NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Default Just So in last Mastro- issue

Posted By: leon

Hey Folks,
A good friend of mine bought this Just So in the last Mastro. From the internet scan (lot 929) and the catalogue, the card looks fine. The problem is that when he got it there are big print lines/scratches in the card. It is very obvious in person, and here, and very distracting too.....The questions are ....what would you do if it happened to you? and ....should there be any recourse? There was no mention of the "scratches" in the auction description...thanks yall......

Old 05-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

From your description, it sounds as if the lines are a part of the original printing and not actual scratches to the card itself. In other words it was a design problem not a condition problem. Correct?

Old 05-22-2003, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Unless the problem is apparent in the image provided or if that type of problem to the card/issue is common knowledge in the hobby (for example, it's common knowledge that T206s often have colors that aren't perfectly aligned or that the 1949 Leafs have printing problems), the scratches should have been mentioned. I don't think all minor blips and dots have to be detailed, but a mark across the player's face should, especially when involving that kind of dough.

Old 05-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Since it got a 60 my thinking is that you are correct...that it was part of the printing process....regards

Old 05-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

Just because some idiot grading company chose to ignore the scratches in the negative--or wherever--is no excuse for Mastro to hide them in presenting the card! Your friend was robbed! False representation!

Old 05-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

This is the same Just So Cuppy that was sold on Sloate & Smolin's Jan 1998 auction.

The description back then:

Lot#2

"...The Cuppy card is well-centered,crease free, and grades a solid ex-plus, with a fine diagonal print line."

BTW, This is George Cuppy only known card issue.

Old 05-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Administrator

but the creases should be acknowledged. The Just So Burkett doesn't change hands without the understanding that it's trimmed!

Grr. mad.

Old 05-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Julie, it's not a crease, but apparently a scratch on the negative that produced the picture.

Jay

Old 05-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

wouldn't a scratch on the negative result in a dark line, rather than a white one?

Old 05-22-2003, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Old 05-23-2003, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

the two left side corners would sure classify it as a 50 if they were found on typical sized 'E" cards!

Old 05-23-2003, 02:26 AM
Administrator

I'm not about to be dropping $10,000 on a baseball card, or any kind of memorabilia for that matter, but the Just So's do have a sharp, photo-like image that you don't find on other 19th century baseball cards, at least printed cards. Even with the marks, this card offers a crisp-as-a-new-dollar-bill portrait. The Just So's are a one of a kind 19th century set.

Old 05-23-2003, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

I'm curious to see what Mastro is going to do about it... You can't see the print line/scratch in the Mastro catalog or E-net photo...

Old 05-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Those scratches really detract from the appearance of the card.

Old 05-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

Neither the scan nor the description indicate that those scratches were present on the card, which is very misleading. Your friend has every right to be upset. Sadly, I doubt that Mastronet will do anything about it since they will claim that 1) card is professionally graded and 2) there are no returns.

Old 05-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Administrator

I don't think either of those will be the answer they give. With all due respect I believe they will know the mistake and make it right. We'll see.....but I have complete confidence in Bill, Doug, and the gang over there.....this will be made right, I am sure.....best regards

Old 05-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie

I hear nothing but good things from Mastro, so I'm sure they'll make it right too.

Old 05-24-2003, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

but I have a good friend who was a frequent submitter to Mastronet and good for $75,000 to $100,000 in bids every auction, winning about 10-20%. He won an expensive piece of memorabilia that was not discribed properly. He bought it to their attention and they would not make it "right". As a result they lost a consignor and a bidder in the process.

I hope that this situation has a different result.

Old 05-24-2003, 10:22 AM
Administrator

..and i hope poster who mentioned Barry Sloate as someone else who had failed to mention the scratches was not saying, if Barry can do it, anyone can. Barry's been known to make "mistakes."

Old 05-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Julie, When I posted the Sloate & Smolin lot description, it wasn't to show that they made a mistake.
It was just a way to show how auction houses can have similar or different views on same items.

I can't speak about Mastro, but Barry S. is a great guy and a true asset to the hobby.
Hope more hobby guys could be as helpful as he is.
Always have the time to discuss and help on obscure items.

I really don't care if those are scratches or print lines on the Just So Cuppy... Thought it was interesting for others to read what was said about the card back in 1998.

Old 05-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

I think both Bill and Barry are true Pioneers and visionarys of the hobby. I would be shocked if either one of them did not take care of their customers.. Just my opinion.

Old 05-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie

I would hope they would take the card back. The scan does not show any scratches at all. If I paid that kind of money and got no refund I'd be pretty pissed...as anybody would.