NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2010, 09:41 PM

Default Red Hindu Challenge!

A couple of forum members claim that common player PSA 1 red Hindu cards can be had easily for $500. I clearly disagree. In fact, im going to put my money where my mouth is on this one. I will pay $500 cash on all PSA 1 / SGC 20 common player red Hindus that im offered up to 10 cards. Thats right. I have $5,000 in cash just waiting for the "endless" PMs to start rolling in. Chances are 99% that I dont get a chance to buy a single card at this price within the next 3 month span. Let the offers begin!
Old 04-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Rob G.

I have an SGC A, but not a number grade

Good luck w/your purchases!
Rob

Last edited by tiger8mush; 04-17-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: editing to clarify SGC
Old 04-17-2010, 10:42 PM

If you're looking only on Net54, your chances are slim. More collectors here than sellers, and those that do sell on occasion may not want to sell just so you can prove a point to others... Try some auctions outside of eBay and a show or two....sure to find a few for that price. Or maybe make an offer on some of the crazy priced ones on eBay. Won't hurt.

You also are basing your opinion on only 2 months of being in the hobby, while many of us here have been doing this for a quarter century, and others half a century....

Last edited by JP; 04-17-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:27 AM

It's nice to see that you have approached this board with a renewed maturity.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
If you're looking only on Net54, your chances are slim. More collectors here than sellers, and those that do sell on occasion may not want to sell just so you can prove a point to others... Try some auctions outside of eBay and a show or two....sure to find a few for that price. Or maybe make an offer on some of the crazy priced ones on eBay. Won't hurt.

You also are basing your opinion on only 2 months of being in the hobby, while many of us here have been doing this for a quarter century, and others half a century....

Im basing my opinion not on 2 months of being in the hobby (its closer to 5 actually) but rather on realized CURRENT pricing. I went to the Chicago Sun Times show in March. 150 dealers, 0 red hindus. I scour ebay constantly. Other than the two way overpriced BINs and the card with half the back missing, there have been no red hindus. There are only a couple lots with red hindus in the current 2 major auctions (1 lot features 8 cards). I dont think you are giving enough credit to how rare this variation actually is. To say it can be had in PSA 1 with any frequency at $500, and then to tell me you know this because you have collected baseball cards for 25+ years only shows me one thing. That you have not been tracking the recent sales and very scarce availability of this particular card. I'd like to see a couple of real world auction/sales data thats recent that support your claim.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 AM

I just don't think you'll ever understand...
Old 04-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Chicago,
Just so you know...two years ago at least three different red hindus sold in auctions for less than $300 each. Last year, I know that one sold for less than $500 (I bought it myself). A red hindu in PSA A or 1 can be had for between $400 and $600 in my opinion. Yes, they are rare and they do not come around very often but they are out there.

Just so you know...I will not sell my red hindu. I do suggest that you listen to some of these people as they know what they are talking about.

Joshua

PS I know Brian Cataquet (a well known and respected dealer) has a red hindu mcgraw on his site that he sold for less than $500...not sure how recent but his site has not been up all that long.

Last edited by Wite3; 04-18-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Jeff

Chicago206, is your boat now up for sale?

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few thousand

At minimum a few thousand collectors saw this. But it was way back in March....

http://www.b-lauctions.com/site/bid/...etauctionid=74
Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 AM

Someone got a very nice deal on that one Leon! It seems as maybe my offer of $500 per card for 1's is a little strong. Lets see just how many im able to buy at that price point though. My offer stands.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Ron Rice

Default Red Hindu

I think there was a buyer's premium added to that Magee, so the sales price was around $550?

I've got a PSA 3 Red Hindu I will sell. Contact me privately if you wish to negotiate on it.

Ron R
Old 04-18-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridwell View Post
I think there was a buyer's premium added to that Magee, so the sales price was around $550?

I've got a PSA 3 Red Hindu I will sell. Contact me privately if you wish to negotiate on it.

