NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Casey

Default How to know if an unsigned card is a reprint?

This has probably been asked 100 times. I am usually in the autograph board. But I'm trying to build some card collections for fun....no slabbing, just old used cards. Cards are usually pretty cheap. Here's the rub - I want a card that is not a reprint, even if a kid used it in his bicycle spokes. Example: I want a Joe Morgan rookie card. Inexpensive card. And some eBay sellers are fair and state RP. But if the seller does not say, and it's not marked on the back of the card, are there other hints? "Looks old" doesn't mean much to me. I can put a reprint in my jeans pocket and run it through the washer and dryer and it looks old. Looking for sage advice please??

Last edited by Case12; 08-18-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Easiest answer is to buy some commons from the same set, and touch them. The fronts and backs feel different because of gloss or card stock. The printing will be slightly different. Old cards may smell old. Creases through the card have the same gray cardstock as the back.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:51 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If you have cards from the same issue, the reprints should be pretty obvious in multiple ways-- thickness, cardstock, gloss, opacity (see-through effect when the card is held up to a light), etc. In fact, if you handle a lot the cards, reprints will usually be obvious just be the general look.

So, if you're collecting Topps, it would be a good idea to get an assortment of commons from the various years for comparison.

But, in general, old Topps have genuine slightly rough cardboard backs and edges-- dark grey to lighter in color. They put a smooth surface on the front of the cards before printing the fronts of the cards, so the fronts are smoother and a bit glossier than the backs. After you get few Topps from any years, you will see this. Topps cards from the 1950s to 80s are all like this.

Last edited by drcy; 08-18-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:30 PM
Casey

Thanks. That's some good info. But if I am buying singles off eBay, it sounds like hit or miss. I wish reprints required dating footnotes. I have seen some 60's Topps reprints that do show reprint date from the 90's in little font at bottom of back. Most don't show anything
Old 08-18-2019, 05:39 PM
Casey

To your point though, I can buy it. Check it with my own original types from my own collection, and request a refund if it seems out of whack. Sounds like a good plan....
Old 08-18-2019, 05:52 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Or you can shop from highly respectable companies and eBay sellers. There are also many on this board. But yes, if the card is a reprint, you can send it back within the window.
Personally, I buy a bunch from www.comc.com and it saves on shipping since you can leave your cards in your warehouse and send them all to you at once.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Rob

here ya go www.ebay.com/itm/383101921579 They have 4 or 5 Morgan rookies ending this week. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case12 View Post
To your point though, I can buy it. Check it with my own original types from my own collection, and request a refund if it seems out of whack. Sounds like a good plan....
Buy from reputable sellers and handle a lot of cards. As others said, you will get to know them. However, there are tons of great fakes so always be careful and know your trading partner (where possible). Buy from any of our advertisers and all should be good.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:07 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Buy from reputable sellers and handle a lot of cards. As others said, you will get to know them. However, there are tons of great fakes so always be careful and know your trading partner (where possible). Buy from any of our advertisers and all should be good.
Agree. Find good sellers. With a good, reliable seller you can buy with confidence something outside your realm of experience.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:34 PM
Casey

Default I now want a reprint - help?

Very old thread I started.

My question is now the opposite - where (or how) can I get a reprint card?

Scenario - Player has agreed to sign my 62 rookie card ttm. I sorta don't want to loose the original card in the mail. I don't mind him signing a reprint. It's my private collection. I'd like it to be fairly realism - front and back cardboard though - mark reprint anywhere on the back. The guy is not HOF so I can't readily find it.

I searched to find an answer. I am sure others have the same desired dilemma.

Help??? Casey
Old 09-14-2022, 02:28 PM
Rob

Who is the player? I know Dover reprinted some 1962 Topps stars in 1978. Topps also reprinted stars in the 90's.

If it's someone like Bob Veale, you could probably find an original for under $10 on eBay, if you look at auctions that start at .99.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps62rookiesveale.jpg (116.4 KB, 256 views)
Old 09-14-2022, 02:33 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The 62 rookie parade cards sell for a lot more than one would expect. The last creased up low grade Veale sold for $28 and it’s one of the cheaper ones

I don’t think I’ve come across a RP reprint, come to think of it.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:49 PM
Rob

www.ebay.com/itm/295047355005

www.ebay.com/itm/304532942618

I'll defer to Greg on 62 Topps, but I still recommend just buying an original card.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:58 PM

You got that right, Greg. Those Rookie Parade hi numbers are a royal pain to try and find at a decent price.

