NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Default Australian Ogdens Peter Jackson Card

Posted By: D. Bergin

I'm kicking myself for forgetting to bid on this. I just don't see it pop up very often. Somebody got a bargain IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&it em=220354988276

tabs_boxer.jpg

Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Nice. That was a bargain. I have owned a couple of those in the past, and the last one I sold in a lot worse condition went for over 3 times the amount.

They are tough to find, even in Australia.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

My wife says "Iforgot" should be my middle name but unlike making the bed or taking out the trash, I actually care about cards.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 02-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator

I know you're not a big fan of overseas cards Adam but good catch if you won it.

David, I figured they couldn't be too common even in Australia or more would have surfaced in the internet age..........like the Les Darcy BDV cards.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator

As I said, I forgot to bid. I even had the ebay reminder but I ignored it because something else was going on and I assumed I'd just remember to go back. Big mistake.

I don't hate overseas cards, I just don't trust that the supplies on many of them (esp. the British ciggie issues, Rekord and Panini) aren't being manipulated. I've actually got quite a few international cards, esp. when the boxer is one I need who isn't in an American set. Many of the prewar European Jewish fighters and athletes simply cannot be found elsewhere, e.g., Moise Boquillon, Young Perez, Danny Frush, Harold Abrahams, Harry Mitzler, etc.; and there are some really attractive cards too. That said, I'm definitey biased towards American issued cards.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Administrator

OK, we both forgot then. happy.gif

If I was smarter and less old fashioned I'd use a sniping program instead of hoping I'd remember.

I'm not really worried about the manipulation of the British cards. By now it's fairly well known what's common and what's tougher.

The Panini's, like the Italian Post Office has always been erratic and all over the board though. Not sure I'd invest long term in even some of the supposed rarer sets. I wouldn't be surprised if cases of these were slowly being broken up by dealers as we speak.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Administrator

is that genius has its limits...Albert Einstein

Snipe programs are great; I use one. Of course, you have to remember to enter the item into it. D'oh!

Old 02-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Hanvey

"David, I figured they couldn't be too common even in Australia or more would have surfaced in the internet age..........like the Les Darcy BDV cards."

Dave,
They are 1,000 times harder to find down here than the BDV cards. I could get a BDV Darcy card (or even all 6 of them) tomorrow if I tried hard enough. After finding the first two Ogden's Jackson cards pretty easily, I haven't been able to locate one in over a year !

That being said, I am still looking for that elusive Fitzsimmons N174. That's only been about a 5 year exercise happy.gif

Old 02-13-2009, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Hanvey

And speaking of international cards, they just don't get the love they deserve. No doubt that some of those panini's that are considered rare probably aren't, but some other cards that should be getting the love just don't.

One Aussie example is the 1949 Vic Nuts Joe Louis card. The last couple I have seen sold for around $50, which to me is cheap as that card is tough, real tough. The whole Vic Nuts sportsmen set from 1949 is extremely hard to put together and it took me a couple of years to get the 7 boxers from the set. I have noticed that the only Aussie cards that get the prices they deserve are the "Aussie" N174's, or a 1922 Newcastle Darcy - that is unless me and Gary are after the same card and one of us pays $70 for a $10 card happy.gif

Old 02-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

David,

Yes, the Victoria Nuts cards seem pretty tough. I sold the Joe Louis I had at the HOF show in New York for around $200 but it was in very nice condition.

Do you have a scan of an "Aussie" N174 you can show? Not sure I've even seen one before.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Administrator

It is a crappy one but...

Old 02-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron Conyers

I hope to find a N174 Fitz as well. I expect it to be a long wait, and know of only the one example.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator

there are quite a few 1 of 1 type cards. In some ways it makes boxing collecting fun since no one can really ever claim to own it all, but if you're trying to complete a set it can be a real drag.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brent Butcher

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

All the best
Brent

Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Nice cards Brent. Damn I love that Slavin !

Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Lou's older brother?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brent Butcher

He was a well known Australian boxer. Fought Peter Jackson, Dooley and Slavin quite a few times in Australia.

He should have been in that N174 master list I sent you over a year ago...

Notice the difference in name locations on Slavin? Its the only N174 I know of where the name can be found in different locations within the same series.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Administrator

I think Martin Costello was born in America (not sure if he had Aussie citizenship, like say Peter Jackson). He would have to be with a nickname liek "the Buffalo".

He did fight here for a while though before going back to the states to finish his career.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Great cards Brent.

So is it the font style at the bottom that seperates the "exports" from the U.S. version N174's?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

"I have noticed that the only Aussie cards that get the prices they deserve are the "Aussie" N174's, or a 1922 Newcastle Darcy "

For me the most important aussie issue boxing card, super hard to find and not all that cheap when you get a chance to bid on one.

[linked image]