after the auction ended that the description had been amended to "trimmed". C'est la vie, although I wish they had caught it before listing the item.

Leon's account is troublesome, however - grading companies have their problems, but snubbing a buyer after the fact does not inspire confidence.

Old 01-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Drum

I have bought cards from Mike since 1988 when he was partners in "Doubleheaders" with Wayne Varner who now has Shoebox Cards. I have always found Mike to be very easy to deal with and his selection is normally outstanding. The prices are on the high end of the normal range and I agree with the assessment that the cards are normally graded a half grade higher than I would grade them but grading is subjective. I would recommend Mike as a resource to any collector.

Old 01-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Hey Folks,
I want to make sure ya'll know that this was my only dealing with him or his company. There are other individuals that would corroborate (sp?) my story but I have no reason to lie. It is obvious that almost all other folks have had great dealings with him and his company. That is wonderful. I certainly would not make something public on this board (as I have learned) that was not first hand knowledge. Mike is probably a great person and a great dealer. My story stands......best regards all

Old 01-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

I would generally concur with Jay's positive remarks above -- I have bought many cards from Mike (and earlier from Doubleheaders).

Old 01-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

crashes my browser in his ebay "dump" listings.

Old 04-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbobjr.

They Suck!!!! They make sure that they get positive feedbacks before you get any feedbacks from them. It should be the opposite way around. You rate them as a seller not them rate you as a buyer!!!!! When you do business with them you should be the boss. After all your the one that keeps them in business. Any dealer that does that and gets one or two negative feedbacks I automatically dismiss them from all credibility. They do that just so it makes them look good and hush-up and shut-up those that truly do feel that they had a bad experience with them. Its simply bad business practice if you ask me. So tbob I totally disagree with you on the grounds they have good service.

Old 04-01-2003, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Here is my experience with this seller:

Six raw cards....

All graded by SGC....

All graded the exact condition as described.

Old 04-01-2003, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I'm always just a little disappointed. The last one, a Fan Craze Chance, "nearmint+" (but for the surprisingly low cost of $325) was ex-mint at best. Some red missing from the back...

Old 04-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

As a seller, I do not leave feedback until the buyer has done so for one reason, it assures me that person is happy with the deal and that there is no problem that needs to be taken care of. Also, my years of experience on eBay hove shown that many buyers do not bother to leave feedback. Why should a seller leave feedback for buyer when they are unwilling to same the same. eBay makes it very easy to leave now and there is no reason not to. I have left almost 700 feedbacks in almsot 6 years, yet have gotten slighty over 600 in return. The ratio would ahve looked much worse a year or 2 ago before stopped leaving feeedback regarless of whether I got it or not.

Jay

Old 04-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hench1

I bought some T205s from Jon Perry, who got them from Mike Wheat. There were very nice looking, but about 4 or 5 of the 12 came back trimmed. Jon was gracious enough to take them back (even after I had had them for a while before I sent them in to get graded). I bought some other T205s directly from Mike at the National and also had a few that were trimmed. I really expect more from a veteran dealer.

Old 04-02-2003, 05:47 AM
Administrator

After my story above I hesitate to post this. I actually did a BIN with his company, from ebay, recently. It was for a $45 or so card...a Schutter Johnson in vg....it had a really nice looking front....when I got it it had minor back damage....maybe one-two words were obliterated....it was minor and I didn't say anything to him and even gave positive feedback....moral here......you might get a back scan when buying from him .....regards all

Old 04-02-2003, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

I buy from him once or twice a year. I'm still getting catalogs from him twice a year. So far, no problems. Even though my highest purchase from him was a Gypsy Queen in fair condition for 200.00. It's good to keep up, with what market conditions are from his catalogs.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Administrator

I do agree with you (Jay) that theirs alot of buyers that refuse to leave feedbacks, but I always enjoy on being the last one to have the final say. After all they get their money (which keeps the dealer happy), then I get my card and I can determine that the quality of service. And for person like you to confiscate that very god given right from me just burns the buyer (like myself). I've been with ebay for roughly 2 1/2 years and only the very first deal I ever made that I didn't give my feedback, and the only reason why is because that I was still learning about ebay. And Jay I believe theres another reason why you like the idea of leaving feedbacks after you've gotten your (supposedly positive) feedbacks. Is severly retarded!!! Your hideous idea is design to protect the dealer and to cover his/her Ass!!!!!! and by using that form of a luming threat to the buyer that you still have the posing threat of using your weapon. I had two deals with Mr. Wheat (One throuigh ebay, and one through catalog). I know that Mr. Wheat isn't the only one Davidvintage, and Libertyforall (although his credibility is in question even to begin with)are others.I know from watching Libertyforall that he definitly uses that power as weapon. And let me raise this eyebrow question. Out of all the years that you've been with Ebay how many negative feedbacks have your victims given you and only to see that you've retaliated back against them? I have only one idea that evolve from that question. Your victims are scared out of their wits to even dare to give you a negative feedback. You reprensent and protect the buyer not the customer. I am the opposite. I believe the buyer not the seller should be the altimate judge. Because if it goes your way their would be no way to distinguish the mikesr11or the libertforall to the good dealers. So buyer beware!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2003, 12:43 PM
Administrator

OMG!!! My victims?!?!?!?! I have gotten 2 negs in 6 years and have left about a dozen and prolly twice as many neutrals.