Until recently, the Pepitone card from that set was the oldest multi-player RC on which every player was still living. It was nearly impossible to land a couple beaters that still presented fairly nicely. I sent them in to a Pepitone signing. He signed perfectly. On to Phil Linz, who had been sick for years but had miraculously felt well enough to start answering his mail again. Unfortunately, his wellness was short-lived and more unfortunately, so was he. I never saw those cards again.

After we lost the harmonica player, the iconic '63 Pete Rose took the place as the oldest multi-player RC with all men still living. That didn't last very long, however, as Pedro Gonzalez put an end to the record.

Now, I'm not sure which card holds that record. Guessing there still has to be a '64 two-player RC where both guys are still here. If not, there's definitely some in '65.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:30 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
You got that right, Greg. Those Rookie Parade hi numbers are a royal pain to try and find at a decent price.
Ain't that the truth. I don't know why; they are not more difficult than the other highs and there are no huge names among them (Uecker, McDowell, Pepitone, Veale, some good players but not huge stars). They sell at many multiples other highs though, for some hideous cards in a beautiful set. I have 13 cards to go to complete my basic set of 62's, 3 of which are in the handful of Rookie Parades at the very end of the set. I classify them in that category of cards I just don't understand the appeal of, like the 52 Pafko, the 66 Jackson/Shirley, etc, that sell for large premiums in any condition. The Uecker is going to cost me as much or more than the Mantle.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:36 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Ain't that the truth. I don't know why; they are not more difficult than the other highs and there are no huge names among them (Uecker, McDowell, Pepitone, Veale, some good players but not huge stars). They sell at many multiples other highs though, for some hideous cards in a beautiful set. I have 13 cards to go to complete my basic set of 62's, 3 of which are in the handful of Rookie Parades at the very end of the set. I classify them in that category of cards I just don't understand the appeal of, like the 52 Pafko, the 66 Jackson/Shirley, etc, that sell for large premiums in any condition. The Uecker is going to cost me as much or more than the Mantle.
Is it possible that crossover appeal expands the market of buyers such that the demand increases substantially, with a corresponding increase in the price?

A rather extreme example: 68T #490 has Mays, Mantle, and Killebrew, and as a result, appeal to collectors for all 3 players, which drives the price higher than if just one of those players was on the card.

1963 Post complete panel
1964 Sports Heroes stickers
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-14-2022, 04:40 PM
Casey

Player is Ed Olivares. #598 highest 62 card. Rookie Parade. Still interested in an answer, but......

If someone wants to sell me one for a few bucks, please let me know and I won't worry about the reprint question. Any condition - not run through washer/dryer.

Please pm me asap. Casey
Old 09-14-2022, 04:48 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Is it possible that crossover appeal expands the market of buyers such that the demand increases substantially, with a corresponding increase in the price?

A rather extreme example: 68T #490 has Mays, Mantle, and Killebrew, and as a result, appeal to collectors for all 3 players, which drives the price higher than if just one of those players was on the card.
I’d think so, but none of the rookie parades has more than 1 noteworthy player. Combo cards typically sell for less than the price of the biggest star on them solo.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:49 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Player is Ed Olivares. #598 highest 62 card. Rookie Parade. Still interested in an answer, but......

If someone wants to sell me one for a few bucks, please let me know and I won't worry about the reprint question. Any condition - not run through washer/dryer.

Please pm me asap. Casey
Like I said earlier, I don’t think a reprint of this exists. The 1962 set hadn’t ever been reprinted in full, only reprints of some super stars (and complete frauds posing as the real thing for the same). You’d have to make your own or pay the $30 for a real one.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:05 AM
Rob

I don't have a 62 Olivares or I'd send you one. Here are a few auctions going on, on eBay right now.

www.ebay.com/itm/255723005583
www.ebay.com/itm/363981403280
www.ebay.com/itm/234693432512

I noticed Olivares only had 35 MLB AB's. He never played for the Colt 45's as far as I know. Houston was the minor league affiliate for the Cards for many years before my time. I'm guessing he's a neighbor or family friend who may have not been asked for his autograph in 50 years.

Last edited by RCMcKenzie; 09-15-2022 at 02:09 AM. Reason: correct link
Old 09-15-2022, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I don't have a 62 Olivares or I'd send you one. Here are a few auctions going on, on eBay right now.

I noticed Olivares only had 35 MLB AB's. He never played for the Colt 45's as far as I know. Houston was the minor league affiliate for the Cards for many years before my time. I'm guessing he's a neighbor or family friend who may have not been asked for his autograph in 50 years.
You're not an autograph collector, I take it.