Ron R

Ron, we have negotiated on it. I decided to pass on the 3 because I was happy to buy a nice looking 1 for about half the price. How did you like the Davis 42 by the way?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Joe P.

Default Chicago206

Chi-Town is one of my favorite Towns.

And you have clarified the reasoning as to why it's called Second City.

Now don't you go out with a frown and sell your Drum.

Then again, you're a flipper, not a collector ... isn't that what flippers do?

Go for it baby ... take it out of your portfolio, and put it back out on YOUR market!
Old 04-18-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
Someone got a very nice deal on that one Leon! It seems as maybe my offer of $500 per card for 1's is a little strong. Lets see just how many im able to buy at that price point though. My offer stands.
At this point, no matter how much you offer, you may not get any takers. Having the money and willingness to pay doesn't necessarily make you someone that people will want to deal with.

And shouldn't this thread be moved out of B/S/T? With all of the commentary in the original post, it was never a genuine ad, and everytime someone posts, all of the legit B/S/T posts get pushed down. Not really fair to the real buyers and sellers...
Old 04-18-2010, 03:05 PM

There's going to be some excuse no matter how many times you show him a realistic price. He wants to overpay "to make a point" now. This guy makes everything about money. Its really strange considering he did the same exact thing on the CU board. Why throw it out there that $5,000 is burning a hole in your pocket? You're only in this "challenge" because you couldn't help bringing up money and how much you spend in the original thread.

Last edited by packs; 04-18-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
There's going to be some excuse no matter how many times you show him a realistic price. He wants to overpay "to make a point" now. This guy makes everything about money. Its really strange considering he did the same exact thing on the CU board. Why throw it out there that $5,000 is burning a hole in your pocket? You're only in this "challenge" because you couldn't help bringing up money and how much you spend in the original thread.

Actually, my offer is genuine. I do have some cash set aside for good buying opportunities. I will buy up to 10 red hindus at my stated offer of $500 each. I have yet to receive a single taker on this offer. Its highly unlikely that I will get any either. I would be THRILLED to add a few to my collection at that price point!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 PM

You still just don't get it...no matter what you offer, you may not get any takers at this point. And again, this thread should be locked as when you replied, 3 legit BST threads got pushed down again. This is a conversation thread, not a BST post. If it was a legit BST post, it wouldn't have all of the idiotic commentary about how dumb we all are in the thread starter.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:37 PM
pete ullman

To continue beating this dead horse...I just noticed on ebay there are currently 2 red hindus...a trimmed baker and a gandil vg. The Baker is $3.5K or so and the Gandil $5.5K. Obviously these are overpriced. So what are they worth? At what price point would anyone buy them? What do you think they R worth in today's valuations?

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-18-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:50 PM

I know that the $5500 Gandil red Hindu was in my crosshairs before....either in a major auction or on card target, I almost went after it at around $3000-3500 I believe. It'll be worth the asking price in 5-10 years, I believe. The $3500 Baker (trimmed to the extreme!!) can't be worth more than 20% of the asking price, can it?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:04 AM
Jim R

not sure about the Baker but the Gandil was an ebay auction that ended around 3200 and was put back up at the price you see. Also that was when red Hindus were very hot-about 2 years ago-probably a record in VCP.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default moved

Since this thread keeps bumping more legit ones down, on the BST, I decided to move it here. This does not mean everyone wanting to buy something should post it here on the main page. This is an extraordinary situation....
Old 04-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
this is an extraordinary situation....

lol!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
lol!
I had to say something ...so maybe it's not extraordinary but it did kept moving legit BST transactions down, and that wasn't fair to them.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I had to say something ...so maybe it's not extraordinary but it did kept moving legit BST transactions down, and that wasn't fair to them.

