NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Default Purchased my 1st PRO card

Posted By: fkw

Check this thing out!

It is one of the 1948 Pacific Coast Publishing Co. Babe Ruth cards graded by PRO.

This slab is crazy especially for a card just slightly bigger than a postcard. It must weight a pound and a half, and about 1/2" thick, by 9.5" by 13.5".

Too bad PRO has such a bad reputation, this slab is very high quality, sort of a cross between a PSA and SGC slab but on steroids.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

9 1/2 by 13!! Yowzer!It is a nice looking slab though.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

when it was issued, but it's a NM 7...that much they're sure of !

I felt the same way about one of my neighbors' dogs when I was growing up

Old 12-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

the card looks great! BUT, with all due respect, PRO is a joke...early on i made the mistake of buying 1 or 2 PRO T206's, and they were deemed trimmed by PSA...very bad rep. IMO, steer clear.

MS

Old 12-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

No Need to worry abot FKW, he didn't fall off a turnip truck, if he bought a PRO graded card he bought it at the right price.....

Be well Brian

Old 12-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i didn't mean to insult fkw...just making sure people know about PRO...

Old 12-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

the 'pro' commentary was very appropriate... especially since this forum and threads can be found and read by people who may not know what to expect from them.

that aside... I kind of like that slab. No need for a frame. Just stick it to the wall.

Would love to see my e101 matty in that size slab

Old 12-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I found this board a few years ago, right when I was about to buy my first prewar card, a Lajoie T206 Throwing. I noted in a post on this board that the Pro-graded card was a fraction of its PSA counterpart; I was given a quick education and ended up buying an 8OC Lajoie for $450. If not for this board, I'd probably have the only complete Topps 1955 graded set all in PRO slabs!

Old 12-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I bought the card ($50), not the holder. I was just showing off the crazy thing the card came in. I might use it as a cutting board or something.

BTW in case anyone doesnt know. These Ruth cards are from 1948 and are found in 2 variations. One has "Compliments of American Association of Professional Baseball Clubs" at the bottom of the back, while the other is missing this line and now is known to have been produced by the "Pacific Coast Sports Publishing Co." of L.A. The PCSPC cards were offered for 10 cents ea. in an ad (with picture) in the Sept. 10, 1948 issue of "Pacific Coast Baseball News" (a PCL Magazine). The PCSPC info in not yet known or published in the SCD Standard Catalog, yet the cards are listed on page 26 in the 2007 SCD.

The only other difference between the 2 variations is the style of the "R" in "Ruth" on the back.

(Thanks to Jim Manos for finding the ad in the 1948 magazine)