NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Default Schmidt - Is it a real signature? Or: He signs so much, does it really matter...

First off, I have a ton of signed Schmidt items since, like a number of other HoFers, there's nothing he won't sign. So, don't feel bad if you have an opinion on this one.

This was probably given to me around 1988 for Christmas by an uncle. Looking at my other 20 or so Schmidt autos, this one sticks out like a sore thumb. Schmidt's signature is fairly easy to recognize, usually at a slight angle, big M, big S, t crossed through the d.

2 glaring problems I see on mine are the M (no lead in to the letter, maybe the way he was holding) and the S is different than 99% of his autographs I've seen.

Here's the ball:

That said, I did find a ball authenticated on Ebay that has a similar "S". And the K and E in his first name look spot on between mine and the Ebay listing. So, that may take away some of my issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230953529396...84.m1423.l2649

NINJA EDIT -- This is actually the one with the similar S.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281012734132...84.m1423.l2649

What do you think? Again, we're not talking big ticket and I have a number of them, so, you're not costing me a vacation ticket if you have an opinion. Just curious, it'll stay on my shelf regardless.

Thanks guys. Love your detective work.

Last edited by bigwinnerx; 04-11-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 PM
J Stone

Schmidt's signature changed over time but I wouldn't be comfortable with that ball.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Jim M.arinari

I believe it is an early 80's example. Is it a Feeney?
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
I believe it is an early 80's example. Is it a Feeney?
Not a Feeney. Its not a Major League baseball.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
Not a Feeney. Its not a Major League baseball.
DOH! Didn't see the forest for the trees.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Ha yeah, it's....we'll say it's a great gift to give an 8 year old before he turns 34 and wonders about it's authenticity.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Steve Zarelli

I am not familiar enough with Schmidt's signature variations over the years to comment on it, but this strikes me...

You've had this ball since 1988. At that time he was not a HOFer, a relatively low value autograph, and probably a low risk for forgery. Doubtful any skilled forger was doing single signed Schmidt balls in 1988 or before.

There is the possibility of a clubhouse signature, but I'd be surprised if this was a malicious forgery.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

mike-schmidt-signature-3.jpgAttachment 95675 early sig.

Last edited by shelly; 04-12-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Ken Goldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Attachment 95551 Early sig.
Of course Shelly is correct
this is part of a promotion that was done in the early 80s i believe with a number of Phillies players.
Steve Carlton Mike Schmidt, Larry Bowa and I believe Pete Rose all signed a number of these baseballs. They were marketing in the philadelphia and south jersey area. I know, as a teenager I owned the full set
Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Attachment 95551 Early sig.
Where's the smilie?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Old 04-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I am not familiar enough with Schmidt's signature variations over the years to comment on it, but this strikes me...

You've had this ball since 1988. At that time he was not a HOFer, a relatively low value autograph, and probably a low risk for forgery. Doubtful any skilled forger was doing single signed Schmidt balls in 1988 or before.

There is the possibility of a clubhouse signature, but I'd be surprised if this was a malicious forgery.
Steve, he had his 500th in 1987 and he retired in 1989! He was a stone-cold lock.
There were forgeries of his when I started collecting (again) in '81, and a TON by the time I was a dealer in '85. But that WAS in Philly area, so maybe it was just concentrated.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Steve Zarelli

Wow... Thanks for the info. How much was it selling for back in those days?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Wow... Thanks for the info. How much was it selling for back in those days?
I remember the cheapest you could get being < $10 for a card, $10-15 for a scorebook or something like that, and $15-20 for a crappy 8th gen photo. Balls were usually priced in the $50 range but could be had for $30.
Nice/unique stuff would have a major premium.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
I remember the cheapest you could get being < $10 for a card, $10-15 for a scorebook or something like that, and $15-20 for a crappy 8th gen photo. Balls were usually priced in the $50 range but could be had for $30.
Nice/unique stuff would have a major premium.
That's a lot higher than I would have thought. You can get a Schmidt ball today for less (adjusted for inflation.)
Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

He would sign for Sally Struthers Christian Charity. I think at that time it was 10 dollars a ball.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
That's a lot higher than I would have thought. You can get a Schmidt ball today for less (adjusted for inflation.)
Remember those were Philly/ NJ / DE prices I'm sure it was less in Texas.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 PM

Default JimStinson

He is impossible to sell............except for the price of the ball and holder. Who cares ?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Well *I* care.

Right, look, you could send Michael Jack 10,000 cards today and you'd get 10,000 back signed before the Masters ended. I get it. But, as an 8-10 year old who IDOLIZED him, getting this for Christmas was like....Christmas.

Shelly, link you put up isn't working for me, maybe you can repost unless I'm missing something.

To others, thanks for the inputs. Very appreciated, thanks for putting up with my query. Got responses from a lot of folks I certainly trust in here. It's staying on the wall regardless, but, glad to spin up a couple posts in the process.

Last edited by bigwinnerx; 04-12-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwinnerx View Post
Well *I* care.

Right, look, you could send Michael Jack 10,000 cards today and you'd get 10,000 back signed before the Masters ended. I get it. But, as an 8-10 year old who IDOLIZED him, getting this for Christmas was like....Christmas.
One of my fondest memories from my childhood was opening up my Christmas gift from my father (I was about 10 at the time) and finding a signed ball from my idol. Glad to see that yours is real (link wouldn't work for me either, but I am assuming that was Shell's opinion on this?).