Leon, the reason WHY it kept moving other BST ads down is the running commentary that is completely unnecessary in my ad. I thought it was an "unwritten" rule on the BST that you dont take pot shots at someone else's posting. Dan made that very clear (as did you yourself) in the BST ad that I was selling a number of rare backs. But now you chose to punish me for what is a VERY LEGIT offer to buy red Hindu 1's at $500 each? Its your forum Leon, but some consistancy would be nice.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
...but some consistancy would be nice.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 AM

Default chicagoT206

Are you serious? You constantly complain about everything. Just do what most collectors do and read/enjoy this forum. I have been on this site for about 6-7 years and am learning everyday. I have started threads in the past and have asked questions when I am unable to find the answer in the search function. What you don't seem to understand that this forum is not just an internet site. This is a site where people who have known each other for years come to talk cards. People know each other here and "respect" each other. It seems as though everyday you create a new thread, get upset when somebody says something, then you go on ranting about how unfair this site is to you. Please, just stop your bickering. You have really made this site unenjoyable for the past month or so.

Jeff W.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Pup6913

I have stayed neutral about this and will continue, but I would say if eveybody just got off his ass about this then there would be no issues. He posted a valid BST add. Just like we all do, and you all that keep replying (mostly JP) keep bumping it then blame him for your ignorance. Let him be him. If you don't want to deal with him then don't. Don't reply to his threads, BST, or offers. Give stuff time to chill out and regroup.

Kinda like the Old Judge aution thread I started about the T205's in that auction. A few of the carp stirrers immedietly jumped my ass like I said Lew was a bad guy when nothing at all was even remotly geared towards that. After a few legitamite replys I began to understand that his long and spectacular presence in the hobby has lead people to trust him and are willing to pay more for his auctions. Very comforting to know. Didn't need all the BS before that though for no reason.

I think even this won't matter because we all have A$$HLES (opinions)
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup6913 View Post
I have stayed neutral about this and will continue, but I would say if eveybody just got off his ass about this then there would be no issues. He posted a valid BST add. Just like we all do, and you all that keep replying (mostly JP) keep bumping it then blame him for your ignorance. Let him be him. If you don't want to deal with him then don't. Don't reply to his threads, BST, or offers. Give stuff time to chill out and regroup.

Kinda like the Old Judge aution thread I started about the T205's in that auction. A few of the carp stirrers immedietly jumped my ass like I said Lew was a bad guy when nothing at all was even remotly geared towards that. After a few legitamite replys I began to understand that his long and spectacular presence in the hobby has lead people to trust him and are willing to pay more for his auctions. Very comforting to know. Didn't need all the BS before that though for no reason.

I think even this won't matter because we all have A$$HLES (opinions)
Maybe you and Chicago need to start a board just for yourselves. That way we don't have to listen to your crap OR his crap. Then we would be that much closer to serenity.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Pup6913

Quote:
Maybe you and Chicago need to start a board just for yourselves. That way we don't have to listen to your crap OR his crap. Then we would be that much closer to serenity.

But he only collects T206's
Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 AM
David McDonald

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...t=Adam+Moraine
Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post

Posting a link of a member who was banned? What have I done so horrible as to deserve a ban? I gave my opinion regarding the Cobb/Cobb back (in which both REA ans Scot Reader have also talked about). I disagree about current pricing on a card type. I ask about the actual disparity between the rare backs rankings. I call a fellow member out for trying to use me as leverage to win an auction without my knowing. I post a genuine BST ad in which others who are not interested in conducting that specific transaction ruin it for me.

Exactly what have I done to deserve a ban? I have never threatened anyone in here. I have never been outright disrespectful to anyone here (unless they took a shot at me first). I have not tried to decieve anyone. So what is the reason you would post a link to another member who was bannished?

Phil
Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM
David McDonald

Because you irritate the shit out of me.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
LOL, good stuff David.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:55 AM
pete ullman

agreed w/David...for some reason you are very irritating...to me as well...like a child starved for attention.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Are low grade Red Hindus really over $500 now for a common player?

Wow, I remember when they were only a couple hundred not too long ago...

Must be more back type collectors nowadays.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen...

The erudite Mr. McDonald!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I'm laughing as I type this...

Pissing David off takes a pretty huge effort.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I'm laughing as I type this...

Pissing David off takes a pretty huge effort.