You mention that I have somehow usurped "your god given right" (lmfao, are you serious?) to be able to leave feedback last. You have no such right, god given or constitutionally. Try being a seller instead of buyer on eBay and after you start getting negatives after leaving positives, tell whether or not you are still going to keep leaving feedback first.

The transaction is never complete until the customer is happy. Why would anyone leave feedback on a transaction that is not complete. Leaving feedback after payment is made is just asking for trouble. You have no idea if the person is going to try and claim you sold a fake or pull some other stunt. Until I know that customer happy, I am not going to leave them feedback.

As a buyer, once I get my item and am happy with it I immediately leave feedback. I don't expect sellers to leave me feedback just because I made a prompt payment. There is more to the transaction then that.

As to your question, how many retaliatory negs have I left? I have left exactly zero 'retaliatory' feddbacks. The 2 people that left me negs did so after I had left negs when I had exhausted all possible avenues of correcting the situation. Amazingly, both of these guys tried pulling the same stunt, claiming fake, excess damage, etc, yet refusing to return the items for a full refund yet threatening law suits, bodily harm, etc. The one guy got his account suspeneded for 30 days and lost his ISP at the time becuase of his threats made to me. You'd be surprised at the number of people that try to pull stunt,and almost always when I got a a really good deal to begin with. Most of them just go away when you offer a full refund if they return the card.

Jay

Old 04-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Dear Jay,I'm quite glad that you are one of the few people that do not retaliate (of course I'm being highly sarcastic). All the dealer's feedbacks that I've tempted to do business it has gone one of two ways Positive/Positive or Negative/Negative its never Positive/Negative or Negative/Positive. So I do then explain that Idea. And what about the luneybirds such as mikesr11 or libertyforall. How are we to distinguish the good from bad in dealers. I don't believe that you've answer that question. And How do you explain on how soooooo many of your kind of mentality dealers cooooooould possibly have 98 or 99+% I personally have found that is threat to me. Considering my condition that I'm in. I'm a person who loves to go on Ebay and I do everyday to watch and once in a while participate in an auction,but since I've started more then 3 years ago and I've won about 15-20 auctions and everyone of them I gave Feeeedback with the exception of my first. And I feel threaten by your kind of dealership. And Until you answer more of questions I had previously ask a refuse to find anymore commonground with you. To You it doesn't matter about the customer. To you compared too me your like a big CEO that doesn't care about their customers. Your the big guy and I'm the little guy. You have 700 feedbacks and I have hardly any. Any with your idea only goes to show you that you don't have very little faith in your customers. You don't believe in the fact that they will leave you feedback. You get your feedback through the usage of force. I would be willing to bet you that there are other people that would agree with me. And what do you (Jay) have to say about thooooose dealers that chose to use their feeeeeedbacks as a weapon? And because your ingenious idea as well as others you and the crooked dealers. Now you can see why I'm so angry with dealers like you. And uhm, how with your idea are distinguish good from bad dealers. What is yourrr suggestion then. And it appears to me that you've totally believe in that allll deeeealers are gooood peeeeeople.

Old 04-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Have you actually read anything I've written, or even comprehend it? You accuse me of retaliatory negs and I prove you wrong, yet you still fire back with sarcasm. This proves pretty much that there is no way that anyone can convince you that your thought process is wrong, thus making any sort of bedate with impossible since you are right and everyonee else who doesn't agrees with you is wrong.

If you truely understand the eBay feedback system, you would know that whole thing is actually a joke and basically worthless. People refuse to make use of it outside of leaving positives bacuase they fear ratialiatory negs. This is why the true scumbags of eBay have such good feedback, becuase people would rather leave no feedback, preserving their perfect feedback, then leave a neg/neutral warning others of the bad seller. A few negs on someone's feedback is no big deal, specially if you check out who left the negs. I doubt anyone takes the negs seriously that were left for me if they bother to check that person's feedback. The one guy has 8 negs on a 250 rating, and all for the same reason that I left a neg.

As to why you only see pos/pos or neg/neg feedback relationships; Just think about that one for a minute. Does it make sense that one party had a postive experience and the other a negative? About the only way that can happy is if the buyer is unhappy and doesn't try to get the seller to correct the situation. About teh only way for a seller to have a neg experience is if it involves that rare customer that is impossible to please or someone looking to scam the seller. About the only way for pos/neg relations happen is when a seller leaves feddback right away and the buyer trys to pull something or is unsatisfied. At this point, the customer can be totally unreasonable and demanding becuase they know that the seller has no recourse for leaving neg feedback about how this buyer really acts. Gee, wonder if this is why you want to the seller to leave feedback first?

I also love how you compare me to a CEO that doesn't care about customers. What is your basis for claim? You've never bought anything from me and I've clearly stated that I will do anything within reason to make the situation good. So, once again you make unjustified claims about me after I clearly stated otherwise.

As far as I know, I've answered every question you asked, yet claim I am avoiding them. What have I missed?

Now, some questions for you;

How is it wrong for the seller to wait for the customer to leave positive feedback first? You ahve never directly addressed this outside it's your"god given right" (this still makes me laugh) to leave feedback last.

Also, you accuse me and other sellers who wait for feedback of being feedback terrorists, just waiting to drop a neg on an unhappy customer. What other reason would you have to wanting to leave feedback last other than to be able to drop a neg on a seller without fear of retaltion. Oh, that's right, you already stated that in your first post. So please, clear this up for me.

Jay