NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default Latest sign the apocalypse is coming

Posted By: tbob

Joe Orlando of PSA is announcing that PSA will start grading "rookie autographs," i.e. autographs of players signed during their first season only in the bigs.
Will it never end?

Old 05-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I do not think there is enough reliable data out there to properly differentiate to a particular year when a baseball player signed an autograph.

Can anyone out there propertly differentiate for me a Christy Mathewson signature from 1900 compared to 1901 compared to 1902? You can't - it's not possible. The same applies to nearly every Hall of Famer ever. I just cannot even fathom how one could have any confidence in such tomfoolery.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

My guess is that their announcement is looking to stimulate business by getting credulous people to submit autographed cards of rookie players NOW, when they obviously can be determined to be rookie year autographs. Gee, I wonder if the Palmiero autograph I got his rookie year would be worth more with a "rookie" slab. Somehow, I think not...

Interesting how this comes in the wake of them losing Spence...

Old 05-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

A friend of mine collects Signed Government Postcards and essentially this is the only way to go about 'certifying' a person's premiere year in the league with the postmark matching the debut year. He's actually been doing this for like 20+ years, long after the 'death of concept of the GPC'. He has names like Clemens, Bonds and even more recent guys like up and comers B.J Upton and Jason Bartlett. He also has the most amazing vintage GPC collection including postmarked cards of Mays' first week in the Majors, a stellar Ruth that is personalized to his namesake and a Bobby Thomson signed two days before the 'Shot'.

My personal opinion, who cares if Albert Pujols (or anyone) signed something in 2001 (taking a guess at his rookie year) or in 2005. The ultimate sign of a desparate company is a series of gimmicks (do we really need to grade the balls itself?..and no adult humor about this comment) and try and replace Jimmy or do something before I see them slab baseball bats or actual human beings.

DJ

edited because I misspelled like nine words.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Speaking of slabbing humans, if you do it in the first year after their birth, Im pretty sure you get a rookie designation.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hrbaker

How long until we have cards of famous ballplayer's kids ultrasounds?

Old 05-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Schwartz

I think the next logical step is to sell DNA, sperm, hair, or other "live" collectibles from baseball's all-time greats. There would also be a premium for material acquired during either the rookie year, an MVP/Chalmers year, or the day of death.

Old 05-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

....but Ty Cobb's dentures sold for $7475

http://slam.canoe.ca/BaseballStadiumClosings/sep27_cob.html

I don't know whether that was with or without the juice...

Max

Old 05-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Administrator

I was there in the front row, shaking my head when Ty's chicklets commanded big bucks. Everything sold for WAY too much....hey, it's kind of like Vintage Pre-War trading cards NOW!

Slabbing human beings? I'm ready to esnipe Mookie Wilson or Joel Youngblood!

DJ

Old 05-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

In defense of the guy that bought these. From what I have gathered, the guy that bought them is a dentist, and displays them in his office. Kinda wierd I guess, but he obviously thought it would be a cool display item for those coming into his office. I can't imagine somebody paying big bucks for those and putting them in a safe collecting dust.
-Rhett

Old 05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Clever dentist. I can think of several humans I'd prefer slabbed. (And several people who would prefer ME slabbed!)

Every time I see or hear the name Joe Orlando, I think of Tony Orlando and Dawn...whatever that means.

Somebody wanted this, till I told him what I paidf for it...

Old 05-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Julie,

How much for Hazen?

DJ

Old 05-25-2005, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

and note--this is the less desirable card (not with Chicago).

Old 05-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I have only seen one authenticator ever be able to determine what year an autograph was signed, Justin at GAI. But he can only do it with McGwire. I was blown away when I brought in a couple items I had Big Mac sign in front of me and he was able to me exactly what year they were signed. I'm sure that most of the authenticators out there, whether its Jimmy, Steve, Justin, or any of the other authenticators can determine roughly what era a signature is signed. As far as rookie signatures go, in my experience, they sell for less than the current form of a atheletes signature. I think this is because people are more familiar with the current signature and the older signatures look, in some cases, entirely different so they don't feel comfortable buying them.