NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 PM

Default My top 10 picks for the REA auction

http://sportsantiques.com/rea2012.htm
I posted my top ten picks for the Robert Edward Auction on my site SportsAntiques.com, link above. My focus is on the display pieces. The Ty Cobb tin was number 1. It was tough to pick 10 but I took a stab at it.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
http://sportsantiques.com/rea2012.htm
I posted my top ten picks for the Robert Edward Auction on my site SportsAntiques.com, link above. My focus is on the display pieces. The Ty Cobb tin was number 1. It was tough to pick 10 but I took a stab at it.
Carlton,
As usual your collector's eye for pieces like this is impeccable. I can't fault your choices as they are all unique and spectacular.

Nice post!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great choices Carlton...

The Red Sox Pennant has surfaced at least 4 times over the past decade, so REA's enthusiasm should be "curbed" (just a bit, anyway). Still a great pennant- it was terminated on ebay and thrown into REA just as their deadline for consignments approached.

The stunning Dempsey/Tunney Beech-Nut Ad Piece still has no bids... makes me wish I collected Boxing stuff, as it's pretty incredible.

As for potential omissions to your list, I would nominate just one... this piece looks nothing short of beautiful...

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=22692

Great list!
Mark

Last edited by perezfan; 05-09-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Im a press pin collector, so my picks would be any of the press pins. I m looking to start a collection of display pieces and was hoping there would be some trophy's I guess I just have to keep looking.

Last edited by tony; 05-09-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Im a press pin collector, so my picks would be any of the press pins. I m looking to start collection display pieces and was hoping there would be some trophy's I guess I just have to keep looking.
Nice vintage trophies and figural statues have R E A L L Y dried up as of late. Compare this catalogue to those from 4 - 6 years ago, and you'll see a huge difference in the material being offered. Those who acquire this stuff are simply not letting it go.

Perhaps it's the economy, but more likely the fact that you may not see anything similar for a very long time.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
Im a press pin collector, so my picks would be any of the press pins. I m looking to start collection display pieces and was hoping there would be some trophy's I guess I just have to keep looking.
I found these three pins to be particularly stunning!

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=22802

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=22803

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=22804

Last edited by Rob D.; 05-09-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Michael S

I agree, great choices Carlton. I love this one although not really a display piece. I can't stop looking at it.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=22650

Last edited by sox1903wschamp; 05-09-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the kind words....Yeah Mark, that A's composite print is very cool and rare...I actually had that on my possible list and it could have easily been included...

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=22967
I also liked that 36" wide Harlem Globetrotters Coca Cola sign to but the condition was rough....that's only the second one I recall...the other was in an antique store in Petaluma CA about 18 years ago...and it was in about the same or worse condition.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Don Hontz

Default Phil A's Pennant

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Great choices Carlton...

The Red Sox Pennant has surfaced at least 4 times over the past decade, so REA's enthusiasm should be "curbed" (just a bit, anyway). Still a great pennant- it was terminated on ebay and thrown into REA just as their deadline for consignments approached.

The stunning Dempsey/Tunney Beech-Nut Ad Piece still has no bids... makes me wish I collected Boxing stuff, as it's pretty incredible.

As for potential omissions to your list, I would nominate just one... this piece looks nothing short of beautiful...

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=22692

Great list!
Mark
Mark---I looked at this A's piece weeks ago and told my friend Chris Smith---I just couldnt put a value on it---but it is ironic you picked this piece, because I loved it too----what do u think it will go thanks, Don
Old 05-12-2012, 01:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
Mark---I looked at this A's piece weeks ago and told my friend Chris Smith---I just couldnt put a value on it---but it is ironic you picked this piece, because I loved it too----what do u think it will go thanks, Don
Don:
Great observation... I think the potential price variance on this particular piece is as great as any lot in the entire auction.

Technically it is an "altered" piece, and that could drive some "purists" away. But few would argue that the alteration represents a tremendous and beautiful enhancement to the original composite. It is far more attractive than the B&W version, and is as much a work of art as it is memorabilia.

So I think the price could land just about anywhere. Early Athletics collectors are passionate, and always tend to open their wallets. It currently sits at $1,900 (as I am writing this) but I am estimating it will end up in the high $3,000s (perhaps around $4K with the juice). That's just a guess though... if just two people really want it, you never know where it will land!

How about that 1916 Red Sox Pennant? The seller did well to take it off ebay, and squeeze it into REA. The tip is a bit ragged, but it's otherwise quite nice. Anyone rendering a guess as to the final price?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Jim Murphy

Don't overlook the Mantle Rawlings display which should hit $10,000
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Don:
Great observation... I think the potential price variance on this particular piece is as great as any lot in the entire auction.

Technically it is an "altered" piece, and that could drive some "purists" away. But few would argue that the alteration represents a tremendous and beautiful enhancement to the original composite. It is far more attractive than the B&W version, and is as much a work of art as it is memorabilia.

So I think the price could land just about anywhere. Early Athletics collectors are passionate, and always tend to open their wallets. It currently sits at $1,900 (as I am writing this) but I am estimating it will end up in the high $3,000s (perhaps around $4K with the juice). That's just a guess though... if just two people really want it, you never know where it will land!

How about that 1916 Red Sox Pennant? The seller did well to take it off ebay, and squeeze it into REA. The tip is a bit ragged, but it's otherwise quite nice. Anyone rendering a guess as to the final price?
Mark---I am going to guess $7000 before the juice on the 1916 Pennant---I sold the 1915 Scarce Red Sox Pennant to David Hunt---it went $8000 in his auction---I would say this 1916 is more scarce, but the tip scares me ---time will tell---Don
Old 05-12-2012, 03:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
Mark---I am going to guess $7000 before the juice on the 1916 Pennant---I sold the 1915 Scarce Red Sox Pennant to David Hunt---it went $8000 in his auction---I would say this 1916 is more scarce, but the tip scares me ---time will tell---Don
Yes... a real dilemma for the winning bidder. Do they trim the tip, to neaten it up a bit? I am typically anti-restoration in any form, but it would be a tiny touch-up. Plus, technically, the missing portion already means it's "altered" (even if by unintentional means).

I have a feeling the winning bidder won't touch it with a 10 foot pole, and will leave it as-is. Either way, REA should have shown a super close-up photo of the tip, as it could make over $1K worth of difference in terms of value.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Don Hontz

Default Phil A's Pennant Composite

Mark--the A's piece was at $2250---I hit it to 2500---and was outbid now $2750-----it would be 3 to me---with the juice and shipping I would have $3700 into it----so I am letting it go now---just no room but wow what a great piece--and the other thing which I like is the painting but alot of collectors would complain (and they shouldnt)--so lets see what happens---thanks for the info Don
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM

Default Closing Bids Posted

http://www.sportsantiques.com/rea2012.htm
I posted the closing bids of my top 10. The Home Run Cigarettes poster was the big surprise for me...$1,300.00 ??...somebody got a bargain!! And that Dempsey vs. Tunney Beechnut trifold went very cheap..also $1,300.00...I paid almost three times that for mine fifteen years ago...

Unless it's something I'd crawl thru broken glass for the bright lights and all those big prices tend to scare me off from high profile auctions...I'll step up now and then but I tend to be a bargain hunter.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:50 PM

Default The Press Pins in REA were fabulous.

I was able to score three. I wish he did two auctions a year instead of one.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 PM

Default which three?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansco View Post
I was able to score three. I wish he did two auctions a year instead of one.
Well...let's have it!...what's behind doors 1, 2, and 3