Practically every player, no matter how brief his MLB career, still gets asked for his autograph via mail requests at least a few times a month, if not much, much more. The only ones who don't are those that collectors can't seem to manage to track down valid addresses for.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:36 PM
Wayne V

Default Multi player Rookie Cards

Quote:
Were the 1962 multi-player rookie cards the 1st year Topps did that ?
I never liked that, thought topps should give a player his own card. If he wasn't good enough for his own card, what was the point of keeping his card ? Were these guys scrubs ?
I think a lot of kids didn't value these cards highly. Maybe they were the 1st cards a kid would choose to put in the bicycle spokes.
In later years, multi player rookie cards were in earlier series, with less players on the cards. I think kid collectors got more used to them and became more accepting.
So I think those Rookie Parade cards are so valuable because they are so scarce, which had a lot to do with kid collectors preferences back in the day.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:00 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Who is the player? I know Dover reprinted some 1962 Topps stars in 1978. Topps also reprinted stars in the 90's.

If it's someone like Bob Veale, you could probably find an original for under $10 on eBay, if you look at auctions that start at .99.
This is curious. I've see Uecker rookies from time to time listed as "reprints " but I thought the sellers didnt know better. Are the stamped reprint anywhere? How can you tell?

Thanks in advance

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-15-2022, 02:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
Were the 1962 multi-player rookie cards the 1st year Topps did that ?
I never liked that, thought topps should give a player his own card. If he wasn't good enough for his own card, what was the point of keeping his card ? Were these guys scrubs ?
I think a lot of kids didn't value these cards highly. Maybe they were the 1st cards a kid would choose to put in the bicycle spokes.
In later years, multi player rookie cards were in earlier series, with less players on the cards. I think kid collectors got more used to them and became more accepting.
So I think those Rookie Parade cards are so valuable because they are so scarce, which had a lot to do with kid collectors preferences back in the day.
The 62’s are the first of the multi player rookies that Topps used for a long time. There are many equally obscure guys with solo cards though; it doesn’t seem people threw away the ‘filler’ players as there are tons of them all still around and most sell for the cheapest prices. The RP’s aren’t scarce, is the thing. Maybe if you’re looking for a PSA 9, but they are widely and easily available all the time, in quantity similar to the other cards in its series.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
This is curious. I've see Uecker rookies from time to time listed as "reprints " but I thought the sellers didnt know better. Are the stamped reprint anywhere? How can you tell?

Thanks in advance
Ted, Billy is correct that I'm getting over my skis in this thread. This is not really my area of expertise. Here is a Banks reprint. I have not seen Uecker reprinted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toppsdoverbanks.jpg (201.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg toppsdover62banksb.jpg (192.0 KB, 88 views)
Old 09-15-2022, 04:15 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Easy tell! Thanks

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-15-2022, 04:25 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I’d think so, but none of the rookie parades has more than 1 noteworthy player. Combo cards typically sell for less than the price of the biggest star on them solo.
Counterpoint: Mays + Mantle 62T #18 in PSA 8 sells these days for ~$3K, give or take, whereas Mantle AS 62T #471 in PSA 8 sells for ~$1.5K.

Checking out pop reports, #18 is slightly more abundant in PSA 8, and about twice as abundant in PSA 7. They're almost exactly the same pop counts in PSA 9. So it's not like pop counts are driving these differences.

But maybe this is the exception that proves the rule?

Or maybe you were thinking about combo cards with just one big star?

1963 Post complete panel
1964 Sports Heroes stickers
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-16-2022, 07:59 AM
Casey

Quote:

Thank you. I mailed my original yesterday. It should come back as I have someone hand delivering it. If not, I'll grab one like these.

These floating head cards can be a bit difficult for autographs. Especially if more than one signed, or one has died. The Dick Farrell/ Sandy Koufax/ bob Gibson one #9 strikeout leaders is example.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:03 AM
Casey

Quote:
Thank you. I mailed my original yesterday. It should come back as I have someone hand delivering it. If not, I'll grab one like these.

These floating head cards can be a bit difficult for autographs. Especially if more than one signed, or one has died. The Dick Farrell/ Sandy Koufax/ bob Gibson one #9 strikeout leaders is example.
I'm only interested in the Dick Farrell auto. He's hard to find anyway.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:24 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Counterpoint: Mays + Mantle 62T #18 in PSA 8 sells these days for ~$3K, give or take, whereas Mantle AS 62T #471 in PSA 8 sells for ~$1.5K.

Checking out pop reports, #18 is slightly more abundant in PSA 8, and about twice as abundant in PSA 7. They're almost exactly the same pop counts in PSA 9. So it's not like pop counts are driving these differences.

But maybe this is the exception that proves the rule?

Or maybe you were thinking about combo cards with just one big star?
Why are you using the AS and not Mantle’s base card? I don’t follow PSA 8 but I know in my grade range the combo cards sell for significantly less than a base card. My Mays/Mantle cost me about 1/10th of my Mantle base. They always have.