I believe you. But what did I do thats so bad? Really?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Paul

Quote:
Also made me laugh out loud. Almost choked on my lunch.....

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
I believe you. But what did I do thats so bad? Really?
It's not you, it's me.

And him.

And him.

And him.

And her.

And him.

And him.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Paul

Quote:
What did I do thats so bad? Really?
I'm actually not convinced you're not a troll. Perhaps the perfect troll. So annoying that you ruin the board for everyone, but nothing so over-the-top to warrant getting banned outright.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Here’s my take on Phil.

I think Phil is an overzealous investor into this hobby. We know he likes to play with Gold. He also seems to like the Mad Money type approach to talking about his investments… super hype and over discussion etc.

I think Phil is under the impression that if he can discuss something such as one brand back ad nauseum his purchase will grow in value before his own eyes. I think folks like Phil really think this stuff trades on huge swings up and down. When in fact for the most part most all cards trade in relatively known values with very little in the way of huge swings that is unless one holds them for years and years. There are a few exceptions but not many.

I also think Phil is spending big bucks for Phil (nothing wrong with that) even perhaps spending a bit out of his comfort zone? Perhaps having multiple discussions on the board with the same round about message helps justify the purchases. And validate what he’s doing.

With that said most folks on here are horrible card investors as we are collectors and since most folks cards aren’t for sale…it makes it hard to turn a profit. LOL

Most folks also are here to learn and need very little in the way of validation for purchases; very few of us would drop our collection because we had a few bad days on a chat board.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-19-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Joann

Quote:
At minimum a few thousand collectors saw this. But it was way back in March....

http://www.b-lauctions.com/site/bid/...etauctionid=74
Good one! As we know, in this context "March 8" means the same as "the beginning of time". Or at least "the creation of the vintage card collecting hobby".

Here's the sad thing that is being lost. Some of the questions and issues Chx206 raises have good underlying substance - the kind of inquisitive exploration about the hobby that gives veterans a chance to help rookies and anyone else fortunate enough to be listening in. But the tenor of every thread and every post is so incredibly belligerent that no one wants to deal with it, help is barely forthcoming, and others with questions may figure it's just not worth it.

The life of the board is shared knowledge and a common experience. Anything that undermines that process - no matter how well intended - damages the board, IMHO.

Joann
Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Old 04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Tim

Joann I couldn't agree with your comments more.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
Good one! As we know, in this context "March 8" means the same as "the beginning of time". Or at least "the creation of the vintage card collecting hobby".

Here's the sad thing that is being lost. Some of the questions and issues Chx206 raises have good underlying substance - the kind of inquisitive exploration about the hobby that gives veterans a chance to help rookies and anyone else fortunate enough to be listening in. But the tenor of every thread and every post is so incredibly belligerent that no one wants to deal with it, help is barely forthcoming, and others with questions may figure it's just not worth it.

The life of the board is shared knowledge and a common experience. Anything that undermines that process - no matter how well intended - damages the board, IMHO.

Joann

I agree, Joann. Very nice summary, especially considering you're in the middle of an "ear bleeding" meeting all day.

Chicago has asked some valid questions in the past, but the "tone" (as such there is on a message board), obscures any validity.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
It's not you, it's me.

And him.

And him.

And him.

And her.

And him.

And him.
Rob makes an excellent point. If everywhere you go it's you against the world, maybe the world isn't the problem.

Take half the time you invest in defending yourself and spend it reflecting on how the board views your tone and with a little tweaking you may contribute without it evolving into something other than a discussion about vintage baseball cards.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Joann

I had to stop the process of clawing my own ears off long enough to have lunch. Back at it though!

J
Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Jim VB

I once learned that, when playing poker, if you've played more than three hands and haven't figured out who the sucker at the table is...

It's you.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Jim D

He only irritates you because you guys keep poking the bear with a stick.... leave him alone and i am sure he will be less annoying to you.

All seems kinda silly to me, on both sides of the fence. Every guy wants the last word, and it just keeps the ball rolling!

Now im going back to my corner and hiding.........

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!